Author Topic: Ukmase - Cleveland way  (Read 9033 times)

ogy

Ukmase - Cleveland way
« on: 09:30:04, 06/07/08 »
Hope he's aright, that was some serious rain we had out this way yesterday
There is no such thing as bad weather, only inappropriate clothing. - Sir Ranulph Fiennes

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
Re: Ukmase - Cleveland way
« Reply #1 on: 10:40:01, 06/07/08 »
Typical innit? You plan something for months, then , when it comes to it, it chucks it down... :(
Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

See the blog!  www.northernpies.blogspot.com

Mr. Blister

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 11:02:58, 06/07/08 »
Ogy, you beat me to it mate!  Was just going to start a thread on UKmase's trip!  Also, it's the guy's birthday today, so thought it would be a good birthday greeting for him.

The rain has been particularly bad this week, hope it hasn't slowed him down too much.  He has set himself a tight schedule, and if I remember he only has one free day as well.

Go on, son, you can do it!  O0

ogy

« Reply #3 on: 11:27:50, 06/07/08 »
Tanking it down again today too...... Happy birthday mate O0
There is no such thing as bad weather, only inappropriate clothing. - Sir Ranulph Fiennes

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 12:33:55, 06/07/08 »
Our thoughts are with him at this difficult time!... :D
Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

See the blog!  www.northernpies.blogspot.com

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 13:59:04, 06/07/08 »

He'll be okay and the experience will be good for him.Its just a matter of getting on with it and making the most of the conditions.

If his clothes get too waterlogged he can always walk in his birthday suit. ;D

titaniumdude

« Reply #6 on: 00:40:51, 07/07/08 »
cool
« Last Edit: 00:44:02, 07/07/08 by titaniumdude »
I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing

Skinny Walker

« Reply #7 on: 09:44:02, 07/07/08 »
Weather to be bad again this week. Good luck mate!
You need special shoes for hiking - and a bit of a special soul as well.  ~Emme Woodhull-Bäche

ogy

« Reply #8 on: 10:41:00, 07/07/08 »
He'll hopefully be pretty much finished. I think he started Wednesday and had a 5 day plan
Good luck again matey, I've done little bits of the coastal section and it can get well boggy.

Mr. Blister

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 16:57:07, 07/07/08 »
I've done little bits of the coastal section and it can get well boggy.

I've walked most of the coastal section at one time or another, and found it ok .. You're always thinking: 'I'll just pass the next cove and then take a break', but you just carry on.  I find it an area repetitive in its beauty, I'm sure he'll be loving it.  O0

You still doing the Minster Way?

ukmase

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 12:36:53, 08/07/08 »
GUTTED !!!!!!

Had to abandon the walk at day 4 due to wrecked feet. I am totally gutted as i was flying along and found the walking easy. In the end it was my inexperience that cost me, i thought the pain in my feet would just keep going away after a nights sleep. I should of stopped at 20 miles on day 3 instead of pushing on for 30miles.
The walk was great and i was loving it, i got a few blisters on day one but ignored them. Day 2 was lovely weather until i got caught on top of Carlton Bank in a thunder storm. I got absolutely soaked though, think this mucked me feet up as the blisters ripped and i had trench foot. Day 3 was a long walk of nearly 30 miles in boiling heat on what was the hardest part of the walk. I flew round fueled by pain killers and great scenenry.
Day 4 - end of walk, i had no sleep over night as i was whincing in pain all night with my feet, got out of the tent on the morning and my feet gave way and i ended up on the deck.

I cannot explain how gutted i am, if i could of put weight on my feet i would of kept going. Physically it was easy going, i lost a stone but kept a good pace all the way, never really tiring. But the damage done to my feet ended it. So innoying to have to give up when i wanted to keep going. I made the right choice though as i still cant walk properly even today 3 days later.

Lessons have been learned
1) I carried to much rucksack weight
2) Feet are not immortal
3) Keep days to a min of 25miles

Anyway i will go back and finish the other 2 days in a few weeks when i get chance. Spirit has took a knock but i will come back more determined and a little bit wiser.

I will get some photos up soon, cheers for all the support messages.

ogy

« Reply #11 on: 12:50:56, 08/07/08 »
You did well though mate in this tossy weather

Now the questions come flying O0

How far did you manage all together??
Do you think there is anything you could have done (or wished you had) to protect your feet??
What camp sites did you make???

Belated happy birthday mate ;)

ukmase

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 12:57:52, 08/07/08 »
I got to Saltburn, so i had 2 easy days walking left. In my mind i had broken the back of the walk and was on the home stretch, shame i broke my feet also.

Campsites, High Paradise Farm, Lord Stones and the cliffs at Saltburn.

I dont know about my feet, the blisters i can take, but it was like a car had run over both of my feet, they were black and blue and swollen. The NF Hedgehods seemed really comfy and supportive. Socks seemed okay. I think it was the weight of my pack and mylsef slamming down onto hard rocky paths on day 3. Thing is when i was moving it was sort of okay, then my feet totally swelled over night.

Maybe a trip to the doctor is in order, cant work it out how my feet could of got so mucked up.

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 13:47:46, 08/07/08 »

Sounds like you might have march fractures of both feet. :o Best to go to the quack and get them checked out.You did the right thing in stopping as going on when your feet are in that condition can cause permanent damage.The coastal section isn't that easy,a lot of ups and downs with steps.You did well though in bashing out thirty miles in one go with a heavy pack. I think your main problem was in your feet not being conditioned to doing long walks day after day.It might be an idea to stick to 15-20 miles a day until your feet become conditioned.Any long distance activity is a matter of gradual conditioning.

One tip,if you get caught in a thunderstorm make sure the tent flysheet is at hand and get under it until the storm passes.I have done this on numerous occassions and have managed to keep dry when everyone else is walking around in wet clothes.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 14:07:57, 08/07/08 »
Condolences, hope you're soon OK.

I just Googled March Fractures as I had not heard the term, it turns out to be stress fractures of the feet.
The first site I looked at said;
Some features that are common to stress fractures include: 1) repetitive exercise; 2) localized pain that becomes worse with ultrasound; 3) recent change to your training regimen (this could be from the introduction of high-impact exercise such as running or aerobics; backpacking with heavier weight over longer-than-usual distances; increased intensity of exercise, whether from adding jumping, speed, or distance without being properly prepared);

Sounds possible and nasty.
« Last Edit: 14:35:50, 08/07/08 by Ridge »

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy