Author Topic: River Walks on BBC  (Read 1096 times)

April

• Veteran Member
River Walks on BBC
« on: 22:18:42, 10/12/18 »
I've not watched any yet, perhaps worth watching  :)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episodes/b0btrpht
Hate will never win

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
Re: River Walks on BBC
« Reply #1 on: 22:44:21, 10/12/18 »
Looks interesting. I have walked much of the Itchen, following the Itchen Navigation from Southampton to Winchester on several occasions. The Wayfarers Walk also spends some time by the Itchen, further north at Alresford. This river is definitely worth walking besides. I am sure many of the others will be worthwhile excursions.

adalard

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 05:41:03, 11/12/18 »
Coincidentally, we watched a couple of episodes last night - the Dove/Soar/Trent one and the Hodder episode. The routes (all linear so far) are maybe aimed at people who are just getting into walking but the scenery and history were interesting. We enjoyed both episodes.  :)

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 10:58:03, 11/12/18 »
Take it this is only on the interweb, not freeview?  :( :-\
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 12:10:47, 11/12/18 »

Thanks for the link. April

Just watched no1 The Exe.
Interesting though as it only dealt with the first 12 miles of the 65 miles of the Exe so a extremely limited in its depiction of the river as a whole though a good reminder of how lovely the walking is on Exmoor.

A pleasant half hour but not enough about the river to warrant the title. I will refrain from commenting on the plummy tones of the two presenters ;)

No2 The Dart
For me a much better programme, though not a walk, it really captured the essence of the Dart from source to sea.
Surprised that Buckfast Abbey and the historic use of the Dart to power the mill didn't feature at all.

Now looking forward to watching the rivers I don't know

Incidentally it has reminded me that my own river project - to walk the length of the Otter as near as possible to the river - needs finishing.
(Oh help I 'm supposed to be Christmas shopping)[/color]  

« Last Edit: 12:56:13, 11/12/18 by Jac »
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 09:33:43, 12/12/18 »
A new one was shown on BBC1 on Monday 10th evening, about the River Lea.
I watched my recording last night, and frankly it was b. awful.

There was no expanation of the geography or history of the river and the parallel  man-made Lea Navigation, the "walk" was only of a section, distance unstated and with no map shown, of the southern end of the river prior to it entering the Thames, while all the wildlife (a few birds were seen) was "fantastic" although the programme chose to skip the stark concrete channel that passes the length of the Olympic Park.

Then, like all television walking programmes, the bulk of it showed the presenter visiting various sites along the way and scarcely any of his "walk". 

I'm in no hurry to watch another one.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy