Author Topic: TR Hollows Farm campsite stay Fri 10 to Sun 12 May 19  (Read 2238 times)

April

• Veteran Member
Day 1

Beefy had relatives coming up to the Lake District so we didn't go wild camping. We met up at Hollows Farm campsite on Friday. After we had set up camp we took Squeaky on a walk along the river Derwent.

A moth at Hollows Farm

River Derwent reflections

The lovely woodland path

We saw a grey wagtail (although I thought it was a dipper at first  :-[) at the river but I didn't manage to get a photo of it. I saw another animal that I also didn't manage to photograph. I thought it was an otter but afterward I thought it might be too small. Now I'm not sure what it was  :-\

On the way back to Hollows Farm

After tea we sat talking to Beefy's relatives, nice lads who have a great sense of humour.

Friday was Grange Bridge - Hollows Farm - Gowder Dub - Wilkinson's Dub - Hollows Farm 4.82km  with 30m ascent

Day 2                 
Next day we set off from Seathwaite, we were going up Scafell Pike, up Grains Gill and Ruddy Gill to Esk Hause first, then returning by the Corridor Route.

Waterfall on Ruddy Gill

Great End from the path

The cloud was lowering over Great End every now and then and we wondered if we would get a cloud free Scafell Pike summit.     

Looking back toward Skiddaw from the way up by Ruddy Gill

It was sunny and warm and no wind until we had got higher up the path. I noticed on Beefy's vid I have my jacket on most of the time so it must not have been that warm  ;)

Looking back down Ruddy Gill

We stopped for a break before we got to Esk Hause and it was nice sitting in the sun.

Great Gable from the path to Esk Hause

Bowfell and Crinkle Crags from Esk Hause

Beefy and Squeaky with Scafell Pike summit now in sight

Great Gable and Lambfoot Dub seen in this shot

On Broad Crag with Scafell Pike ahead

We were going to get a cloud free summit!

The view north from Scafell Pike

It was really busy on the summit and any photos I could take had lots of people in them.

Beefy and Squeaky on Scafell Pike summit

I didn't take any photos of Beefy's relatives with my camera. I didn't want to ask them for permission because I didn't want them to feel obliged to have their photo taken and plastered all over social media! Beefy has made a video to share with them but it wont be posted on social media, for the same reason.

We'd stopped for another food break in one of the shelters on the top.

The view as we descended to Lingmell Col

The wind was bitterly cold here and we descended as quickly as we could on the loose stones.

Pillar, Kirk Fell, Lingmell and Great Gable

Great End and Broad Crag

Looking down Piers Gill

The Bad Step on the Corridor Route

This is an awkward spot that catches out a lot of people who are unaware of it, especially on ascent. The rocky step has to be descended on the ascent and there is a bit of a drop to look at while you are trying to get down it. We had to ascend it which we humans managed ok, Squeaky had to be lifted up the first bit.

The Band on Great End from Styhead

We had another rest above Styhead Tarn before the last couple of miles down to Stockley Bridge and the parking place at Seathwaite . It is a rough, tough walk this, boulders to clamber over, scrambly bits, rough terrain for the most part. We were all tired when we got back to the campsite. After we ate we had another hour or two chatting about the day with a few brews. What smashing lads they are, I enjoyed their company  :)

Saturday's route was Seathwaite - Grains Gill - Esk Hause - Scafell Pike - Lingmell Col - Corridor Route - Styhead Tarn - Stockley Bridge - Seathwaite 15km with 1103m of ascent

Day 3

We said our farewells to the lads in morning; they were off home with no time for a walk as they had a fair drive back home. There was a bike race in the Lake District which might have affected the buses so we decided to walk back to Keswick. From Hollows Farmhouse we took the lovely footpath to Manesty. It was another glorious day but the wind was still chilly. 

Blencathra from the path to Manesty

On the way to the Catbells Terrace path

The lovely gardens in the houses at Fellside

Skiddaw and Blencathra from the terrace path

Our brew stop view

We stopped or some food and a brew. It was a pleasant lunch except for the wind, when it blew it was freezing!

Looking back at Catbells from near Stub Hill

I was really tired by the time we got to Portinscale, I felt I was on my last legs! We had taken extra things with us since we were camping on a campsite. Our packs were a bit heavier than normal.

Skiddaw from the Portinscale to Keswick footpath

In Keswick we had time to feed Squeaky before we got on the bus at 13.20. What a nice long weekend, superb weather, except for the cold wind and we had all been lucky to get the view from the summit of Scafell Pike.

Sunday was Hollows Farm - Manesty - Catbells Terrace path - Portinscale - Keswick 10.4km with 180m ascent
Hate will never win

Ridge

• Veteran Member
Re: TR Hollows Farm campsite stay Fri 10 to Sun 12 May 19
« Reply #1 on: 20:10:40, 14/05/19 »
Wow stunning photos, lovely weather.  O0

Not surprised that Beefy's relatives don't want to be associated with you on a public forum  ;)

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 20:14:16, 14/05/19 »
Fantastic O0
Great pics and write up Ape :)
Excellent weather and fine views
Tremendous

After tea we sat talking to Beefy's relatives, nice lads who have a great sense of humour.  
Of course they all take after me ;D

Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 21:01:08, 14/05/19 »
Beautiful photos April and a great report, as always.

Fab shot of the Emperor Moth too! 8) 8)
***Happiness is only a smile away***

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 22:32:29, 14/05/19 »
Ooooh, lovvvverly.  It all looks and sounds smashing  O0

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 09:50:36, 15/05/19 »
Stunning photos and a interesting TR to read  O0
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 18:45:51, 15/05/19 »
Not surprised that Beefy's relatives don't want to be associated with you on a public forum  ;)

;D Thanks Ridge. I think they liked me really  ;)

Some people don't like being photographed (I include myself as one of them) so I don't like to ask for permission in case people feel obliged to agree when they are unhappy about it.

Of course they all take after me ;D

Flatulence runs in the family doesn't it?  :D

Fab shot of the Emperor Moth too! 8) 8)

Thanks sunnydale, beefy said you would know what moth it was  O0

Thanks Mel and BWW, it was a super weekend  O0
Hate will never win

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 00:14:10, 16/05/19 »
It may be a very popular destination and draws the crowds, but looking at your photos ...... it is justified. Stunning scenery  O0
A grand TR as ever.
Only a hill but all of life to me, up there between the sunset and the sea. 
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

karl h

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 07:37:16, 16/05/19 »
A lovely set of pics from you're weekend April O0
I have stayed at Hollows farm a couple of times it's in a great spot and never seems to attract the folk who like to party all night.
 :)

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 08:56:50, 16/05/19 »

Lovely weather, lovely photos, April.

Reminds me of my trip up Scafell Pike last October.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 09:22:52, 16/05/19 »
Looks like another splendid outing. I'm envious, must get back out there soon myself.

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 10:06:09, 16/05/19 »
Looks grand  O0  And well done on the moth shot, more than I've seen.
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 11:55:41, 16/05/19 »
[/Flatulence runs in the family doesn't it?   

Oi... >:(
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 19:10:10, 16/05/19 »
Thanks IM  :)

I have stayed at Hollows farm a couple of times it's in a great spot and never seems to attract the folk who like to party all night.
 :)

We have too and it has always been quiet. We always pitch in the field where the toilet block is. We had a loud family next to us but they were quiet by 10pm. The other field where Beefy's relatives were staying(one had a camper van) was very noisy. We heard the noise when we were sitting with them but it carried on until the wee hours they said.

Thanks Richard, Rob and pleb  :)

Oi to you to beefy  ;D I've just seen a grey squirrel on the patio  :o It was eating the bird seed on the flagstones.
Hate will never win

henryb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 22:38:32, 16/05/19 »
Great report and photos April, Lingmell colony shot my fave O0

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy