Author Topic: Liner socks? Are they real?  (Read 3354 times)

jimbob

• Veteran Member
Re: Liner socks? Are they real?
« Reply #15 on: 14:08:24, 25/09/18 »
Its obvious here nobody has experimented or used 1000mile socks.

By some of the comments above, its obvious some of us have never tried them, or even heard about them.
Your assumption is quite wrong. I have tried them. I find them useless for long hikes. They stink very quickly . They take an age to dry when washed on the trail.Their weight comparison to two pairs is about the same,  dependant on the weights of the socks compared of course.I find that hand washing causes them to "
clump".

I threw them away as soon as I could get some merino outers and bamboo inners.

Too little, too late, too bad......

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 14:10:21, 25/09/18 »
I refer my esteemed colleague to the last sentence of the second paragraph of my first post on this thread, to whit:
  "I had a brief flirtation with lined socks but the outer and inners shrunk at different rates and they soon became uncomfortable."
Thus I submit that I have had experience of 1000 mile socks.  Admittedly only with dry feet as i wear decent boots (and gaiters when the occasion demands).
They were not the most comfortable socks I have ever walked in but at least they did not give me blisters.  Perhaps the inners and outers are made of a different mix or perhaps the weave is different  but they became unwearable for the reasons given and got junked much more quickly than other pairs which I normally use until a hole appears.  Not vfm for me.
Solvitur Ambulando

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 14:28:13, 25/09/18 »

By some of the comments above, its obvious some of us have never tried them, or even heard about them.

Sigh  ::)
Where there's a will ...

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 14:59:05, 25/09/18 »
Oh dear, has someone lost a troll?

For the record, I have tried 1000 mile socks but preferred the Bridgedale liner sock and on top either Bridgedale trail socks or cheaper Karrimor thicker socks for the winter.

Few reasons, firstly the 1000 mile socks felt quite tight around the feet, the Bridgedales dont. Secondly, on a LDW at the end of the day I prefer to have liner socks on as it's easier to dry them than a combined pair.

My main reason is that if you walk 20+ miles each day, especially in the summer, socks can get a "bit" whiffy so if I'm doing multi day walks I usually change liner socks each day but the outer sock will do me for days as the liner socks seem to absorb the whiffyness (is that a word?) leaving the outer socks fresher and meaning carrying less on multi day walks (less weight), try doing that with 1000 mile socks.

You yourself said that you've not tried any of the 1000 mile walking socks, so how can YOU judge and then look down your nose at the rest of us making statements that are obviously made to try and wind people up.

I actually wonder if you ever do any walking or if you just sit there in your sad little worl wondering what you can do to annoy others. I get the feeling that I'm not alone.
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 15:36:25, 25/09/18 »
When I do two pairs of socks I use thin merino office socks for the inner and then thicker walking socks for the outer. My thinking is that merino is very soft on the skin, warm when damp and wears out relatively easily thus it's the sock doing the wearing out, not my skin. Seems to work pretty well.

I've never tried 1000 Mile Socks. Might give them a try. However I'm struggling to see the advantage of them over two pairs of socks?

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 15:51:15, 25/09/18 »
At around a tenner a pair 1000mile socks are good value, but ive not tried any of their walking ones, so cannot really say how good they are.

Their the only sock ive used that even in the most adverse weather conditions, never gave me any blisters

You're contradicting yourself again DA  :D
Where there's a will ...

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 17:55:53, 25/09/18 »

Their design include an inner liner sock of varying thickness, depending on which activity you want them for.
They have been available for many years, and they really work.
Their the only sock ive used that even in the most adverse weather conditions, never gave me any blisters, and that included having a constantly waterlogged boot for almost thirty miles of a Beacons challenge walk back in 1992.
Their walking socks have been designed in a way, that you have two pairs of socks carefully sewn together, thus almost removing friction hot spots that lead to blisters.

Never heard of them, to be honest.

Thick pair of socks over a thin pair works for me; haven't had a blister or even a 'hot spot' for years, even when my feet get soaked.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 18:47:51, 25/09/18 »
I've had a couple of pairs of 1000 miles socks.

The first pair I bought about 10 years ago. At time my "usual sock policy" was to wear one pair of medium weight wool socks. I thought the 1000 mile socks was an improvement on that, always found them comfortable, never got a blister.

They lasted about seven years of fairly heavy use. During this period when not using the 1000 miles socks experimented a bit..moving to using liner socks and a medium weight wool on top.

I found that combo equally comfortable to 1000 miles socks..but still liked the latter. So when first set wore out bought another pair. For whatever reason the new pair have never felt as comfortable as the old pair..maybe it's the old story of a product being "improved", that they are a slightly different product from old pair.

On balance liner/ outer sock combo is most likely better approach..it allows more flexibility as you can "ring changes" with different liners/ outers till each person finds optimum comfort for self.

rosam

« Reply #23 on: 10:00:46, 26/09/18 »

Again DA you're spouting rubbish.  The whole point of liner socks is that one can rub against the other!  The inner one sticks to your foot while the outer one sticks to your boot.  Any rubbing is between the two sock layers.  This prevents hot spots and blisters on your feet.  Having used this method for around 50 years I guarantee it works  O0

That is correct, the friction happens in between the sock layers, however it didn't work for me despite trying in many occasions. Blisters are a complicated thing and what works for some it doesn't for others. In my case, I prevented them before they happened by using tape in the sensitive areas (and I wore the liners too, just in case)

Couchwalker

« Reply #24 on: 13:15:20, 26/09/18 »

A far thicker sock with one of their thiner socks built in, so you could describe them as having an inner liner.

As a fairly new walker, this sounds like they could get really uncomfortable. I think I'll stick to my liner sock and separate outer sock, plus it means I can choose which outer to wear based on the temperature. I use Bridgedale purely because that was the first proper walking socks I found.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 18:50:23, 09/10/18 »

Spotted some double layer 'anti blister' socks in Tesco's of all places late last week.

Not for me, though.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy