Author Topic: Trip Report: St Cuthbert's Way - July 2019  (Read 1357 times)

PeteL

Trip Report: St Cuthbert's Way - July 2019
« on: 23:14:17, 26/07/19 »
Just written up a trip report for our St Cuthbert's Way walk at the start of July. Great route, a lot better then we were expecting, the bits through the Cheviots were excellent, and the finish across the sand to Lindisfarne has to be one of the more interesting walk finishes in the UK! Summary:

Day 1: From Melrose, straight up to the saddle between the Eildon Hills, with superb views, nice stretch along the River Tweed, then following the route of the old Roman road of Dere Street.

Day 2: Various tracks and forest sections took us to the small castle at Cesspool, and minor roads to Morebattle. Then grassy paths took us over the hills of Grubbit Law and Wideopen Hill, to drop down into Kirk Yetholm.

Day 3: Superb walking, through the foothills of the Cheviots, grass paths across fern or heather covered hillside, felt quite remote in places. First glimpses of the sea, before dropping down to the small town of Wooler.

Day 4: Pleasant walking over Weetwood Moor, then tracks and minor roads to the impressive St Cuthbert's Cave. More tracks, forest, and easy grass fields to the Lindisfarne Causeway, which was underwater!

Day 5: Barefoot walking at low tide across the sand and mud of the Pilgrim's Path to reach the rather popular Lindisfarne.

A few pics:

Full report and more pics at http://www.c8h10n4o2.org/walking/cuthberts/index.html [nofollow]

Pete

vghikers

• Veteran Member
Re: Trip Report: St Cuthbert's Way - July 2019
« Reply #1 on: 08:53:12, 27/07/19 »
Good account and pictures, the Borders have much underrated walking country.
We included one section of St. Cuthbert's Way on a backpack years ago, I know the cave and vaguely recognize some views. That car driver on the causeway must have been a bit on edge.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 10:46:03, 27/07/19 »
Did you drop in for a coffee and cake at the Morebattle church cafe? A very nice Vicar and very hospitable.

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 04:06:12, 28/07/19 »
Excellent blog post & photos Pete. O0  A walk I’d like to do myself one day.
***Happiness is only a smile away***

PeteL

« Reply #4 on: 16:05:36, 28/07/19 »
We did indeed stop at the church cafe at Morebattle, and got served by the Vicar herself.

I get the impression that the Lindisfarne locals know how fine they can cut it when driving over the causeway!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy