Author Topic: Brean Down - goats, graffiti and grand designs.  (Read 4692 times)

adalard

• Veteran Member
Afternoon all.  :)

We've had a bit of blue sky here this week, albeit intermittent and sadly only enjoyed from indoors, and it got me hankering after the summer and the seaside. With no funds to jet off to warmer climes, I revisited an old walk from a few years back for my latest blog. We've holidayed down in Somerset a couple of times and Brean Down has become a favourite place of ours for a walk. It's particularly lovely in late spring/early summer, which is when our second visit took place, the subject of this blog post.

Image may contain: beach, sky, outdoor and water
Brean Down from the start of our walk.

Image may contain: grass and outdoor
One of the Down's residents.

Image may contain: sky and outdoor
Looking west along the headland.

Image may contain: outdoor
Brean Down Fort.

Image may contain: sky and outdoor
Inside the fort.

Image may contain: plant, sky, flower, outdoor and nature
Some of wildflowers we encountered - sea thrift, I think.

As always, there are more pictures and a full write-up at the blog:

http://www.occasionallylost.com/2018/01/brean-down.html

Cheers,  O0

Ridge

• Veteran Member
Re: Brean Down - goats, graffiti and grand designs.
« Reply #1 on: 16:18:08, 02/02/18 »
What is this 'summer' of which you speak? It feels like it has been cold and grey for ever.

adalard

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 16:49:17, 02/02/18 »
What is this 'summer' of which you speak? It feels like it has been cold and grey for ever.

;D  It sure does...

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 18:51:54, 02/02/18 »
Lovely photos adalard, looks to be an interesting bit of coastline O0
***Happiness is only a smile away***

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 20:11:09, 02/02/18 »
Looks a lovely walk adalard    :)   I think one of the joys of walking in spring and summer is seeing the wildflowers

John Walker

« Reply #5 on: 21:54:26, 02/02/18 »
More lovely pictures and great descriptions in your latest blog  :) .  As I grew up just a few miles from Brean Down this was another memory-jerking TR for me.  I remember walking along the headland many times (pre-goat, I think?) and learning to drive (at an illegally young age  :o ) on the massive expanse of sand below the Down. Looking forward to your next blog.
John W
http://www.greenlives.org.uk/walk.html
National Trails completed: SWCP, Thames, SDW and NDW

adalard

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 09:09:48, 03/02/18 »
Lovely photos adalard, looks to be an interesting bit of coastline O0

Thanks, Sunnydale. Yes, it's a fascinating spot - lots of history around there.  :)

Looks a lovely walk adalard    :)   I think one of the joys of walking in spring and summer is seeing the wildflowers

Cheers, Dovegirl.  :)  I totally agree. It's only really since I had the blog that I started taking more in-depth interest in wildflowers so sadly I didn't take as many photos of them on Brean Down then as I would have done now. Still, that's a good excuse to return...  :)

More lovely pictures and great descriptions in your latest blog  :) .  As I grew up just a few miles from Brean Down this was another memory-jerking TR for me.  I remember walking along the headland many times (pre-goat, I think?) and learning to drive (at an illegally young age  :o ) on the massive expanse of sand below the Down. Looking forward to your next blog.
John W

Thanks, John - I really appreciate that.  O0  I'm glad the trip report brought back happy memories.  :)  I can see how useful that enormous, flat beach would be for learning to handle a car. I'm not sure how long the goats have been there, to be honest.

Welsh Rambler

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 20:46:44, 03/02/18 »
Enjoyed that thanks. O0

The Royal Welsh regiment are looking for a new goat mascot and that handsome specimen could fit the bill  ;D

Regards Keith

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 12:25:32, 05/02/18 »
Wonderfully written report as usual, from you both stoically eating beef paste sandwiches to the awaiting large bottle of gin. Lovely pics too O0 I was an Enid Blyton fan too, I liked the "Adventure" series of books  :)
Hate will never win

adalard

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 15:35:30, 05/02/18 »
Enjoyed that thanks. O0
The Royal Welsh regiment are looking for a new goat mascot and that handsome specimen could fit the bill  ;D
Regards Keith

Cheers, Keith.  :)  I reckon he'd fit the part perfectly!  ;D

Wonderfully written report as usual, from you both stoically eating beef paste sandwiches to the awaiting large bottle of gin. Lovely pics too O0 I was an Enid Blyton fan too, I liked the "Adventure" series of books  :)

Thanks, April  O0   I wish I'd kept all my books from being a child - I don't know where they ended up but the loss of them has probably got something to do with why I now find it hard to part with a book I've read, even if I haven't really enjoyed it.  :)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy