Author Topic: How did everyone start walking?  (Read 14809 times)

Achiles74

Re: How did everyone start walking?
« Reply #60 on: 10:32:23, 11/12/11 »
http://wainwright-richardswalks.blogspot.com/search/label/Crib%20Goch%20Video

Ignore the first few minutes of dodgy guitar work  ;D

Nice video, so would you say Crib Goch is moderate or very hard?
Been up Tryfan via heather ridge which was'nt too bad.

oldboldgeezer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #61 on: 10:43:34, 11/12/11 »

Nice video, so would you say Crib Goch is moderate or very hard?
Been up Tryfan via heather ridge which was'nt too bad.

It's both!!!  Which it is to you depends on you  O0

You see people running along it in running shoes shorts and vests .. .. having a chat with their mates as they go .. .. and passing the time of day with others on the ridge:  They would tell you it's easy

Then you see grown men almost in tears and sat astride it .. .. afraid to go forward and equally afraid to go back:  They would tell you it's the hardest thing they've ever done - but in stronger language than that!!  ;)

Technically it's pretty straightforward .. .. if you know what you're doing .. .. but it's also fairly exposed - which is the bit that catches most people out .. .. and it catches the wind across it which can be a bit disconcerting if you're not expecting it

Plan to go - but with someone who can lend a hand if necessary (ie someone who's done it before or who is more than competent)

And let us know how you got on  O0
"A smile is a curve that sets everything straight."

amnesiacjimmy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #62 on: 12:03:45, 11/12/11 »
And let us know how you got on  O0
Wi' photos  ;)
12 songs enjoy while posting and browsing on 'ere  :)   http://tinyurl.com/3rd9vey -

More stuff on Itunes:   http://tinyurl.com/3phvnla

AndyWigan

« Reply #63 on: 16:31:56, 11/12/11 »
I only started walking this year after 16 years of playing golf, i did a lot of walking in my early teens with my dad which i enjoyed so decided to give it a go again and i am loving it. Although not done that many fells i try to get out when i can work permitting,

Addo

« Reply #64 on: 21:22:08, 11/12/11 »
Having been a postman for 32 years, much of which time I delivered to a rural area (by van), I was used to getting out and about in the countryside, and walking was also a big part of my job. So, when I had to take early retirement in April this year, after suffering a mildstroke - I decided to take up walking for pleasure, as well as to keep up my fitness.

gotmeheadshaved

• Veteran Member
« Reply #65 on: 18:03:19, 20/12/11 »
Well apparently when I was very little I stood up and put one foot in front of the other... ;) ;D

Steve
Steve (gotmeheadshaved)

'Brothers, what we do in life, echoes in eternity'

yorksgal

• Veteran Member
« Reply #66 on: 19:02:20, 20/12/11 »
I started power walking 2 years ago come January to lose weight and then when the lighter nights came I decided to have a ride into the Yorkshire Dales and got some AA route cards and started by which should have been a circular at whernside.  However it didn't turn out as straight forward as that as 2 guys I got talking to said you can't go wrong! But I did, once I got home I googled to see what I had climbed and it turned out to be Wherside. 

From then on I was hooked  O0.

Then April of that year I did the Yorkshire 3 Peaks  O0 O0

yeti

• Veteran Member
« Reply #67 on: 00:56:17, 22/12/11 »
Was it a Portaloo?
Cheeky [censored] ::) !!!
Isn't that a micra? :P
R.I.P. Dave.

amnesiacjimmy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #68 on: 01:18:19, 22/12/11 »
Isn't that a micra? :P
gets me to the lakes wi reasonable mpg unlike Vulv sorry volvos and that s all that matters
12 songs enjoy while posting and browsing on 'ere  :)   http://tinyurl.com/3rd9vey -

More stuff on Itunes:   http://tinyurl.com/3phvnla

yeti

• Veteran Member
« Reply #69 on: 01:26:33, 22/12/11 »
gets me to the lakes wi reasonable mpg unlike Vulv sorry volvos and that s all that matters
It cost £365 two years ago (so 50p per day so far) and the big old tank works reasonably well at over 175k with no issues on the mot at
 all...well we've had a few grumbles along the way ;D ;D ;D .
My 5th vulv box on wheels/childs drawing of a car. It doesn't look like robbie the robot from behind so thats a plus O0 ... Oh yours does :P 
R.I.P. Dave.

Sleepy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #70 on: 07:39:50, 22/12/11 »
My first car was a Volvo 440 1.7 with a carburettor and I loved it! Wasn't very cheap to run but could've been worse. It had done over 250,000 miles and didnt smoke at all or make any strange noises, was comfortable and put all my mates novas, 106s fiestas etc to shame especially those stupid enough to think a 1.2 nova would be faster  ;D

When I bought it, I had a choice of that or a nova off my brother for the same price. When I wrote the Volvo off by rolling and flipping it in a field at 80mph, got out, walked up to the road where I rang my brother for a lift home - with just a bruise on my shoulder from the seatbelt and a few tiny cuts from glass - I knew I'd made the right choice. I owned two more after that.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #71 on: 18:51:46, 01/03/20 »

Another thread currently on the forum reminded me of this one. Obviously, as we tend to do, the discussion wandered but I wondered how, particularly if you didn't have walking parents as I did, you end up happy to set off on a bearing across Kinder.

I've quoted some of my initial reply to the topic below.

I'm sure I've said this before but I went walking with my parents from being very young, we lived in Sheffienld and could walk from the house in to Derbyshire. I remember being shocked at Junior School when they took us out for a walk and only 2 of us had walking boots, I just thought they were something everyone had.

As I got older I went camping with my Dad and the Boys Brigade and, at about 15 started to go off walking and camping on my own or with friends.

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #72 on: 20:03:41, 01/03/20 »
Apart from the usual about being being fed up by falling over.  It was a driving ban.  Left me with little choice as I lived a few miles from work.
Then went off to university and could not afford a car, so walked everywhere.
I cycle too now.
I don't use emojis, irony is better, you decide

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #73 on: 00:18:59, 02/03/20 »
Not seen this thread before. 

My parents were always moving house.  So I guess I got used to finding my way home. Remember when kids would be aloud to walk miles to school and back. 

True dit. When I first went home after joining the Navy, my parents had moved again.  I new nothing of it. Nor had I told them I was coming.  I went around to a mates house and we tracked them down in Southport 12miles away.

Slowcoach

• Veteran Member
« Reply #74 on: 08:02:40, 02/03/20 »
 When I was 16 I wanted a pair of cherry red bovver boots..ex army type for my birthday. My dad asked me what the boots were for so i said i was going to go walking. On my birthday he gave me the boots and some thick socks, he told me to put them on, he gave me a pound , led me to the front door pushed me out, shut the door and told me to go for a walk.
He wasn’t going to let me back in so i went for a walk ..from Eltham in Southeast London to Eynsford and back. I enjoyed it and carried on steadily from then.
It's all uphill from here.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy