Author Topic: The Dalesway  (Read 2589 times)

Viclikestowalk

The Dalesway
« on: 15:03:49, 21/12/20 »
Me and my Dad are planning on attempting the Dalesway in reverse this year (potentially April Covid allowing).

Has anybody got any accommodation recommendations.

Warbler

Re: The Dalesway
« Reply #1 on: 16:42:41, 21/12/20 »
I've not walked the Dalesway, but have walked Dales Highway, which also passes through Sedbergh.

I can recommend Holmecroft B&B on Station Road if they are still up and running. Nice and clean, friendly couple and reasonably priced. This was 2017.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 21:52:19, 23/12/20 »
I remember walking most of the Dalesway. I'd joined a Walking Forum meet at the YHA in Patterdale a few years ago (what year???) and after a weekend of hiking, drinking, eating and making merry I made my way to Windermere and started the walk. On the first day, I was struck by the lack of pubs en route and remember wild camping behind a bungalow hedge on the edge of a small field, no idea where I was. I really enjoyed the walk and at one point met an older chap who was a volunteer who walked a certain part of it to check all was well with the signposts and so on. We walked for a few miles together and even had a run-in with a really grumpy farmer who accused us of leaving a gate open, which we hadn't. We told him that we had reached this point from that direction 'over there' and not from the direction he was pointing at. He just swore a few times and angrily drove off on his small 4-wheeler!

I remember the walk as really worth doing. I didn't manage to finish it but for the life of me, I can't remember why?

windyrigg

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 09:15:57, 24/12/20 »
The Station Hotel at Ribblehead have camping barns, with the added attraction of good food and beer  O0

harland

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 09:45:55, 24/12/20 »
I walked it in 2011, not sure whether they are still operating.

Ilkley Riverside Hotel, Riverside Gardens, Bridge Lane 01943 607338
Youth Hostel, Kettlewell 0845 3719025
Station Inn Bunkhouse, Ribblehead 015242 41274
Bull Hotel, 44 Main Street, Sedbergh 015396 20264
Youth Hostel 118 Highgate, Kendal 08453719641

Sonatine

« Reply #5 on: 11:17:16, 03/01/21 »
Me and my Dad are planning on attempting the Dalesway in reverse this year (potentially April Covid allowing).

Has anybody got any accommodation recommendations.

Have you checked the dalesway website, there’s accommodation recommendations there for the route.

vincebowdren

« Reply #6 on: 16:31:14, 01/06/21 »
I've done it a couple of times, and stayed at a mixture of campsites, hostels, pubs and B&Bs. Some of my favourites were:

1. the Sportsman; a cracking pub up near the top of Dentdale
2. George Inn, Hubberholme; ditto, in Langstrothdale (upper Wharfedale)
3. Kettlewell YHA: nice little village, nice friendly hostel
4. New Inn, Appletreewick: fine country pub

There's not a lot of accommodation between upper Wharfedale and Dentdale, and between Sedbergh and Windermere, so don't leave it to chance.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 22:48:13, 08/06/21 »
I followed the Dales Way for a short while a few days ago, met a Greek/Latin lecturer and his wife, they were loving it.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy