Author Topic: New to walking looking for a bit of advice  (Read 955 times)

deedee7

New to walking looking for a bit of advice
« on: 14:23:55, 13/08/20 »
Recently decided to give walking a try, I know this sounds weird but I have always been a very stationary individual, mostly working 8-12 hours a day sitting down. Due to recent health issues I have been trying for the last 2 weeks to go out there and just walk until tired. Sadly I have an issue where I don't get tired but my legs give out first, limiting me to calling it a day and going home.

I am 5'8 weighing in about 245 pounds. I struggle to do 2-3 rounds around the local park before my right leg starts acting up. Its on the outer right leg, probably about an inch or 2 above my ankles. The way I describe it is a rubber-band being pulled and stretching to the point its about to break but never does. I have tried to stretch out before walking and even took breaks in between my walks but this pain always comes back.

What is shocking to me is my running buddy is twice my size and has zero issues with leg pain but gives up after a bit due to breathing. I am the complete opposite and certain day 1 round about the park and the pain kicks in. I feel like I am holding down my friend and myself due to this strange leg pain. We both are striving to get healthier but today in the morning after our run, is the first time I felt like just calling it quits. Reason I am here is I don't want to and I don't have any other healthy lifestyle living friends who to ask for help. Has anyone encountered this particular pain while walking and how did you overcome it?

Thanks

fatmanwalking

Re: New to walking looking for a bit of advice
« Reply #1 on: 15:19:48, 13/08/20 »
welcome aboard!

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 15:53:09, 13/08/20 »
Welcome to the forum, DeeDee. :)

I would get some professional advice, either from your GP or a sports physio.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

fatmanwalking

« Reply #3 on: 16:09:41, 13/08/20 »
There are so many things to unpack and I'm not very elegant and honestly I'm pretty brutal usually when I discuss my own weight so there's a chance I could offend you and if I do please know that's not my intention.

I took a couple of guesses and assumed you are a 30 year old female and chucked that into a BMI calculator.

Healthy weight range for your height:
8st 10lb - 11st 11lb

You're carrying an entire extra person and that is why you're struggling. One of the biggest things I've learned recently is that mentally I think I am considerably more capable than I really am. I've been setting goals which sound fantastic on paper but my body isn't ready for it.

I have a similar pain nearby my right calf muscle and it's probably caused by pushing too hard. It's humbling to fail when you know other people could do better.

This is where I think you're being very wise and reaching out to people on the forum, it's been a valuable thing for me, as a reality check it's essential.

Frankly you are going to suffer for a while, for me personally, I had to endure days of excruciating muscle pain where I was tearing the muscles and rebuilding them from my walks. I couldn't walk up and down the stairs without holding on and whimpering quietly as I was sore again from a recent walk.

Once those particular pains went away more subtle screams could be heard from other areas of my body.

Joint pain in my ankles especially being the most concerning.

Keeping in mind prior to all of this I walked to the shop every morning at 7am for about a year alongside eating healthily (read: correctly not binging or starving). That short distance every day felt good and my body was handling it perfectly. So I had an okay-ish-for-a-really-fat-person foundation to start from and it has still been brutal at times, especially in the beginning, building up distance.

Can you get your [censored] into gear without relying on someone else to motivate you to get out? if so, ditch em for a while, you need to figure out what is safe for you to do. If you need that additional push to get out then I'm not sure how to handle the situation better but you need to focus on what is correct for you to do.

Something I wasn't sure about with what you said was that you mentioned walking then running and going for a run. I truly hope you're not trying to run or jog yet.

I recall one day I was out for a walk where I saw another fat man walking, as we crossed paths I noticed he was looking exhausted which I felt needed a comment from me to try and boost his morale. "Come on mate, youve got this!", i blurted out. We had a little chat which he explained he had already walked 15 miles that day. I was shocked and impressed and like I told him I was lucky to make 5 miles on a good day.

That conversation made me push harder beyond what my body was ready for and i started aiming for 10 miles in future walks and whilst I made large incremental jumps towards it I ultimately had to concede I'm not ready for it. I used to be able to walk 10 miles with no problem whatsoever too, I would walk along the same route as the northern line (london underground) on occasion for fun. So to accept that actually I'm going to need to build up slowly was impossible. It was causing me severe bouts of guilt and depression for failing to meet my high standards.

Until I finally took on board what people have been telling me here on the forum. It's great to push yourself, and even through soreness but you gotta be sensible about it. Now I go out more days a week but limit myself to much lower distances because it all adds up anyway in the long run. It's all far more enjoyable again now too.

I hope you continue to walk because I truly love it, when you take some of the guilt and pressure away, it becomes beautiful.
« Last Edit: 16:28:21, 13/08/20 by fatmanwalking »

Booga

« Reply #4 on: 17:07:56, 13/08/20 »
Welcome to the forums. As someone else with leg issues I would definately agree that seeing a professional such as a sports physio is the way to go. Explain to them what your activities are (running and walking) and get them to have a proper look at you so you know what's up and how to treat the issue.

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 17:49:13, 13/08/20 »
 Is the pain at the front of the ankle or the back of the ankle? Pain at the back is usually associated with achilles tendinitis  or a pulled soleus muscle.Pain at the front,an inch or two above the ankle, is often a stress fracture or shin splints.A stress fracture is normally associated with high mileage so this is unlikely but shin spints are often caused by doing too much,too soon.Try rest and ice but if the symptoms persist its best to seek professional advice.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 18:09:45, 13/08/20 »
Having a similar location pain myself (twice) I'd go along with 'tonyk.' I tried GP and physio, same result, rest and a bag of frozen peas.

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 19:43:43, 13/08/20 »
Two weeks is just not enough to condition joints , muscles and ligaments that have been sedentary for years , even if generally you do not feel tired , It sounds like your legs are tired ... You must give yourself , and especially your limbs , more time to adjust to walking like you are . Ease off and do less , more .  :)
Ps & no offence meant but 17.5 stone is much more weight than a person at 5` 8" tall is designed to carry . I think a better course of action than going to a physio , is first to lose some weight . Is your running buddy 34 stone , as you said the person is twice your size .?

« Last Edit: 19:56:55, 13/08/20 by GinAndPlatonic »
A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

deedee7

« Reply #8 on: 23:24:39, 13/08/20 »
Just got in from work thank you all for the kind words I don't plan to give up just felt frustrated today.

Two weeks is just not enough to condition joints , muscles and ligaments that have been sedentary for years , even if generally you do not feel tired , It sounds like your legs are tired ... You must give yourself , and especially your limbs , more time to adjust to walking like you are . Ease off and do less , more .  :)
Ps & no offence meant but 17.5 stone is much more weight than a person at 5` 8" tall is designed to carry . I think a better course of action than going to a physio , is first to lose some weight . Is your running buddy 34 stone , as you said the person is twice your size .?

I am hoping that is the case and yes my running buddy is my cousin who is 6'4 and about 410. We are people who have always complained about our health and never done anything about it. I lost my husband early this year and its been my rock bottom. I am ashamed to not have cared about my well being until now but I can cry myself into a corner or do something about it. Thank you for the feedback I plan to focus a bit more on getting help from a doctor this coming week and take things a bit slower.

There are so many things to unpack and I'm not very elegant and honestly I'm pretty brutal usually when I discuss my own weight so there's a chance I could offend you and if I do please know that's not my intention.

I took a couple of guesses and assumed you are a 30 year old female and chucked that into a BMI calculator.

Healthy weight range for your height:
8st 10lb - 11st 11lb

You're carrying an entire extra person and that is why you're struggling. One of the biggest things I've learned recently is that mentally I think I am considerably more capable than I really am. I've been setting goals which sound fantastic on paper but my body isn't ready for it.

I have a similar pain nearby my right calf muscle and it's probably caused by pushing too hard. It's humbling to fail when you know other people could do better.

This is where I think you're being very wise and reaching out to people on the forum, it's been a valuable thing for me, as a reality check it's essential.

Frankly you are going to suffer for a while, for me personally, I had to endure days of excruciating muscle pain where I was tearing the muscles and rebuilding them from my walks. I couldn't walk up and down the stairs without holding on and whimpering quietly as I was sore again from a recent walk.

Once those particular pains went away more subtle screams could be heard from other areas of my body.

Joint pain in my ankles especially being the most concerning.

Keeping in mind prior to all of this I walked to the shop every morning at 7am for about a year alongside eating healthily (read: correctly not binging or starving). That short distance every day felt good and my body was handling it perfectly. So I had an okay-ish-for-a-really-fat-person foundation to start from and it has still been brutal at times, especially in the beginning, building up distance.

Can you get your [censored] into gear without relying on someone else to motivate you to get out? if so, ditch em for a while, you need to figure out what is safe for you to do. If you need that additional push to get out then I'm not sure how to handle the situation better but you need to focus on what is correct for you to do.

Something I wasn't sure about with what you said was that you mentioned walking then running and going for a run. I truly hope you're not trying to run or jog yet.

I recall one day I was out for a walk where I saw another fat man walking, as we crossed paths I noticed he was looking exhausted which I felt needed a comment from me to try and boost his morale. "Come on mate, youve got this!", i blurted out. We had a little chat which he explained he had already walked 15 miles that day. I was shocked and impressed and like I told him I was lucky to make 5 miles on a good day.

That conversation made me push harder beyond what my body was ready for and i started aiming for 10 miles in future walks and whilst I made large incremental jumps towards it I ultimately had to concede I'm not ready for it. I used to be able to walk 10 miles with no problem whatsoever too, I would walk along the same route as the northern line (london underground) on occasion for fun. So to accept that actually I'm going to need to build up slowly was impossible. It was causing me severe bouts of guilt and depression for failing to meet my high standards.

Until I finally took on board what people have been telling me here on the forum. It's great to push yourself, and even through soreness but you gotta be sensible about it. Now I go out more days a week but limit myself to much lower distances because it all adds up anyway in the long run. It's all far more enjoyable again now too.

I hope you continue to walk because I truly love it, when you take some of the guilt and pressure away, it becomes beautiful.

Oh Its a really beautiful thing I guess that is why I am so frustrated to see myself getting hurt and feeling with a lot of pain. I see how much my cousin is also trying so hard and I don't want to let him down either. Also guessing my age is pretty amazing its actually 34 :)

Appreciate your kind words I wont give up either!

To everyone else I decided to get a doctor visit next week and let her know what I been doing and if she can set me up to see a sports physio like most of you mentioned. I been trying to push myself but I recognized I need to take some proper steps and then if all is good keep it going.

forgotmyoldpassword

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 00:03:48, 14/08/20 »
Little and often when it comes to exercise, you want to be putting a slightly increased load on your system and to condition your body in to expecting a higher level of movement than it has been used to.

Bariatric treatment has fortunately moved on and we're seeing more budget allocated to prevention at this stage - so you may be able to find a physio/etc through the NHS.  Overall though, in short it's going to take a little bit of work, and 75% of it is going to be diet related.

Eating a large pizza with a pretty full topping by yourself is something like 260kcals a slice.. so around 2000kcals a pizza.  You'll probably be burning something like 130calories a mile when you're walking with your weight.  Simple maths means you're going to have to do a [censored] load of walking to get the weight off without any diet changes. 

I'd start with a trainer for specific advice, take it seriously and remember that consistency is more important than one long walk every few weeks and then running out of steam. 

cornwallcoastpathdweller

« Reply #10 on: 14:12:36, 14/08/20 »
Standard advice when starting an exercise regime, particularly if overweight sedentary or unfit, is to speak to your GP beforehand.  I know people try and avoid 'wasting' the GP's time, but a quick chat beforehand is an essential and most GP's would welcome the opportunity to discuss realistic precautions.

They would far far sooner give a bit of advice, and likely encouragement knowing your personal circumstances initially, than pick up the complicated pieces once you've injured yourself by trying to much too soon.
one step then another then another then a bench - please?

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 13:09:22, 15/08/20 »
All I can offer is just don't go walking, its such a mess in the UK -

https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/uk-covid-19-staycation-nightmare/index.html

:o

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy