Author Topic: National 3 Peaks Challenge, 3 Times  (Read 5172 times)

samueljmarriott

National 3 Peaks Challenge, 3 Times
« on: 10:33:31, 19/05/20 »
Hi

First post on here

I've noticed on the 3 peaks website it has a record set by the British Army in 2011 doing the National 3 peaks challenge, 3 times. I've tried to google some more information about it, but got zero. I wanted to see if anyone on here knew anything, in regards to routes they took, times, or anything

I've tried to contact the company, but no luck so far, and contacting the army, but unless I have some basic info like participants, they don't know where to start looking

Thanks

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Re: National 3 Peaks Challenge, 3 Times
« Reply #1 on: 12:23:07, 19/05/20 »
Unfortunately, there is no such thing as the Army in the same sense that there is Royal Air Force or Royal Navy.  The Army is a loose association of Regiments and Corps so yes, you would need which one to approach, assuming they even still exist, following reorganisations and defence cuts.
You could try https://www.[censored].co.uk/community/
The censored bit is a r r s e without the spaces  - is is the site of the Army Rumour Service Network
Welcome to the forum from Devon by the way.
« Last Edit: 12:44:32, 19/05/20 by ninthace »
Solvitur Ambulando

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 13:02:33, 19/05/20 »
Can't help you with your query, but welcome to the forum anyway  :)
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 08:24:46, 20/05/20 »
Hi and welcome.

Presumably you have contacted the Three Peaks Challenge web site to ask them who it was.
Very clever of whoever owns the site, there is no name or contact details, to set up a limited company and then give the impression that they are the 'official' 3 peaks organisation.

forgotmyoldpassword

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 22:05:05, 21/05/20 »
Hi

First post on here

I've noticed on the 3 peaks website it has a record set by the British Army in 2011 doing the National 3 peaks challenge, 3 times. I've tried to google some more information about it, but got zero. I wanted to see if anyone on here knew anything, in regards to routes they took, times, or anything

I've tried to contact the company, but no luck so far, and contacting the army, but unless I have some basic info like participants, they don't know where to start looking

Thanks

Hey there

It's highly likely if they're going for 3x N3P that they'll be taking the easiest routes, which means Wasdale route up Scafell, Pyg track up Snowdon and the Tourist track up Ben Nevis.

Not sure about the record, it's very doable though, particularly since you get nice rests between the peaks.  The challenge is more about staying awake, but if you know you're doing it 3x then 'planned sleeps' become much easier.

If they were doing it with army issue kit weight that's fair enough though!

Slogger

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 15:29:43, 22/05/20 »
Helicopter in between - Easy! ;D

Slogger

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 15:26:48, 15/06/20 »
Some people count the £ Peaks in different ways to others too. Our 1st one was completed in 20hrs 2 mins from Glen Nevis to Pen Y Pass. We met a group of four guys who were celebrating having completed theirs just inside of the 24 hours, however they counted theirs from Ben Nevis summit to the summit of Snowdon.

forgotmyoldpassword

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 20:45:14, 16/06/20 »
The way we counted it was the moment you leave the car park to climb BN to the time you hit the summit on Snowdon.

Which was quite a physical push if you're driving a 55mph limited minibus between the hills.

Skip

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 21:15:52, 16/06/20 »
. . .quite a physical push if you're driving a 55mph limited minibus between the hills . . .

But less so if you are a rally ace driving a racing spec Ford Capri Vita 6  ;-) 

A couple of years before the national 70mph speed limit came into force, Joss Naylor (driven by Frank Taylor) did the Three Peaks in 11 hours 56 minutes. His time started when he set foot on Ben Nevis and finished when he had completed the descent from Snowdon. 
Skip

forgotmyoldpassword

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 21:39:08, 16/06/20 »
I was going to say, I cocked that one up, it's 'door to door', so it's set foot on Ben Nevis to getting back to the vehicle on Snowdon.  I don't remember much of that though, I was quite sleep deprived and did my last N3P in a gale.

11 56 is incredible but judging from the amount of speed cameras I passed when I was there, it won't be beaten by someone without deep pockets or willing to lose their license :D

Hiitsbry

« Reply #10 on: 08:20:57, 04/04/21 »
I might have some insite on this, I did the three peaks challenge in June 2011. At the same time a team from the British army were indeed doing three peaks three times. They started at nevis the same time as us,midday, they were coming down as we were still going up. We arrived at the car park at scarfel the same time as them and had a chat. From memory it was 2 guys with a third that was doing all the support ie driving and cooking but not hiking, they would sleep during the drives and hot meals would be ready for them at the bottom of each hike, they were in a mini bus that I got the impression was slow or they kept to speed limits, they passed us on Snowden and commented that they are about to do Snowden again. So their route was nevis, scar, snow, snow, scar, nevis, nevis , scar, snow. Dont know if it was these guys but a coincidence if not.

Our group was successful, 4 of us, 22:45 from nevis car park to Snowden car park, we slept and ate on the drives , we didnt necessarily follow the speed limits but the we were tired driving in dark from nevis to scarfel and had traffic from scarfel to snowden, we shared the driving equally, we all started and finished together. None of us were seasoned hikers, weather was very good although we did see a bit of everything. Great experience

G4ry

« Reply #11 on: 14:58:09, 31/08/22 »
Hello - my first post on here  :angel:

A couple of years before the national 70mph speed limit came into force, Joss Naylor (driven by Frank Taylor) did the Three Peaks in 11 hours 56 minutes. His time started when he set foot on Ben Nevis and finished when he had completed the descent from Snowdon.

Skip

Having recently attempted 3 National Peaks 24 hour Challenge twice (unsuccessfully) I have done a bit more research and read about Josh Naylor's record (11h 56m) - even more impressive is that his times included dipping his toe in the water at Sea Level at Fort William and getting transported in the British Vita 6 Racing Capri to/from the climbing start/finish points after the climbing finished to Caernarfon at Sea Level again!!

Source: Motorpunk article

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy