Author Topic: Footprint. Yes or no?  (Read 3437 times)

GoneWest

Re: Footprint. Yes or no?
« Reply #15 on: 13:23:21, 21/05/20 »
I have successfully used the kind of permeable membrane you get in garden centres for suppressing weeds. OK, it's not, by definition, waterproof but it is light and is strong enough to be helpful under a thin tent floor. I've also found it a useful material for the porch or other rained-upon areas around the tent because it lets most of the water through and doesn't form puddles.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 14:37:12, 21/05/20 »
When The Helm tent was mentioned I thought, shall I look at this tent seriously again? I looked and gave up its a 2 person tent! On the Naturehike site is their Taga 1 the nearest model?

Johnny Thunder

« Reply #17 on: 14:39:45, 21/05/20 »
I have successfully used the kind of permeable membrane you get in garden centres for suppressing weeds. OK, it's not, by definition, waterproof but it is light and is strong enough to be helpful under a thin tent floor. I've also found it a useful material for the porch or other rained-upon areas around the tent because it lets most of the water through and doesn't form puddles.

I'm sure I have some of this kicking around in the shed. I could always give it a go. Thanks for the idea.

When The Helm tent was mentioned I thought, shall I look at this tent seriously again? I looked and gave up its a 2 person tent! On the Naturehike site is their Taga 1 the nearest model?

They do a 1 man too I think.

Johnny Thunder

« Reply #18 on: 14:42:46, 21/05/20 »
Here is the link to the 1 Man Compact. Inner and outer pitch together, which was one of the main features I was looking for.

https://www.terra-nova.co.uk/all-tents/1-man-tents/helm-compact-1-tent/?c=19767

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 15:06:46, 21/05/20 »

The Helm range have a cross pole that extends all the way to the ground, for added stability. The cross pole on the Taga is cantilevered out from the main pole, MSR HubbaHubba style. A potential weakness that offends the engineer in me.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Sonatine

« Reply #20 on: 21:29:25, 22/05/20 »
I use a piece of tyvek under my tent where I sleep, it weighs about 100 grams. Have a look on ebay there was someone selling person size pieces for just under £5. Waterproof, tough, light, and cheap so it doesn't matter if it goes missing.

taxino8

« Reply #21 on: 07:48:25, 23/05/20 »
I always use a footprint, it’s permanently attached to the underside of my tent, the reason being my tent was very expensive so I wanted to give the groundsheet a bit more protection from unseen rocks, etc.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 08:35:17, 23/05/20 »
I use a piece of tyvek under my tent where I sleep, it weighs about 100 grams. Have a look on ebay there was someone selling person size pieces for just under £5. Waterproof, tough, light, and cheap so it doesn't matter if it goes missing.

I've heard of Tyvek being used before - is it not a bit crackly? Or am I mistaking it for something else?
« Last Edit: 08:40:36, 23/05/20 by richardh1905 »

Requiem

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 09:05:45, 23/05/20 »
It won't cause any harm getting one (other than increasing initial cash outlay) - They're usually light enough to carry just-in-case, and if its not used under the tent it often useful to put next to the tent when the grounds damp to sit on and chill
PT Business: poshpollyprints.co.uk
Twitter: @pollardroy
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/roypollard/
Facebook: Roy Pollard

Sonatine

« Reply #24 on: 11:13:05, 23/05/20 »

I've heard of Tyvek being used before - is it not a bit crackly? Or am I mistaking it for something else?

I've heard some complain about that, but it doesn't bother me. It can sound a bit crunchy at times, but as a footprint with your mat and sleeping bag on top, the opportunity for it flexing and crunching are limited, so it's no bother really. I've heard tell that some people put their tyvek in the washing machine with clothes to soften it, but I've not tried as I have no issue personally. Enjoyed your photos from south lakes, I might have seen my house in the panoramas of the bay, ha!  ;D

Sonatine

« Reply #25 on: 11:19:06, 23/05/20 »

Sorry forgot to add, some use polycro sheets, I haven't tried myself. I think these are lighter, and are also crunchy. Harder to get hold of, though I believe you can get a good sized sheet as part of a window insulation kit for about a tenner. I've not bothered as I'm entirely satisfied with tyvek.

I think the only manufacturers footprint I have is where it gives me an option to pitch without using the inner cabin, just the fly and footprint. I think this is the only circumstance where I would consider buying the manufacturers footprint given the cost, a fivers worth of tyvek provides exceptional protection.

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 12:45:46, 23/05/20 »
You can, if you think that more money means better quality, go for this:
https://proclima.com/service/distribution/united-kingdom

It is intelligent.
I don't use emojis, irony is better, you decide

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 14:37:23, 23/05/20 »
Enjoyed your photos from south lakes, I might have seen my house in the panoramas of the bay, ha!  ;D

Glad that you enjoyed them.  :)

Johnny Thunder

« Reply #28 on: 15:30:03, 23/05/20 »
Thanks everyone. Plenty for me to think about. I might just give that Tyvek a go first if it only a fiver or so.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy