Author Topic: Weekend wonder!!!! Crinkle Crags/ Helvellyn via Striding Edge  (Read 4307 times)

walkinggirluk

• Veteran Member
Just got back from a two day wonder off the Lakelands fells....  Which was awesome...  Arrived late Friday as of work!!! Found the National Trust site to be full (Filled up from midday Friday), ended up at the other campsite futher up the road.....  Which was full via 8pm....  Gosh that was lucky...  Had a few tins.. And an alreet night sleep, woke to gorgeous weather...  Set off via Pike of Blisco via redacre from wall end farm  on to the Great Knott (Great scrambling to be had here)... over to Cold pike than Cold pike west top than on to Cold pike far west top over to Little Stand and finally  Crinkle Crags south top than Crinkle Crags its self !!!! Shelter Crags, Shelter Crags (North Top), this fantastic walk took us 4 hours and 9.5 miles with ascent off 3800 feet...

Second day was the "hairy pie" moment for me Striding Edge via Helvellyn and Swirral edge! Started off at Glenridding and ascending via Brickhouse moor were the bluebells were flowering on leading to Striding Edge (Which I thought was going to be a hairy pie mo), wasn't as bad as Crib Goch....'I'd rate c/Goch over Striding Edge........ Nope squeaky @ss  (A round Red tarn), must of been a bit cold for anyone trying to do a naked moment,lol!!!! But the winds where absolutely frantic and peeps were getting blown this way and that a way!!! As it wasn't all that dranting after all...... We was going to do pinnacle ridge... Although the weather was nice,but  the winds where strong up there so we thought it be dangerously silly mebee nxt time...  Once over Stridge Edge and climb up the slope into full view of Helvellyn where the wind picked up and I was blown all over the show....  descended down via Swirral Edge were I was rock back and forth and side to side.... Once down the walk was least hairy I must say.....  Finishing up at  Travellers rest hurrah hurrah .  But a wicked weekender   Pictures to come!!!!!! Another 9 miles 4 hours and 4000ft of ascent.....   :)
peace and tranquillity in the countryside. clean your rubbish up after you  respect it.

clean it bin it

ukmase

• Veteran Member
Nice report i was visuallising it as i was reading it, all fresh in the mind.

cragster

• Veteran Member
Sounds like a great weekend. Did you go over the Bad Step when ascending crinkle crags? May I dare suggest that maybe you've got your miles and kilometres mixed up? I'm not trying to take anything away from you but I know these walks well and reckon they are nearer the 7 mile mark.
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

walkinggirluk

• Veteran Member
Sounds like a great weekend. Did you go over the Bad Step when ascending crinkle crags? May I dare suggest that maybe you've got your miles and kilometres mixed up? I'm not trying to take anything away from you but I know these walks well and reckon they are nearer the 7 mile mark.
Hehe!!! Its deffo miles as via the nutalls book anyway....  Yeah did the bad step, which wasn't that bad lol!!! We also took our dog (Staffordshire bull terrier), with us and she managed it fine, we went with a couple of friends off our as well which helped.......... ;)

Cheers ukmase, not me first ever scramble at such an high level.....  Not only was I terrified on doing this route, I thought I was going to have a 'squeaky @ss  moment', however it wasn't that bad and managed to walk across the rim of the ridge with more or least no problem....  UKMASE!!! Crib Goch you'll love it... Hoping to do pinnacle ridge within the nxt few weeks......  and really wanting to do Tower Ridge!!!! In the summer and than to extend me scrambling experience to Europe!!! Via the way I sent you mail.......  :) ;D :D

cragster.  Which route mebee just mebee I was out a bit on one of the routes...  Soz bout that...... :D
peace and tranquillity in the countryside. clean your rubbish up after you  respect it.

clean it bin it

greenman

nice report WG I will be doing the same walk on 5th July.
greenman

darksky

• Veteran Member
Good report WG.., I agree with you WG striding is good but i really dont think its as good as alot of folk make out..,dont get me wrong i do love and enjoy doing it and intend to do it lots more times but i do want to try the other ridge's like sharp edge etc,etc and then maybe i can have more of an idea as to which is the best for their own qualities.
'''get out there and experience as much as you can its beautiful and have yourself alotta fun doing it'''

walkinggirluk

• Veteran Member
Soz not posted piccy up before!!!!!! Been busy. But here you go.

clean it bin it

darksky

• Veteran Member
Great photos guys..,what other walks have you done like striding edge?
'''get out there and experience as much as you can its beautiful and have yourself alotta fun doing it'''

walkinggirluk

• Veteran Member
Well we tend to go out every weekend, so it's quite difficult to say... Crib Goch was our first that was a bit spooky high for me, am such a cool headed person y'know knife edge ridges are quite scary to say the least and for someone who as vertigo  I don't think I don't think I do to badly... On them they are jolly good fun I must admit!!! i would rate Crib Goch thou.  :crazy2:

clean it bin it

Dazza

• Veteran Member
Great report. Shame it confirmed one thing for me. I wouldn't be able to cope with Striding Edge.

I hate heights you see. So ridges like striding edge are a major problem.
Dazza
--------
These boots were made for walking so that's just what I'll do. After I've re-proofed them of course...

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy