Author Topic: Satmap Active 20 - Mistake?  (Read 10739 times)

Novicemapreader

Satmap Active 20 - Mistake?
« on: 13:36:44, 19/11/17 »
I treated myself to a Satmap Active 20 GB Edition in September but I'm beginning to think it was a bit of a mistake, I've always used Garmin Satnavs and Bike GPS.

I'm not that keen on the Satmap interface and controls, I don't know if it's just that I find it different or that it is worse?

Anyone had both or experience of a comparable Garmin, what are your thoughts and preferences please?

Owen

• Veteran Member
Re: Satmap Active 20 - Mistake?
« Reply #1 on: 15:27:45, 19/11/17 »
I have a Satmap active 10, I've had all sorts of problems with it, software problems, battery caddy breaking, water getting in as it's not even slightly waterproof. It took ages to get Satmap to repair it. I haven't used it since, it sits in a draw gathering dust now. After that I got a Garmin Montana 600, I find it more straightforward to use and it works even in very heavy rain and snow, it is quite heavy but much more rugged than the Satmap. If your planning any trips abroad Garmin maps are eyewateringly expensive, better to use viewranger on your smartphone and just buy the map tiles for where you actually want. 

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 15:57:28, 19/11/17 »
Garmin maps are expensive but then again there are many good, free, OSM maps available for Garmin devices.  In many cases better than paid for maps  ;)
Where there's a will ...

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 15:58:25, 19/11/17 »
If your planning any trips abroad Garmin maps are eyewateringly expensive, better to use viewranger on your smartphone and just buy the map tiles for where you actually want.
I cannot speak for other countries but when walking in Austria I have downloaded map tiles for my Garmin in the same way I download Birdseye mapping for the UK by buying a square kilometre allowance from Kompass using Garmin BaseCamp software.
Solvitur Ambulando

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 18:14:03, 19/11/17 »
I cannot speak for other countries but when walking in Austria I have downloaded map tiles for my Garmin in the same way I download Birdseye mapping for the UK by buying a square kilometre allowance from Kompass using Garmin BaseCamp software.

I've looked at this but can't see anything for Sweden, maybe just me being thick. I'll try again tomorrow.

wobblyknees

« Reply #5 on: 22:00:12, 19/11/17 »

I've looked at this but can't see anything for Sweden, maybe just me being thick. I'll try again tomorrow.

Why not download the free one from here:

http://freizeitkarte-osm.de/garmin/en/sweden.html

Slogger

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 15:45:09, 23/11/17 »
Ive got a Satmap Active 10 upgraded during its last service to the orange buttons.
I love it, nice big screen, Sd route cards and the ability to use either re-chargeable batteries or AA's.
It is fairly waterproof and has never let me down in wet conditions.
Water can seep in behind the screen protector and fog around the edges, however it doesn't get inside the unit and the protector is easy to remove and clean.

radioman1974

« Reply #7 on: 20:59:08, 12/02/18 »
hi are there any free maps for the satmap active 20,i was gifted this device but unsure of any free maps i could put on sd card,or should i just run with my phone and mapping

radioman1974

« Reply #8 on: 20:59:43, 12/02/18 »
I have a Satmap active 10, I've had all sorts of problems with it, software problems, battery caddy breaking, water getting in as it's not even slightly waterproof. It took ages to get Satmap to repair it. I haven't used it since, it sits in a draw gathering dust now. After that I got a Garmin Montana 600, I find it more straightforward to use and it works even in very heavy rain and snow, it is quite heavy but much more rugged than the Satmap. If your planning any trips abroad Garmin maps are eyewateringly expensive, better to use viewranger on your smartphone and just buy the map tiles for where you actually want.
i wish i had known this earlier.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 06:51:52, 13/02/18 »
Just to correct/add to the above.  With a Garmin there are free maps for pretty much everywhere in the world. That's not true of satmap AFAIK.
Where there's a will ...

Addingham

« Reply #10 on: 05:17:12, 14/02/18 »
Ive got a Satmap Active 10 upgraded during its last service to the orange buttons.
I love it, nice big screen, Sd route cards and the ability to use either re-chargeable batteries or AA's.
It is fairly waterproof and has never let me down in wet conditions.
Water can seep in behind the screen protector and fog around the edges, however it doesn't get inside the unit and the protector is easy to remove and clean.

Hi,

I have had a Satmap 10 also since their inception. Ever since they came out. Had many problems with it. Buttons fell off regularly so had to reinforce with waterproof tape plus the tape helps with ingress of water as these units are not water proof and water can get through there. >:(  Their original solution was a gigantic rubber cover that made the unit nearly unusable. Better with an aquapack and cheaper. Had it serviced at least 6 times at a cost.

I didn't realise that they now fit the new orange sat 12 buttons? Maybe these are more robust than the original grey buttons? Any idea?

I did upgrade to a Satmap 12. Unfortunately that was even worse than a 10. My first trip the screen steamed up and was unreadable in white out conditions albeit. And not under the screen protector but inside the screen did not clear for 3 days. So sent it back and a refund eventually received. I am glad I did they then brought out the 20 after only 2 years of the updated 12. Will wait and see what none biased reviewers eventually say about the 20. Then I may upgrade.

I like the mapping better than Garmin a lot clearer due to not being raster mapping that Garmin use.

Any feedback about these new buttons? If they seem better I may have another service but at £40+ is a bit steep IMHO. Never needed one with a Garmin after 8 years. ;D
« Last Edit: 06:13:17, 14/02/18 by Addingham »

Addingham

« Reply #11 on: 05:21:32, 14/02/18 »
hi are there any free maps for the satmap active 20,i was gifted this device but unsure of any free maps i could put on sd card,or should i just run with my phone and mapping

A quick answer. NO. You have to purchase them unless the unit came with OS or European mapping. These are not cheap. So for running a phone is all you need. IMHO

Why not return it for a refund? ;)

« Last Edit: 08:07:56, 14/02/18 by Addingham »

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 06:56:14, 14/02/18 »
Note that only Garmin maps are raster maps.  OSM ones are vector maps so no blurring and very clear  O0
Where there's a will ...

Addingham

« Reply #13 on: 07:01:09, 14/02/18 »
Note that only Garmin maps are raster maps.  OSM ones are vector maps so no blurring and very clear  O0

I do know that. ;)  Have them all UK OSM. :D  A bit of a Nerd to be honest. :D

I am still in the dark why Garmin don't use vectors? Maybe a restriction by OS or probably Garmin want more profits by just using a photo of the mapping basically. ;)
« Last Edit: 08:09:27, 14/02/18 by Addingham »

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 16:28:49, 14/02/18 »
I do know that.

I know you know that but just clarifying for those who don't who read this thread  O0

As for why Garmin don't use vectors they do for many of their maps but not the OS ones. I suspect it's either an OS requirement or too expensive to convert them to vector maps.
Where there's a will ...

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy