Author Topic: Boots dilemma, advice please.. Update  (Read 8618 times)

rockhopper353

Boots dilemma, advice please.. Update
« on: 14:23:01, 06/11/18 »
Need some new winter boots and have decided to go the leather route after trying fabric boots and not getting much longevity from them.
I walk everyday in all weathers with the dog on heathland and in woods etc, and we go out on the swcp fairly often along with some hill walking a couple of times a year.
The boots I've narrowed it down to are the Scarpa delta gtx and the Altberg tethera. The price difference between the 2 boots is quite significant and I'm unsure if I can justify the Altberg's, but they seem to get great reviews and if they'll last I'm prepared to pay the extra.
It's not easy for me to go to stores and try various boots for fit as I'm a size 13 so difficult to find them in stock.
Any recommendations from people who have had either of the two boots in question would be greatly appreciated 
« Last Edit: 13:19:18, 07/11/18 by rockhopper353 »

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Re: Boots dilemma, advice please
« Reply #1 on: 15:35:42, 06/11/18 »
Welcome - where are you based?
Solvitur Ambulando

rockhopper353

« Reply #2 on: 15:44:20, 06/11/18 »
Welcome - where are you based?

Hi, I'm in Bournemouth so would look to go to the Altberg retailer in Taunton or the local go outdoors 

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 16:16:12, 06/11/18 »

Hi, I'm in Bournemouth so would look to go to the Altberg retailer in Taunton or the local go outdoors
I have used Taunton Leisure in Taunton, if you get lucky you can park outside the shop for 30 mins otherwise it is a walk from the nearest car park. They do a good fitting service and should have what you need.  I would give them a ring first though to be sure.  I recently bought a second pair of Tetheras from them to cover the gap while my other pair were being resoled at the factory.  Only you can decided what is comfortable for you but I do similar walking doing 100+ trips a year and i swear by my Tetheras.  Mrs N is equally happy with her Fremingtons which are also on their second set of soles.
Solvitur Ambulando

rockhopper353

« Reply #4 on: 16:28:25, 06/11/18 »
I have used Taunton Leisure in Taunton, if you get lucky you can park outside the shop for 30 mins otherwise it is a walk from the nearest car park. They do a good fitting service and should have what you need.  I would give them a ring first though to be sure.  I recently bought a second pair of Tetheras from them to cover the gap while my other pair were being resoled at the factory.  Only you can decided what is comfortable for you but I do similar walking doing 100+ trips a year and i swear by my Tetheras.  Mrs N is equally happy with her Fremingtons which are also on their second set of soles.

Thanks for the information regarding the Taunton shop. Sounds like you endorse the extra expense of the Altberg boots then, I can pick up the Scarpas for £120 so quite a price difference but do like the idea of a properly fitting boot, and with the variations in fitting options in the Altbergs theres more chance of comfy boots with my big feet!

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 16:33:51, 06/11/18 »
The bottom line with boots is comfort is everything.

No boots can stand up to the rigours which daily dog walking imposes on them for very long without suffering serious wear my advice would be for you to get measured and then keep an eye on eBay for some Altberg Defender military boots in Size 13M or 13W (Medium or Wide fitting depending on your feet) and use these for your daily dog walking activities as they're cheap enough to be able to replace them as and when they wear out. In normal sizes they usually sell for between £50-£90 for new in box but can be cheaper for used examples. Being ex-military issue there's nowhere you can try before you buy but if you have any miltary surplus type shops near you they may be worth a visit.

https://www.altberg.co.uk/product/mens-defender-combat-boot-mod-brown-uk-military-issue-boot/

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ALT-BERG-Mens-Defender-Combat-Boots-Brown-Leather-Genuine-Issue-Size-13-Medium/113218649156

If you find that you need a more substantial boot for your SWCP walks and occasional hill walking activities save your money and go with the cheaper option and visit your local Go Outdoors and have a look at the Scarpa Delta GTX Activ Men's Walking Boots @ £198 https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/scarpa-delta-gtx-activ-walking-boots-p20555 only if they fit/suit your feet and are comfortable get Go Outdoors to price match here https://www.snowandrock.com/p/scarpa-men-s-delta-gore-tex-active-B1122414.html which should reduce the price down to £108.

For less than the cost of the Altberg Tethera it's possible to buy both the Altberg Defender and the Scarpa Delta GTX Activ and use them for different purposes.

Davidedgarjones

« Reply #6 on: 16:55:33, 06/11/18 »
Like you I started out with The Altberg and Scarpa. Altberg stockists were not very helpful in terms of availability. So I went to Go Outdoors where they had 4 models to choose from. In the end I went for the Kailash Pro GTX which has a good chunky sole. Interestingly each of the Scarpa boots felt a little different - all size 44. Go Outdoors score high on stock but I wouldn't go there for expert fitting.
Dave

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 17:49:43, 06/11/18 »
If you want longevity go for the altberg tetheras. I've had Scarpa boots that were very comfy and a very good boot, just didn't last as long as I hoped. My tetheras have lasted much longer.

Hate will never win

jontea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 18:08:53, 06/11/18 »
Go with Altberg, top quality boots with a great after sales service. I own a pair of Mallerstang’s and they are excellent.
But with any boots, it’s all about the fitting and comfort  O0
Walking is the world’s oldest exercise and today’s modern medicine.

https://www.johntrowsdaleart.com/

Instagram  jontea62

rockhopper353

« Reply #9 on: 18:28:17, 06/11/18 »
Appreciate the helpful replies, I know these sort of posts keep repeating so thanks.
I'm going to head to go outdoors tomorrow and try the Scarpas because if they price match snow and rock they seem a good deal at £110, plus the store is 15 mins away.
In my head though I am leaning towards the Altberg boots as they appear to be half the weight and I've got a knee issue so the less clunky the better really. This probably puts the option of the defenders out as well as they look like beasts but appreciate the suggestion.

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 19:08:49, 06/11/18 »
In my head though I am leaning towards the Altberg boots as they appear to be half the weight and I've got a knee issue so the less clunky the better really. This probably puts the option of the defenders out as well as they look like beasts but appreciate the suggestion.
The weights you've looked cannot be compared with each other - weight per boot against weight per pair. 

The weight of the Altberg Tethera is 736gms per boot (Size 9) or 1472gms per pair against the weight of the Scarpa Delta GTX of 1520gms per pair (Size EU 42/UK 8) so in reality there's not much in it and the Scarpa Delta is only 58gms per pair heavier than the Tethera (or slightly over an ounce per boot in English money).

By comparison the Altberg Defender is 741gms per boot (Size 9) or 1482gms per pair so they're only 10 gms per pair heavier than the Tethera and in reality not that much of a beast but their major advantage is that they definitely are much cheaper to replace when they inevitably wear out with your daily dog walking use.

rockhopper353

« Reply #11 on: 19:31:56, 06/11/18 »
The weights you've looked cannot be compared with each other - weight per boot against weight per pair. 

The weight of the Altberg Tethera is 736gms per boot (Size 9) or 1472gms per pair against the weight of the Scarpa Delta GTX of 1520gms per pair (Size EU 42/UK 8) so in reality there's not much in it and the Scarpa Delta is only 58gms per pair heavier than the Tethera (or slightly over an ounce per boot in English money).

By comparison the Altberg Defender is 741gms per boot (Size 9) or 1482gms per pair so they're only 10 gms per pair heavier than the Tethera and in reality not that much of a beast but their major advantage is that they definitely are much cheaper to replace when they inevitably wear out with your daily dog walking use.

Thanks for pointing that out I'd stupidly assumed the tethera was half the weight!
Had a look on ebay at the defender's, there's one pair of 13's and they want £90 😳

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 19:38:16, 06/11/18 »
Because you're looking for a size 13 (not a normal size) you will need to be patient until some are listed but they do get listed occasionally.

Do a search on eBay for Altberg 13 and tick the completed listings box to show you those that have sold recently and how much they sold for.

rockhopper353

« Reply #13 on: 22:03:44, 06/11/18 »
Because you're looking for a size 13 (not a normal size) you will need to be patient until some are listed but they do get listed occasionally.

Do a search on eBay for Altberg 13 and tick the completed listings box to show you those that have sold recently and how much they sold for.

Checking the completed listing does show that there is a bargain to be had with these boots (even In a 13) so I'll definitely be keeping an eye out for a pair 👍

rockhopper353

Re: Boots dilemma, advice please.. Update
« Reply #14 on: 13:23:57, 07/11/18 »
So here's an update. I purchased the Scarpas from go outdoors for £108 with the 30 day trial as I'm not totally sure on the fit. They are fine back to front and side to side but I'm feeling a little pressure on the back area of the top of my toes, is this normal in a new boot or is there a particular issue with sizing that could be causing this?

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy