Author Topic: Walking after big toe fusion  (Read 5576 times)

Robster

Walking after big toe fusion
« on: 19:47:39, 06/02/19 »
Hi all,

This is a bit specific, so I'm sorry that it won't apply to all, but I was looking at an old thread in here that seems to have closed now.  I'm interested in gaining some experience from people who have had a big toe fusion operation and how it has affected your walking/running, both from a hiking perspective, but also day to day walking.  I am 42, very fit and active, with a young family and have injury related arthritis in my left big toe.  My surgeon has said that due to the joint damage the only option is to have it fused.  Naturally I am concerned about the long term effects of this.  I have read that pain can be experienced in other joints that take the load originally taken by the toe.  With my toe getting stiffer (and more painful) month by month now, I already walk with a slight limp - after the operation is a permanent limp inevitable.  Have people been able (or tried) to run very much?

Thanks in advance for any experience you may be able to share.

Rob.

phil1960

• Veteran Member
Re: Walking after big toe fusion
« Reply #1 on: 20:02:41, 06/02/19 »
There are a couple of us with the same issue to varying degrees, myself included, but have not had a fusion. However Jontea of this forum has so hopefully he will see this and advise you.

Touching from a distance, further all the time.

Robster

« Reply #2 on: 20:05:22, 06/02/19 »
Thank you Phil, I will look out for Jontea's reply.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 21:40:24, 06/02/19 »
I too had injury related stiff/arthritic big toes.  Initially they were treated with cortisone injections every six months or so, but now they've fused on their own and I'm pain free, have no issues walking and definitely no limp, although I never did.
Where there's a will ...

jontea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 22:07:31, 06/02/19 »

Hi Rob, yes I can certainly sympathise with you on toe joint pain.

Right up to the point of having my operation, my surgeon didn’t know whether I would need a fusion or a cheilectomy. He opted for the cheilectomy.

So unfortunately Rob, I can’t help with fusion information, but you might be interested in a blog I wrote about my story which might help in some way from the link below.

Hope this helps  O0    

http://johntrowsdale.blogspot.com/2017/02/the-cheilectomy.html?m=1
Walking is the world’s oldest exercise and today’s modern medicine.

https://www.johntrowsdaleart.com/

Instagram  jontea62

Slogger

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 15:34:54, 07/02/19 »
Can't help with the fusion, but surgeons always seem to want to cut you open afterall that's their joib! That obviosly may be the only option for a pain free toe joint, however a good pal of mine, a good runner,  had long term big problem with his back several years ago. He was eventually listed for a spine fusion operation but changed his mind just before going into theatre, AND FLED THE HOSPITAL. He found alternative ways of managing his back and continues to be a very good runner.I have an arthritic big toe joint, so does my wife , we both get substantial pain relief just by using Voltarol Gel three times daily when reqired, although i appreciatte your problem may well be beyond this kind of help, but worth trying if not done so already.

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 19:48:56, 07/02/19 »
Great blog entry Jontea , it is great to read real people's experiences, I wish I'd found something similar when I bust my pelvis a few years ago. 

jontea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 06:43:22, 08/02/19 »
Great blog entry Jontea , it is great to read real people's experiences, I wish I'd found something similar when I bust my pelvis a few years ago.

O0

Instagram  jontea62

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 12:17:00, 08/02/19 »
+1 
As I have a stiff big toe joint this makes very interesting reading. I really need to find out what is causing my problem.
Only a hill but all of life to me, up there between the sunset and the sea. 
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

Robster

« Reply #9 on: 15:13:29, 08/02/19 »
Thanks everyone for your replies. And thanks Jontea for the blog link - I’ll take a look at that.

plridgway

« Reply #10 on: 16:27:22, 13/08/21 »
Hi Rob, yes I can certainly sympathise with you on toe joint pain.

Right up to the point of having my operation, my surgeon didn’t know whether I would need a fusion or a cheilectomy. He opted for the cheilectomy.

So unfortunately Rob, I can’t help with fusion information, but you might be interested in a blog I wrote about my story which might help in some way from the link below.

Hope this helps  O0  

Hello Jontea,

I have the Hallus Rigidus problem too.
How is your Cheilectomy holding up?   Was your surgeon a podiatrist (DPM) or an orthopedic surgeon (MD)?

jontea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 18:18:53, 13/08/21 »
Hi there,

Yeah absolutely fine, I never think about the toe now. Still walking and scrambling up mountains.

My consultant was a orthopaedic surgeon. Obviously he did a great job.
Although looking back, complete recovery was about 10 months to a year.

If you haven't read the blog, it's here

https://johntrowsdale.blogspot.com/2017/02/the-cheilectomy.html?m=1

Instagram  jontea62

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy