Author Topic: Thermos Cooking..?  (Read 14454 times)

lightweightmick

Re: Thermos Cooking..?
« Reply #300 on: 12:15:23, 26/03/20 »
Mick,can you remember that recipe from Sgt James of 49 Para,curried raw recruit with extra chilli? It used to get him through his 65 hour coast coast walks. ;)
Ha Ha... Sgt James - must have blocked him before he shared his secret...   O0
Use a smiley ...you know it makes sense

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #301 on: 12:24:10, 26/03/20 »
Mick,can you remember that recipe from Sgt James of 49 Para,curried raw recruit with extra chilli? It used to get him through his 65 hour coast coast walks. ;)
Paras eh? You must really have an aversion to flying to want to get out of a perfectly serviceable aircraft just to get yourself shot at.  My view was I would only go for a walk outside when both wings had come off.
Solvitur Ambulando

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #302 on: 14:23:30, 26/03/20 »
Paras eh? You must really have an aversion to flying to want to get out of a perfectly serviceable aircraft just to get yourself shot at.  My view was I would only go for a walk outside when both wings had come off.
The legendary 49th used virtual reality parachutes. ;)

lightweightmick

« Reply #303 on: 16:06:46, 26/03/20 »
The legendary 49th used virtual reality parachutes. ;)
Before this gets way off topic... Did they use a thermos flasks for cooking..?

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #304 on: 17:38:27, 26/03/20 »
Before this gets way off topic... Did they use a thermos flasks for cooking..?
Of course............what else? ;)

lightweightmick

« Reply #305 on: 00:16:39, 31/03/20 »
Ok, so first use of the thermos yesterday on my 12m run - just cold water - but it was just that - nice and cold and refreshing.

lightweightmick

« Reply #306 on: 13:59:19, 02/04/20 »
Still on it... First 'proper coffee' trial with old pop sock as coffee bag ...

O0 - good!

https://ibb.co/7QTtFgD

Previously, grounds were loose in flask and a piece of old tights stretched over top used acting as filter (this probably actually gave better percolation tbh) requiring flask to be rinsed well to get grounds out. Also needed a quick inversion to prevent dribbling. As water could be at a premiun, it's surely a better solution to contain the grounds for disposal later in a more environmentally sound location.
Plusses:No need to be tied to dedicated coffee bags.Can use own favourite brand of coffee.Reusable.Inexpensive.

Just tie a knot at end - very tight at one end - loose at other for ease of undoing... tried overlocking, but such a fine nylon fabric will need to tension on machine resetting - and the 'overlocker' is now busy on something else, so not going there yet...Could be hand sewn of course... but the knot works...

lightweightmick

« Reply #307 on: 14:03:44, 02/04/20 »
Of course............what else? ;)
O0

lightweightmick

« Reply #308 on: 14:06:18, 02/04/20 »
Cappuccino? - no problem - add milk or creamer and give flask a good shake  O0

lightweightmick

« Reply #309 on: 13:25:45, 05/04/20 »

Just tie a knot at end - very tight at one end - loose at other for ease of undoing...

Update - coffee works better with sock left open and sonced up and down a few times - allows more water in to circulate the grounds  :)

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #310 on: 13:27:10, 05/04/20 »
Update - coffee works better with sock left open and sonced up and down a few times - allows more water in to circulate the grounds  :)
One of my socks after a days walking, you would not need the coffee to get some flavour!  :)
Solvitur Ambulando

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #311 on: 13:40:59, 05/04/20 »
One of my socks after a days walking, you would not need the coffee to get some flavour!  :)
I wouldn't even need to buy any coffee to put in mine😩
Too little, too late, too bad......

lightweightmick

« Reply #312 on: 23:17:35, 05/04/20 »
Hot sweet coffee was good around 6m mark today - just a 3 minute coffee stop (actually 2 x 3min stops as I had a stone in my shoe earlier) Was a bit weak as I topped it up with boiling water before setting off - still good though. Be good to have a narrower flask fwd mounted for better OTMA... having to drop sack to access flask proved an unnecessary hindrance, though did sit for a while - edge of wood with a lot of bird song - (elswhere round these parts a lot of manic bird shooters out... loud bangs in all the local copses - suprised there's any birds left to shoot tbh - and they call it sport... :( - not my kind...)

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #313 on: 19:21:44, 06/04/20 »
Proper sport needs an opposing team. Perhaps they need an opposition that can shoot back?

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #314 on: 19:25:18, 06/04/20 »
Couldn’t you save more weight by leaving out the sugar / sweetener? I prefer to add nothing to my coffee (or whisky) except water - sugar, sweeteners, cow extract (or substitute) or ‘e’ s.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy