Author Topic: Thermos Cooking..?  (Read 14452 times)

lightweightmick

Re: Thermos Cooking..?
« Reply #30 on: 23:40:44, 17/02/20 »
I don't really understand the advantages of cooking by Thermos - why not just fill a wide mouthed thermos with hot food?
Hot food? Where from..? 3-4 days worth..? In the past I've relied on carrying emergency 'stir and serve' in the form of Pot Rice (That Tikka was good!) etc. or instant mash as back up when food stops didn't deliver as expected. I'm working towards being more self reliant on the calories...  all input appreciated though.
Use a smiley ...you know it makes sense

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #31 on: 14:34:10, 18/02/20 »
I'm obviously misunderstanding the whole concept!
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Bhod

• Veteran Member
« Reply #32 on: 15:42:59, 18/02/20 »
I'm obviously misunderstanding the whole concept!
The concept I believe is to reduce the amount of fuel to actually 'cook' something by bringing it to boil and then sealing in a thermos flask to allow time and residual heat to finish off the cooking process.  Basically the haybox method of cooking but more limited and more compact, either that or I too have misunderstood the concept.
I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake.

davengf

« Reply #33 on: 16:30:25, 18/02/20 »
I'm curious, have you tried using a pot cosy, easy enough to make & probably lighter.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #34 on: 17:55:31, 18/02/20 »
I'm curious, have you tried using a pot cosy, easy enough to make & probably lighter.

Yes, I've heard of people using insulated jackets around a pan, but never tried it myself.

I have adopted the ultimate lightweight solution - I don't take a stove on short wild camps. I actually prefer oatcakes with cheese, dried sausage, nuts to re-hydrated food. Packed with calories and tasty. And I'm quite happy to skip a cuppa in the morning - a porridge bar (Stoats) and a sip of water will do me fine.

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #35 on: 18:00:52, 18/02/20 »
The concept I believe is to reduce the amount of fuel to actually 'cook' something by bringing it to boil and then sealing in a thermos flask to allow time and residual heat to finish off the cooking process.  Basically the haybox method of cooking but more limited and more compact, either that or I too have misunderstood the concept.
This method can’t save much in weight. The fuel savings may account for a small amount, but then you have the weight of the thermos, which will be more than the fuel saved. I can’t see the point in shaving small amounts of weight from my pack. I am the same with cameras. I would rather be comfortable and have the right tool for my needs and carry a bit more weight. If I wanted to save weight, I would follow Richard’s method and have done similar in the past.

Bhod

• Veteran Member
« Reply #36 on: 16:19:55, 19/02/20 »
Don't think it's a weight saving excercise as such, just a fuel saving one, could be wrong, will have to wait until OP resurfaces to clarify.

lightweightmick

« Reply #37 on: 17:31:12, 19/02/20 »
Heyup, I'm here reading all input with interest. My current set up is just to be able to boil water:

Gas.................150 (189 full as I recall 7gms per boil so amount taken tailored to suit)
Stove................25 (titanium)
Pan.....................8 (Alu - ex.dog food hold a mugful)
SnackPot Bowl....18 (doubles as cup)
Matches...............7 (assorted - some windproof)

- so there's nothing to 'pot wrap' as such and if I dig out my cookset I'll be adding weight that I could add in a Thermos (?)

If I use self-dehydrated meals I will be tempted to try using a couple of ziplock foil pouchs with some layers of aluminised bubble wrap, which would weigh far less...
In fact, I just weighed the missus's insulated sandwich bag (as an outer?) at 60 gms, which would hold 2 pouches sideways on. Could fill 2 pouches and stand sandwich bag on end...In practice I'd be limited to reconstituting with one panful per pouch - say curry in 1st and reboil for rice (the bag could then be infilled with some foil bubblewrap)

Still need to persevere with the flask 'cooking' yet though so I have something to compare to I reckon... it would double as a vessel also... could be keeping that tea or coffee hot for a quicker getaway from the footstops?
The reason for 'hot' over 'cold' is when moving fast, you're are setting your metabolism to lose heat. On stopping it takes a while (anything up to an hour) for the body's mechanism to switch back to conserving heat. There is a serious risk of hypothermia when using a bivvy/tarp set up. It's a good idea to carry a few of those 'hot pads' - placed in the groin or under an armpit they're very effective.
Cheers! Keep it coming - getting the old brain cells stimulated!

lightweightmick

« Reply #38 on: 17:32:55, 19/02/20 »
ps. just off to the shop - I'll get some Orzo - pretty sure they have it in Tesco...

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #39 on: 10:32:01, 20/02/20 »
The reason for 'hot' over 'cold' is when moving fast, you're are setting your metabolism to lose heat. On stopping it takes a while (anything up to an hour) for the body's mechanism to switch back to conserving heat. There is a serious risk of hypothermia when using a bivvy/tarp set up. It's a good idea to carry a few of those 'hot pads' - placed in the groin or under an armpit they're very effective.

I hear what you say about getting chilled when you suddenly stop - I pop on an extra jacket and, if cold, I'll get straight into my sleeping bag, clothes and all, once the tent is up. And start tucking into my high energy Orkney oatcakes (900kcal in a 200g pack). But people are very different - I don't feel the cold much; perhaps that layer of subcutaneous fat has its uses after all!

Having said that, for serious winter wild camping, I would still take a stove.

Bhod

• Veteran Member
« Reply #40 on: 11:46:02, 20/02/20 »
There is also the psychological effect of having or looking forward to a hot drink/meal.    In the most inclement of weather I'd rather look forward to a break with a hot drink or hot food (in whatever form) than a glass of spring water and a couple of oatcakes.  The latter may do the job needed ie rehydrate and fuel many needed calories but I can't say I'd be looking forward to them, each to their own though.

Birdman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #41 on: 12:05:54, 20/02/20 »
This is how I do it: DIY pot cosy to save fuel. Has the added advantage that the outside is cool, so when eating out of my pot I can simply put it on my lap or on the tentfloor. Pot, stove and up to 240g fuel canister all fits in, so it packs compact.

I have tested its effectivity by measuring how quickly boiled water (100°C) cools down. The final solution that I have chosen is the orange line. This was measured at 22°C and of course it cools down faster at subzero temperatures, but even then it still works.

So I bring the water to a boil, add the dehydrated pasta or rice meal, bring it to a boil again, then place the pot inside the pot cozy. After 10-12 minutes waiting the meal is ready. This thing has proven itself over thousands of miles of walking (hundreds of nights camping).
My travel and walking reports: https://www.hikingbirdman.com/

Birdman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #42 on: 12:10:45, 20/02/20 »
There is also the psychological effect of having or looking forward to a hot drink/meal.   

I fully agree. For me, even a simple hot meal is a massive boost to morale after a long day walking, especially in bad weather. For me personally that offsets any weight savings that can be had by not carrying a stove.
My travel and walking reports: https://www.hikingbirdman.com/

lightweightmick

« Reply #43 on: 14:52:39, 20/02/20 »
There is also the psychological effect of having or looking forward to a hot drink/meal...

Yeah, I'm with you on the hot... Just having Thermos-cooked Chilli Non Carne! It's very good - like super pot noodle I suppose without the ingredients downside..?
I broke wholewheat pasta (spaghetti) into half inch bits and added boiling water (remembering to add a little salt this time...) - having first warmed the pot - after 10 mins added soya mince, 1 tspn Coleman's Chilli Con Carne seasoning mix and a tspn of nutritional yeast. Resealed and left... had things to do and got distracted, so it was left for an hour. It was still nice and hot, but a little bland, so I added another tspn of both of above and bingo, it was good!
As the 'pot' is still warm after, it would need a quick rinse straight away, otherwise the remains would dry and be difficult to remove..?

I can see the potential for having a dessert cooking while you're having main course, with a bowl, so I'd keep the snackpot bowl (doubles as mug anyway), so, say a rice pud would be ready (flaked rice only took 10 mins) after the main. Would need 3 boilings of water though to follow with a cuppa.

Last night I tried the orzo pasta which took around 30-40  mins to cook:
from notes: 'added salt then dried soya pieces... (could try sosmix?)
sprinkled in some dried fajita mix and nutritional yeast ( a good dessert spoonful...)
which made for a very tasty mix - spicy too with the Fajita mix!'
I thought I'd get indigestion as it was late on, but didn't...

Has anyone found that a spicy meal keeps them warmer at night when outdoors btw?

lightweightmick

« Reply #44 on: 14:57:42, 20/02/20 »

I fully agree. For me, even a simple hot meal is a massive boost to morale after a long day
Hi Birdman what dimensions are the cookpot in the illustration pls?
For me it's also about bulk as don't carry a large sack. Cheers.
ps. I've yet to see if the small Thermos can hold enough for a full satisfying meal...

lunch worked out at:
20 gms Whole pasta (spaghetti - 1/2" lengths)
salt
20 gms Natural Soya Protein mince (Holland and Barrett)
2 tspns Coleman's Chilli Con Carne seasoning
2 tspns Nutritional Yeast

Cals    carbs       Fat         Protein      Fibre       VitC
198       16          2             29           6            0

(Nutrition stats via MFP)
Flask was not half full so double amount would be acceptable..? Aldi have unbranded vac flasks (or had...) next size up for around £6-7 which would def make a full size meal!
« Last Edit: 15:42:07, 20/02/20 by lightweightmick »

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy