Author Topic: More Problems With Cows  (Read 700 times)

Lee in Doncaster

• Veteran Member
More Problems With Cows
« on: 18:24:27, 17/07/19 »
Another scary situation with cows today.
The stile I needed to use was in the corner of the field blocked by two dozen cows. The only way for them move out of the way was for them to charge straight at me.

What would you do?  Fortunately I did have a way out.  

More details and some musing on my walking blog:  

https://peakwalking.blogspot.com/2019/07/slatepit-dale-uppertown-bentley-bridge.html
Walking every week in the Peak District...or somewhere else   http://peakwalking.blogspot.com

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
Re: More Problems With Cows
« Reply #1 on: 20:00:37, 17/07/19 »
I'd have said.......

Please Moooooooooooooooove....  O0

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 20:13:22, 17/07/19 »
In similar situations I have advanced gently as far as one side as possible to give them an escape route past me.  Once one cow works it out, the rest usually follow.  Failing that, I have been known to push them out of the way!
Solvitur Ambulando

Doddy

« Reply #3 on: 10:16:52, 18/07/19 »
What Ninthace says.
Once I approached a stile with a bunch of cows stood in front. I was raised amongst stock so I gave the nearest cow a big slap on the backside; it turned its big Bull face towards me. I was over the stile very quickly.

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 10:20:25, 18/07/19 »
Pushed my way through I suppose. :-\
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 11:03:47, 18/07/19 »
Going on the photo they look like bullocks.I think I would have found another route even if it involved climbing over one or two walls.Far too confined space to make a quick escape if things start to go wrong.

Lee in Doncaster

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 15:28:32, 18/07/19 »
Going on the photo they look like bullocks.I think I would have found another route even if it involved climbing over one or two walls.Far too confined space to make a quick escape if things start to go wrong.

I didn't want to get close enough to see if they were bullocks or not. I knew the confined space might be a problem and so didn't go anywhere near them.
Walking every week in the Peak District...or somewhere else   http://peakwalking.blogspot.com

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 15:50:21, 18/07/19 »
Walking on a section of the Tarka Trail which runs along a section of former railway we met a large herd of cows that had strayed onto the line through an open gate.  As we walked along, the cows naturally walked in front of us but were hemmed in by the fences on both sides.  We kept well to one side of the path but the cows would not take the hint and break back past us despite becoming more anxious as they got further from their field.  Eventually, we came to a gate across the trail and they had nowhere left to go.  I slowly worked my way up by one fence (with Mrs N tucked in well behind) and they finally got the idea and started to break back past us so we could get through the gate.  It was just a question of staying calm, making reassuring noises and not making any sudden moves - just giving them time to work it out.
Solvitur Ambulando

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy