Author Topic: PW walker numbers  (Read 3372 times)

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Re: PW walker numbers
« Reply #15 on: 12:03:31, 18/02/20 »
<<snip>> ... crumbling shabby-chic manor house of an eccentric in Cumbria, my Edinburgh room like an ice box, the rather posh family home in Surrey where it was obvious that I was using the oldest teenage son's room, he presumably having been moved elsewhere for the night for my benefit, and the prissy bungalow in Cornwall with about twenty cushions and pillows on the bed, where I felt I didn't dare touch anything.
  I feel your pain.  I have enough trouble spending the night in one of my kids' houses
Solvitur Ambulando

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 12:46:24, 18/02/20 »
 The numbers from five years ago vary from 2000-3,500 a year walking the complete trail.I should imagine these numbers are based on the surveys that I have answered numerous times when walking the route.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/europe/united-kingdom/articles/The-Pennine-Way-Britains-greatest-walking-trail/
 https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/analysis/why-do-so-many-people-feel-the-need-to-walk-the-pennine-way-1-8103398

I have walked the route several times and have come to the conclusion that it is mainly a backpackers route as the number of people I have met staying in B&B is quite small.Youth hostels made it viable for people who didn't want to camp but since they have closed the cost of B& B over 17-20 days is out of  reach for a lot of people.The shorter coast to coast is a more viable option for most people.

forest view

« Reply #17 on: 14:20:35, 08/03/20 »
The numbers walking the Pennine way have grown every year since 2006 (it was badly affected by Foot and mouth when all footpaths in Northumberland were closed for 2 years) We used to take tourists and cyclists but now don`t have any spare beds they are all occupied by Pennine wayers & lands end to John o Groats walkers from April to October. In recent years we have shut down during the winter as we are well past retirement age and 6 months of 7 day weeks is all we can manage. I would love a younger couple to come along and buy Forest View ( the recent almost sale unfortunately fell through at the last minute.) It is a great life you are always at home when the kids get in from school etc. it is hard work but I wouldn`t have changed the last 45 years in hospitality for anything else I know when we do find a buyer that we will miss the life terribly but it has given us a good lifestyle for all of our working lives and thousands of brilliant memories which we will never forget.   
www.forestviewbyrness.co.uk 
# 1 place to stay in Byrness (Tripadvisor)

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 14:34:47, 08/03/20 »
The numbers walking the Pennine way have grown every year since 2006 (it was badly affected by Foot and mouth when all footpaths in Northumberland were closed for 2 years) We used to take tourists and cyclists but now don`t have any spare beds they are all occupied by Pennine wayers & lands end to John o Groats walkers from April to October. In recent years we have shut down during the winter as we are well past retirement age and 6 months of 7 day weeks is all we can manage. I would love a younger couple to come along and buy Forest View ( the recent almost sale unfortunately fell through at the last minute.) It is a great life you are always at home when the kids get in from school etc. it is hard work but I wouldn`t have changed the last 45 years in hospitality for anything else I know when we do find a buyer that we will miss the life terribly but it has given us a good lifestyle for all of our working lives and thousands of brilliant memories which we will never forget.
Thanks for this. My wife has recently retired from running our house as a bnb whilst I was away working and helping out when I could but it is extremely tying and actually hard work and long hours when looking after people. Aye folks is canny but work isnae. Ahd age is a muckle hacky price to pay just for being bonny and canny isn't it.
Too little, too late, too bad......

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 14:58:10, 08/03/20 »
Numbers may be hidden in here:
http://publications.naturalengland.org.uk/file/4903525494030336&ved=2ahUKEwiC3PLwkIvoAhVDY8AKHUjLDAIQFjAAegQIARAB&usg=AOvVaw2wLhw79CbxFTKYMIorV4I9

Shall make the link shorter when I get home.  I am currently in the second most visited place in Cornwall, it is full of dog walkers.

Re accomodation as s proxy for numbers, the method of renting out has changed a lot in the last decade, no one had heard if AirBnB in2010.
« Last Edit: 18:49:25, 08/03/20 by SteamyTea »
I don't use emojis, irony is better, you decide

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 17:54:46, 08/03/20 »
Thanks for this interesting report. Have quickly scanned it and even though it has none of the info I was chasing it is very informative even though its 4 years old. I am going to see if I can find the latest report.

I can see how an idea of visitor numbers are more easily calculated for Hadrians Wall, given that many walkers buy the passport. (not necessarily accurate but a guide)

The details from Forest View are valuable also as that data helps others decide whether it is commercially viable to offer accomodation to walkers in areas where it has disappeared, or become scarce.
Airbnb are an unreliable planning source due to the ease with which bookings are cancelled, lack of insurance and in many cases just outright scans, and that last is from personal experience. They have just removed hundreds of scam sites from London, although I had a great genuine one recently in Dufton which is not currently advertised.
Too little, too late, too bad......

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 19:25:57, 08/03/20 »
Forest View is probably a good gauge of people who make it that far as they have little competition when it comes to other places to sleep, either in a bed or under canvas, compared to other places. Also, however many days you are taking over the walk, very very few people will not stop in Byrness.
The other place to enquire would be the Border Hotel if they are prepared to tell you how many free drinks they give out a year.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy