Author Topic: How did everyone start walking?  (Read 14754 times)

Owen

• Veteran Member
Re: How did everyone start walking?
« Reply #90 on: 10:47:01, 07/03/20 »
I honestly can't remember a time when I didn't go walking. Even as a boy, I grew up on the edge of Leicester but could get out into fields very easily. Used to just go and wander for miles. I got into orienteering through the scout at about eleven. At fourteen I got heavily into rock climbing so used to hitchhike to the peak most weekends. Didn't see any difference between climbing and hill walking, it was all just part and parcel of getting out.

In the early seventies I started working as a NCB apprentice, not one of my wisest moves. I soon saw the writing on the wall and on a whim joined the Army. In between playing silly bu**ers I managed to get to climb in the Alps, Kenya, Norway, South America and Canada. I also picked up a few bad habits like skiing.

After I left the Army I spent several years traveling, climbing, skiing, kayaking etc mainly in South America. I moved back to Leicester for a while but that didn't work out, so I moved to Scotland. I've been here ever since. Still go walking regularly and ski when ever I can. I don't do much rock climbing any more, don't have anyone to go with and getting to stiff. What I really like doing is long backpacking trip where I can get out into some real wilderness.

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #91 on: 14:38:12, 07/03/20 »
I was stopped in the town centre of Newport, back in 1975, talking to a friend i had not seen for a few years.
He told me he was going to Mid Wales to do some walking, which sounded exciting, and asked me, if i would like to come along.

So my first ever walk, was up the Minfordd path up Cadair Idris, and i had a wail of a time.

Living so close to the Brecon Beacons, i became hooked on this walking thing, and ive never looked back.

Now living in North Wales, i have Snowdonia as my playground, and walk around three times a week.

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #92 on: 14:48:42, 07/03/20 »
Wandering the Moors near my home watching the sunset and looking for my very own Heathcliff. Walking the moors survived adolescence, looking for Heathcliff luckily didn't.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #93 on: 16:11:35, 07/03/20 »
So my first ever walk, was up the Minfordd path up Cadair Idris, and i had a wail of a time.
  So you didn't enjoy it then?
Solvitur Ambulando

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #94 on: 10:35:20, 13/03/20 »
By what i can remember, we did the walk in far from ideal conditions, but it was such an adventure, that it didn't seem to matter.
It was such a long time ago, that my memory of the walk is a bit sketchy, but it certainly encouraged me to continue walking the hills.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #95 on: 10:57:03, 13/03/20 »
  So you didn't enjoy it then?
Sorry it fell flat Ninthace, Dyfrynn doesn't do humour or irony.
 :2funny: :2funny: :2funny: :2funny:
Too little, too late, too bad......

Stube

« Reply #96 on: 17:08:36, 13/03/20 »
Like all my contemporaries, I walked to and from school usually twice a day about a mile each way even in primary school. No one met us at the school gates we kids just saw each other home.

My first long walk was 2 nights youth hosteling when I was in the cubs c1960. I don't know where it was, but I suspect the White Peak.

I grew up on the west side of Sheffield and the Dark Peak was our backyard - and it wasn't there!

As a scout we rambled all over the moors long before there were any paths - let alone slabbed ones!

After University I stopped walking because I was living in the south and considered the countryside boring - and my future wife was not into walking. However on retirement I started again and coastal walking is often wild and windy enough to satisfy my soul.
« Last Edit: 17:22:22, 13/03/20 by Stube »

Manni

« Reply #97 on: 08:37:58, 20/03/20 »

Sorry forgot to ask, how's your back? Seems like it must have improved massively to take on trial running! Impressed!

Hi Dogylegs,
you are right, my back has improved significantly, had barely any problems with it lately,

Dodgylegs

• Veteran Member
« Reply #98 on: 12:29:22, 20/03/20 »

Hi Dogylegs,
you are right, my back has improved significantly, had barely any problems with it lately,

That's the type of news I like to hear Manni!

More bad back sufferers should receive this knowledge earlier.

I've improved massively, only forgot to be careful the other day when lifting a large compost bag and twisted my back! The pain has decreased, now very stiff. Due to non related virus health issues not able to get out for a decent walk.

Any trail runs/walks coming up or are things on hold?

Manni

« Reply #99 on: 16:14:15, 20/03/20 »

I've improved massively, only forgot to be careful the other day when lifting a large compost bag and twisted my back! The pain has decreased, now very stiff. Due to non related virus health issues not able to get out for a decent walk.

Any trail runs/walks coming up or are things on hold?

I do get the same 'reminders' when I forget that I am not 20 anymore, heavy lifting is not on the cards anymore and some restrictions apply to gardening, especially digging...  :(

As I have been confined to home office since January (1st because of office refurbishment, then for obvious reasons), its time for me to get out and about! Unfortunately the LDWA and the Ramblers have stopped all activities, also all challenge events, Ultra Trail Runs etc. have been cancelled. So I have decided to go on a 20 ml solo run over the South Downs tomorrow, the weather forecast looks good too, so it should be a piece of cake... O0

Dodgylegs

• Veteran Member
« Reply #100 on: 16:29:07, 20/03/20 »

I do get the same 'reminders' when I forget that I am not 20 anymore, heavy lifting is not on the cards anymore and some restrictions apply to gardening, especially digging...  :(

As I have been confined to home office since January (1st because of office refurbishment, then for obvious reasons), its time for me to get out and about! Unfortunately the LDWA and the Ramblers have stopped all activities, also all challenge events, Ultra Trail Runs etc. have been cancelled. So I have decided to go on a 20 ml solo run over the South Downs tomorrow, the weather forecast looks good too, so it should be a piece of cake... O0

Yeah reminders! haha I'm able to attempt most things now, if careful, although standing still causes the most difficulties.

Just spent most of the afternoon in brilliant warm spring sunshine sorting out greenhouse, watering plants ... Dahlias are showing first signs of life.... shredding loads of cuttings off bushes, spreading shredding around new Rhubarb shoots.

Get back in house do the washing up and have to sit down cos the old back is aching! It's standing still doing the washing up!!

Sounds like you're going to have a good day for Downs run, hope you don't meet anyone!!

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #101 on: 18:17:37, 20/03/20 »
only forgot to be careful the other day when lifting a large compost bag and twisted my back!

Join the club! I spent nearly 30 years moving fridges, freezers, washing machines et al around without a bit of trouble, but just a few months into my premature retirement I carried a bag of bark chippings with 33% extra free out of my car, through the house and down the garden, and got a hernia.

Dodgylegs

• Veteran Member
« Reply #102 on: 21:09:59, 20/03/20 »
got a hernia.

Hope it doesn't need an operation to sort. Painful?

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy