Author Topic: Photobucket photos seem to have returned?  (Read 5879 times)

April

• Veteran Member
Photobucket photos seem to have returned?
« on: 19:03:37, 23/05/18 »
I was looking for some trip reports of routes we have done from Brampton to list for new forum member Bigbri. I noticed my photobucket pics seem to be showing themselves again  :o

I wonder why and for how long?
Hate will never win

dank86

Re: Photobucket photos seem to have returned?
« Reply #1 on: 19:09:14, 23/05/18 »
Maybe they reversed the silly decision to try and make people pay and started losing customers?

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 19:22:05, 23/05/18 »
They did

https://support.photobucket.com/hc/en-us/articles/360004314254-Welcome-to-the-New-Photobucket-

Photobucket has new management, and we are liberating your images!
As of today, your hosted images are live.
Photobucket has a new management team that wants to do the right thing. We are committed to earning back your trust and offering comprehensive and flexible image storage and hosting options for our customers. We’ve taken your feedback and made some changes to our pricing model that allows us to offer competitively priced plans that fit the needs of all of our customers.

For a limited time, our current customers’ hosted images have been restored and Photobucket is introducing a new pricing plan that is built around everyone’s needs.

In an effort to improve our customers’ experience, we’ve also moved away from an advertising-based model and have eliminated a portion of ads from the site.

Photobucket pioneered the image sharing and hosting market 15 years ago, and our new management team is committed to returning Photobucket to the premier imaging service people had come to know and trust.

There are more positive changes on the way, but for now we are excited to share this new compelling subscription option, as a testament to our dedication to you, our valued customers.
« Last Edit: 19:27:37, 23/05/18 by sussamb »
Where there's a will ...

dank86

« Reply #3 on: 19:29:56, 23/05/18 »
That's good news for now, I used to use photobucket a lot not so much these days. Will have to keep an eye on them and see what these new subscriptions are like

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 19:57:43, 23/05/18 »
Thanks sussamb, I wonder how much they will charge  :)
Hate will never win

pdstsp

• Veteran Member

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 11:58:20, 24/05/18 »
Still be some big holes in topics, I suppose, and will cost £50 or £60 a year depending on the £2$ to get 3rd party hosting is I have interpreted. I for 1 removed all my pictures, as did some others.
Still have not got around to putting any pictures onto the internet, it was a useful service while it was free for those of us living on pensions. If I was still working it might be different, not sure if I am going to be bothered.
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 13:17:22, 24/05/18 »
First 400 photos are free and I have nothing like that number uploaded so all my pics are back in the few TRs and blogs I've done  :)
Where there's a will ...

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 13:45:52, 24/05/18 »
But for how long, to get third party thingy, you have to upgrade. Will they honor the spirit of Photobucket pre this change of policy.
I suspect my account was less than 400, I removed all mine because I did not trust them, some of my images had appeared in other places, even though I had ticked the privacy box, so I thought it safer to remove the whole lot.
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 13:52:30, 24/05/18 »
Reading the terms it looks like you need to pay if you want to post to forums.

It has always surprised me that there were so many free hosting sites which allowed forum posting etc, particularly given how many people use ad blocking software.  However, the suddent imposistion of such large charges must have cost them a huge number of individual customers.

Reading the press release suggests to me that photobucket have taken a hit and are desperate to get some customers back.  For me I think I would be wary and make sure I wasn't reliant on pb - ie I had some good back up elsewhere.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 08:56:11, 25/05/18 »
I have a few photobucket accounts, it would be a bit too much money to pay for all of them  :(

I always did back up my photos anyway so I haven't lost any of them, the pics on the forum trip reports will probably disappear again when I don't cough up the money to photobucket!
Hate will never win

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 15:38:09, 25/05/18 »
Call me tight but when Photobucket started getting greedy, I started to post any photos on here using my own hosting and I won't be paying PB for the "pleasure". Flickr seems to still be free...for now
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

phil1960

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 08:47:04, 03/06/18 »
Only just saw this thread so searched for some old TR’s of mine, the pictures are indeed back, too late for photobucket though the damage is done and I’m trying out Flickr
Touching from a distance, further all the time.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 08:30:53, 11/06/18 »

I've just opened an account with imgbb.com. The website is nice and uncluttered, and links seem to work just fine:

WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 10:32:11, 11/06/18 »
Never heard of it. Allus nice to have a new suggestion  O0
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy