Author Topic: Ukmase - Cleveland way  (Read 9034 times)

ogy

Re: Ukmase - Cleveland way
« Reply #15 on: 14:11:59, 08/07/08 »
A few more q's mate, sorry to hear you hurt so much O0

How did you find camping on the cliffs, did you find a good spot??

How do you think you could have lessened the  weight??
Anything you forgot to take you wished you had??

What were water supplies like? how much did you carry and where did you fill up??
Food wise did you stop and eat anywhere or just what you had taken?? Any tips??

O.k. I'll take the interrogation light away for now  ;D ;D ;D ;D
Get well soon mate, Good to have you back safe and sound

Ogy
There is no such thing as bad weather, only inappropriate clothing. - Sir Ranulph Fiennes

ukmase

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 14:36:25, 08/07/08 »
Cliffs- just around the bend out of sight of Saltburn is the best spot.

Weight - I carried far too much food, food was available just about every day.

Forgot - camera charger so did not get piccies of last night.

Water supplies- v.good. I carried 2lts a day, you can fill up at Tourist info centres, cafes, outside taps on farms. Not a problem.

Food wise - Lord stones cafe, very very good grub, real cheap, he also dried my boots and clothes out in his boiler rooms which kinda saved day 3.
Glebe cottage in Kildale was also good, there is not much about on the approach to Kildale and the path is awful. Very good toastie.

Hope i have not done any permanent damage, fingers crossed, cheers for the info though !!

Skinny Walker

« Reply #17 on: 14:46:26, 08/07/08 »
Bad luck UKmase, but I gotta say pretty hardcore effort covering that distance!!
You need special shoes for hiking - and a bit of a special soul as well.  ~Emme Woodhull-Bäche

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 16:16:02, 08/07/08 »
 If you haven't already done so put your feet in a bucket of iced water for twenty minutes,three times a day.It will help take the swelling down.I tend to do this at the end of a days walk,often making use of mountain streams or a cold water hose in farmyards,it really helps with recovery.

walkinggirluk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 17:33:42, 08/07/08 »
Ukmase.  fantastic stuff Ok you didn't complete it but you took your best shoot at it, and within the day count that you were aiming for bloody well done mate.  That an achviement in itself......I remember when T-DUDE did the Ridgeway he had the same problem his feet were twice the size.  And it took a few weeks to claim down, he couldn't put his boots on and had to walk round with his now really old TNF on.

One point for you!!!!!!!! How did you find the TNF mid boots, as T-DUDE brought a pair of these and found them on the narrow size compared to his old trail shoe ones however they have changed the design on these trail shoe/boot....  Anyhow fanbloodytastic.  Can't wait to see the picture.  O0 O0
peace and tranquillity in the countryside. clean your rubbish up after you  respect it.

clean it bin it

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 17:38:46, 08/07/08 »
It was a good effort  - probably, if the weather had been a bit less mad, you'd have been OK...  many other people would have dropped out long before you did.   All good experience for you, though, so there's always a positive side to these things. You'll be able to pass on some good advice to peeps on this forum!   I hope the feet are OK...
Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

See the blog!  www.northernpies.blogspot.com

ukmase

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 20:17:41, 08/07/08 »
The TNF Hedgehogs seemes really comfy, i did get 2 blisters on each of my little toes but i always seem to get them.  Prefer them to my old boots anyday.

Cheers for all the messages everyone, i am already making plans for the C2C and to finish off the 2days of the CW. I also seen a bit of the famous Lyke Wake Walk route, looks really good.

Got to get my feet in training though, the rest of the body seems fit enougth just need to toughen up the plates of meat !!

Any suggestions, one of my army mates told me to wee on my blisters :-[

darksky

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 20:27:41, 08/07/08 »
Alrite uk..,just wanna say well done and dont be to hard on yourself for not totally completing it, like you say, your gonna finish it of soon as you can plus alot of people do long walks in stages, its all a learning curve , but anyway pal well done, and a be-lated Happy Birthday.   O0 O0 O0 O0
'''get out there and experience as much as you can its beautiful and have yourself alotta fun doing it'''

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 21:27:43, 08/07/08 »

Any suggestions, one of my army mates told me to wee on my blisters

He's taking the [censored]. ;D

Seriously though,as I said in a previous post,its all about conditioning.The human body is capable of extraordinary feats of endurance provided its trained properly before attempting the task.All training must be specific to task,if you are going to attempt a hard walk you need to train like a walker rather than gain the fitness you would aquire by going to the gym.This might sound like stating the obvious but I have lost count of the times I have met walkers who have trained for a long walk by lifting weights in the gym and neglected spending time on their feet! Its better to go for a walk with a forty pound pack on your back which will also add to leg strength and as a secondary effect trains the upperbody.Its all about time spent on your feet,the longer the better.

If its any consolation to you my first attempt at a multiday walk (the Peakland Way in 1982) ended exactly the same as your attempt,ie,wrecked feet after three days.Three months later,after getting rid of a lot of pack weight and a change of boots,I sailed through the Coast to Coast Walk in 12 days and didn't have any problems.You already have the base fitness in place,and more importantly the right mental attitude,so its just a matter of some adjustments to kit and training to up your game a few notches.

cragster

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 22:26:46, 08/07/08 »
Good effort mate.

I've had a stress fracture to my foot back packing and I know how much it hurts. At first I though it was just like a muscle cramp and I could walk it of but It got so painful I had to pitch up early then carry on the next day to my final destination. It wasn't any less painful the next day and getting going on it again was hard work but a few pints at the pub at the end helped numb the pain. It took over a week to die down significantly and I bought some cushioned insoles for my shoes which I think helped.

Bonjela is excellent for blisters!

I don't think losing 1 stone in four days is good, did you take on enough water?
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

kkm

« Reply #25 on: 23:25:51, 09/07/08 »
oh to loose a stone in 4 days....... :D

well done uk - a grand effort. and yeah this week last year was also very wet.....although the year before it was a heat wave....you never can tell...... :)

Dazza

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 21:55:41, 10/07/08 »
Well even though you may be down hearted at not finishing (yet) it's a hell of an achievement regardless. Add on top the weather we've had lately then youhave an even tougher job.

Must say I'm a TNF Hogs fan and they really are comfy (too much so really, you tend want to wear them all the time).

I'd agree with Tonyk about training and stuff. General fitness training is great (I'm rejoining a gym soon now I've moved) but training for a specific job is best of all. I haven't got [censored] all walking done this year really and have loads scheduled for Sept and October. So I'll be doing some more walking related stuff. My calf muscles are 18" round but I still struggle on big hills so even despite appearances I need help.

An excellent effort though and better luck on the C2C. A walk I'd love to tackle if I didn't hate campnig so much.
Dazza
--------
These boots were made for walking so that's just what I'll do. After I've re-proofed them of course...

walking-books

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 12:40:55, 11/07/08 »
 O0
Respect for getting as far as you did in bizarre weather conditions - hope the feet recover ASAP so you can finish what you started.

Looking forward to seeing the pics.
Mike

www.walking-books.com
Books, guides and maps on Britain's best scenic walks

Come and have a chat on Twitter - walkingbookscom

ogy

« Reply #28 on: 21:22:16, 11/07/08 »
Hows the feet mate??

Few more q's come to mind  ;D

How long did it take you to cover the 30 miles??

Did you need to get the maps or guide out much (the parts of cw I have done were very very well signposted)??

How did you split your days?? ie did you have a designated lunch time etc or just stop when need be??

What sleep bag did you use, was it up to the job (probably the only thing I need now is a new pit bag)??

The Osmotherley to Bloworth section is fantastic part of the lww isn't it.
There is no such thing as bad weather, only inappropriate clothing. - Sir Ranulph Fiennes

ukmase

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 10:17:21, 12/07/08 »
OGY

It took me about 10 hours with a hour stop and a few rests.

The maps are not really needed, but i always like to see how far i need to go.

I did not have set lunches, i just kep walking until my feet began to ache.

I took a really light weight sleeping bag and hated it, i could not get wamr on a night and lost loads of sleep, never comprimise on a warm bag !!!

My favourite bit of the walk was Kildale to Roseberry Topping.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy