Author Topic: Alternative to Snowdon  (Read 9436 times)

Matt010791

Alternative to Snowdon
« on: 17:25:13, 13/09/19 »
My parents have a place on Anglesey so me and my dad are gonna head over to Snowdonia on the Saturday. We were gonna walk Cadair idris but it’s 80 mile from Anglesey. Can anyone recommend a hidden gem closer to Snowdon that we could do please? Snowdon just gets a little busy and I fancy a change tbh.

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
Re: Alternative to Snowdon
« Reply #1 on: 17:47:43, 13/09/19 »
We did Moel Hebog from Beddgelert (where we were staying) as a warm up for Snowdon. Though we also included Moel Yr Ogof and Moel Lefn so it probably ended up being harder than Snowdon as there were lots of ups and downs! I think it was about 9 miles, a bit of easy scrambling heading up Moel Hebog and can be a bit tricky finding way back through the forest, but we had great views across to Snowdon. We walked it on a Bank Holiday Sunday and hardly saw anyone, unlike the following day when we tackled Snowdon!

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 18:01:42, 13/09/19 »
Anglesey Coastal Path - Church Bay round to Bull Bay is very scenic, almost guaranteed marine mammal sightings, especially from Cemaes to Amlwch.  There are some good figure of 8s or circulars as well as linears if you use 2 cars.
Cnicht is a bit of a trek to get there but there is a great horseshoe walk from Croesor.
Moel Siabod from Capel Curig
Moel Eilio from Llanberis
The Glyders from Ogwen Cottage (car park can get crowded early)  Up by Bwlch Tryfan, round the back by the Miners' Track and on to the Glyders, down by Devils Kitchen.

Solvitur Ambulando

Matt010791

« Reply #3 on: 19:02:28, 13/09/19 »
Thanks for the options I’ll have a look into them, love the coastal path  O0

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 19:13:24, 13/09/19 »
Cnicht and / or the Moelwyns makes for an interesting walk with great views towards Snowdon.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 20:32:27, 13/09/19 »
So many to choose from! Some good suggestions above but also consider...

Nantlle Ridge is a classic.
Also don't overlook the Carneddau - seriously high, but far less people than Snowdon.

Or you could try a roundabout route up Snowdon, starting in Llanberis and approaching over the lower hills to the west, Moel Eilio and Moel Cynghorion, if my memory serves me well. A nice appetiser before joining the path up the west ridge of Snowdon, which is one of the quieter ways up.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 14:14:30, 15/09/19 »
Yesterday i parked my car in the small carpark, a mile up the road above Aberfalls, and followed the Roman Road, but turned right at the signpost pointing towards DRUM.
Superb visibility, but surprisingly windy beyond Drum, and especially so from Foel Fras to Carnedd Llewelyn.

The wind was a real nuisance, but as the weather was fairly mild and beautifully clear, i thought Northern Carneddau here i come.

On returning from llewelyn i encountered a really decent bloke with his small terrier.

He said he had intended going to the Lakes, but the weather forecast was poor, so he chose the Northern Carneddau instead.

We began to talk, and i discovered he and his pooch, had just six Munroes to bag, for the set, and by the look of his clothing and kit, he looked every bit the vetran walker.

He was telling me the virtues of walking the Cairngorms, and how he thought these lofty Welsh mountains reminded him a bit of walking in the Highlands.

It was surprisingly busy as well, counting almost twelve fellow walkers.

If your blessed with fine clear weather, i can really recommend the Northern Carneddau, really easy walking, and such a vast expanse of mountains, that you could explore them for a very long time, without repeating the same walk.

The thing i most like about them, is how quiet they are, totally litter free, and a walkers dream.
« Last Edit: 18:01:48, 15/09/19 by Dyffryn Ardudwy »

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 16:45:14, 15/09/19 »
+1 for the northern Carneddau.

I recall having to turn back whilst climbing Drum from Bwlch y Ddeufaen, due to impossibly strong winds. We could only make progress up the rounded northern ridge by crawling, hanging on to tufts of grass and heather - decided to call it a day and dropped down to The Old Bull in Llanbedr y Cennin  :)

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 17:01:09, 15/09/19 »
This route in the Carneddau is one of the classics.  A couple of places where you will need to put hand to rock but nothing too drastic.
https://osmaps.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/route/521834/Trail-Magazine-A-rocking-new-route
Solvitur Ambulando

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 17:18:35, 15/09/19 »
This route in the Carneddau is one of the classics.  A couple of places where you will need to put hand to rock but nothing too drastic.
https://osmaps.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/route/521834/Trail-Magazine-A-rocking-new-route
Many years ago I did a similar route using the south ridge of Pen Yr Olewen. I think the linked route using the south east ridge would be more interesting.
« Last Edit: 22:06:21, 15/09/19 by Bigfoot_Mike »

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 17:44:26, 15/09/19 »
Many years ago I did a similar route using the south ridge of Pen Y Olewen. I think the linked route using the south east ridge would be more interesting.
  I have done the linked route a couple of times.  It is a pleasant way onto the ridge.  The drop off via Bwlch Eryl Farchog was the only sporty bit, harder going down than up IMHO but I still prefer to do it clockwise.
Solvitur Ambulando

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 18:10:35, 15/09/19 »
That route is probably as quiet as the Gerlan Cwm Caseg route, and takes you into some simply magical countryside.
I recon the reason your route is so quiet, is because Tryfan and the Glyders are encouraging less well informed visitors.

Tryfan is such a huge magnet to the A5 Nant Francon visitors, that many of them ignore, or have no idea whats on offer on the other side of the road.

The closest ive been to this route, is up the Fynnon Llygwy Reservoir road to Carnedd Llewelyn.

Certainly a route for the Summer months, as the route traverses some very remote parts of the Carneddau.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 18:38:03, 15/09/19 »
Certainly a route for the Summer months, as the route traverses some very remote parts of the Carneddau.

All the better in winter with less people about and a good covering of snow - that is when the Carneddau show their true stature.

Matt010791

« Reply #13 on: 20:07:20, 15/09/19 »
thanks everyone think I'm gonna have a good luck at the carneddau routes

redeye

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 21:52:11, 15/09/19 »
Another part of the Carneddau that I did a few years ago and we'll worth a visit. There is scope to add to the route if you wanted to. A great area that few people visit as a whole O0
https://aredeyeview.blogspot.com/2014/08/northern-carneddau-snowdonia-9-8-2014.html

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy