Author Topic: TR - Mell Fells  (Read 865 times)

photonut

TR - Mell Fells
« on: 21:58:33, 19/02/18 »
It seemed that the only part of the Lakes that were going to get any semblance of sunshine was the NE part towards Ullswater.  So I headed off to walk Gobarrow, Great Mell and Little Fell.  I had keenly watched the forecast all week and it had been particularly wet... something very obvious once I got walking.

Parking at The Hause at the base of Little Mell Fell, it took some leverage to get myself out of a nice warm car following the 120mile drive:

Once out on the path to Gobarrow Fell adjacent to Priests Crag it wasn't too bad albiet a bit muddy.  Where the paths were sheltered from sunshine they were covered in thick ice, perhaps where previous walkers had been compacting the snow.  This made making walking a bit tricky so I just stuck to the muddy bits instead.  Some nice views across to Ullswater popped up occasionally where the trees had been felled:

Gobarrow was soon visible and I have to say the walk seemed to be the easiest of any of the Wainwrights I've done (to present)... even easier than Binsey!  The path through the woods seemed to take a nice ambling climb to the rock upon which the Gobarrow trig point sits.  Looking back towards Great Meldrum and Little Mell Fell:

The weather had held nicely along my route..... so far! Once on top of Gobarrow Fell the views were superb:

Literally, 2 minutes later, in true fashion:

By the time I had descended Gowbarrow and reached Ulcat Row the sun was out again with intermittent showers.  Because I was being nosey looking at all the nice properties (and not watching where I was going) I ended up missing the turn I was supposed to take so walked along the road to the base of Great Mell Fell.  This was, in hindsight, a bit of a gift as I was to learn later on.

Great Mell Fell was a nice ascent, not steep but with quite a few bits and bobs to see along the way... even the white horses half-way up were friendly.  I couldn't resist taking a couple of pics of the trees that Wainwright had drawn.  They must be the most photographed trees on the planet... or at least a second place to the holly bush(?) between Mellbreak and Hen comb.

It wasn't long before the small cairn appeared ontop:

I didn't hang about though because I could see one huge rain cloud heading my way.. so I made quite a rapid descent.... I think I was down in about 12minutes and on my way to Brownrigg Farm.  However, upon arriving at the side of the farm house I could see the water logged basin that awaited me.  Nope not today I thought, so begrudgingly I took the road back around to Little Mell Fell, along the way stopping to look at the two fells and looking for the pots of gold at either end of the rainbow:

Nope, no such luck.  Climbing the road up to Mell Fell I did pass a chap who had been up on the hill opposite to the Hause.  Passing pleasantries we soon got chatting, usual stuff, Lake District weather, Wainwrights... etc, etc,.... Boggy ground between High Seat and High Tove.  At this point I recalled a few comments made here and asked if this chap was a member on the WalkingForum.  Well wouldn't you know it.... it was pdstsp of this parish!! Quite a while passed as we chatted but we eventually parted company and I made for Little Mell Fell. So here you go pdstsp, here's what the view looks like from Little Mell Fell :D  Nice to meet you!

It's only a 5minute descent and I was soon on my way to Ingleton for a stop-over before attempting more Lake District fells the next day.  I will try to get around to writing that one (plus a few others I have negated to write up as I've started this crazy notion of climbing/ walking the Wainwrights).

..and not one summit slug in sight  ;D

Cheers
Lee
« Last Edit: 22:27:06, 19/02/18 by photonut »

Ridge

• Veteran Member
Re: TR - Mell Fells
« Reply #1 on: 22:23:28, 19/02/18 »
Great photos and what a coincidence.

Having walked between the Mell Fells in the summer it was wet enough then, you would probably have drown if you had tried it.

adalard

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 06:25:04, 20/02/18 »
Great pictures and TR - especially liked the view looking back to Great Meldrum and Little Mell Fell.  O0

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 08:34:08, 20/02/18 »
Great pics  O0
I was on gowbarrow fell a few weeks ago it was freezing I took a couple of pics and got lower down out of the wind  :)
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 08:55:07, 20/02/18 »
Lovely pics photonut, fancy that meeting pdstsp! Pleased you got no slugs  O0
Hate will never win

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 08:57:44, 20/02/18 »
Hi Lee - nice trip report and photos and even nicer to meet another forum member - quite a coincidence!

Those horses spooked me a bit - they came charging down the hill towards me in a group, but it turned out they had been spooked by a runner who refused to stop to let them settle down - they were much more docile on the descent;

And actually the waterlogged basin wasn't as bad as I was expecting - true, it wasn't firm, but with a bit of care it was ok - and I did get to see this sign - I'm still wondering what animal over 7.5 tonnes can read a sign banning it from using this lane;

Hope you had a good one on Sunday too - I'll write mine up sometime soon.

Paul

photonut

« Reply #6 on: 19:51:03, 20/02/18 »
Thank you all for your kind comments

Those horses spooked me a bit - they came charging down the hill towards me in a group, but it turned out they had been spooked by a runner who refused to stop to let them settle down - they were much more docile on the descent;

......... and I did get to see this sign - I'm still wondering what animal over 7.5 tonnes can read a sign banning it from using this lane;

One of the horses let me pat it on the head... they were very tame indeed.  I guess as a result of all the walkers they see.

Ha, I wished I'd seen that sign too! Superb  O0

Welsh Rambler

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 20:49:02, 20/02/18 »
Enjoyed the TR and the photos Lee, thanks for sharing  O0

That's a long car journey for a country walk  ;D

Regards Keith

photonut

« Reply #8 on: 22:03:27, 20/02/18 »
Hi Keith,

Thank you.

Yes, I agree... but the walks and the views are worth every mile!!!

Cheers
Lee

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy