Author Topic: Mountain hardwear trango 3.1  (Read 1569 times)

vfr

Mountain hardwear trango 3.1
« on: 14:16:57, 14/12/17 »
Hi. I have just got a used mountain hardwear trango 3.1 off ebay. But when i look at the fly sheet. I noticed the tape seams were flakeing and comeing away from the seam.has anyone else had this problem. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

beefy

• Veteran Member
Re: Mountain hardwear trango 3.1
« Reply #1 on: 14:44:33, 14/12/17 »
Hi. I have just got a used mountain hardwear trango 3.1 off ebay. But when i look at the fly sheet. I noticed the tape seams were flakeing and comeing away from the seam.has anyone else had this problem. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks
You could try seam sealing them back on
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

vfr

« Reply #2 on: 14:55:54, 14/12/17 »
Hi.  The seams are not peeling away but are turning to powered. I have a lot of tents but have never see this.I am surprised on a tent of this quality

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 15:59:08, 14/12/17 »
Hi.  The seams are not peeling away but are turning to powered. I have a lot of tents but have never see this.I am surprised on a tent of this quality
Very strange indeed?
Could you post a close up pic I would like to see it
Regards beefy  8)
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

Cairncamper

« Reply #4 on: 19:45:47, 15/12/17 »
In the first post you said the tape was coming away, then later said it wasn't peeling away.

Anyway, I had old Berghaus jacket, bought second hand before I knew how water proof jackets were made exactly, and the seam tape had come away from the seams in some areas. The tape itself was drier and less flexible than fresh tape, and the tapes adhesive had dried out, cracked and become flaky, powdery and crumbly.

The tape on your tent has basically started to decay, and the only way I see of fixing it is to remove the tape, clean the fabric of any residual adhesive, and re tape or use seam sealant to re water proof the seams.

I'm always weary of buying waterproof stuff second hand now, especially if you can't see taped and sealed areas.
« Last Edit: 19:50:10, 15/12/17 by Cairncamper »

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 21:10:57, 16/12/17 »
I'd test the fabric too. If it's that degraded the coating might be toast too. If not then all you can do is remove as much if the tape as you can and reseal it.

archaeoroutes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 11:01:00, 18/12/17 »
Very odd. I've had a Trango 2 for about 15 years and no sign of that. Possibly bad storage and/or overexposure to UV?
Walking routes visiting ancient sites in Britain's uplands: http://www.archaeoroutes.co.uk

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy