Author Topic: any advice odeciphering the body's signals for injury verses just some soreness?  (Read 1425 times)

Theo Frum

There's nothing wimpy about paying heed to your bodies messages so you're not out of action for ages.

As a child I was systematically brainwashed by a shrink into ignoring symptoms when I felt unwell, and my parents were coached to do the same. Now at 61 I have numerous permanent health problems as a direct consequence of ignoring them for years.

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member

The reason people get unwittingly sucked into overtraining is because the warning signs and symptoms are anything but obvious.

I frequently had the feeling that all tiredness had vanished, as if I could keep going forever, whilst my actual ability to exercise was declining. I felt less fatigued at the end of the day instead of more so. Muscle aches start two days after the exercise instead of one day after. Loss of appetite. insomnia and night sweats. POTS. Bowel cramps. Recurring injuries. And all the time your fitness is declining you're motivated to keep training harder in an attempt to regain it.

If you think that overtraining symptoms are as simple as 'feeling tired' you're mistaken.

Not over training signals, pain as negative damage vs pain as muscle soreness.

I hadn't thought about other overtraining symptoms at all, thanks for the information.

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member

As a child I was systematically brainwashed by a shrink into ignoring symptoms when I felt unwell, and my parents were coached to do the same. Now at 61 I have numerous permanent health problems as a direct consequence of ignoring them for years.

That's tragic. Hope you still get some enjoyment out of life and that psychiatry has come along since then.

scottk

Might be worth getting your feet looked at for insoles. I use superfeet and if I don’t I get bad pain in my feet as I have flat feet! That led to knee and hip issues. Luckily it was easily fixed.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy