Author Topic: Is it just bad manners?  (Read 2906 times)

pleb

• Veteran Member
Re: Is it just bad manners?
« Reply #15 on: 10:23:25, 28/06/19 »

Same as the abuse people with Inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) get after exiting a disabled toilet by the public. >:(
Thats incredible, I wouldnt dare abuse a stranger without VERY good reason.
Was also going to mention aspergers and those who struggle with eye contact.
Must admit first time I walked with beefy just thought he was a poser, but thats not the same as saying so, is it?
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 10:55:18, 28/06/19 »
'Ordinary' sunglasses are ok but I really dislike the mirrored ones. It's like being interrogated when the light shines back into my eyes. If my own image is reflected back then it's worse, like talking to myself in the mirror (which I normally only do when alone).

Are mirrored ones in any way better/necessary for the problems mentioned?

So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 11:39:27, 28/06/19 »
'Ordinary' sunglasses are ok but I really dislike the mirrored ones. It's like being interrogated when the light shines back into my eyes. If my own image is reflected back then it's worse, like talking to myself in the mirror (which I normally only do when alone).

People today are less aware that they are invading another persons space. This is probably just another symptom of that. GWM asked if it was bad manners, when one person is unaware of how they are imposing on others and do not have the ability to read the signs that they are making others uncomfortable that is bad manners. IMO.
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 12:46:58, 28/06/19 »
I inadvertently bought mirrored sunglasses. They look the same as normal sunglasses. I got a shock when beefy mentioned they were mirrored ones! I tend to break sunglasses after a few months so they will be replaced with normal ones.
Hate will never win

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 13:00:33, 28/06/19 »
[quiet author=barewirewalker link=topic=38643.msg550247#msg550247 date=1561718367]
People today are less aware that they are invading another persons space. This is probably just another symptom of that. GWM asked if it was bad manners, when one person is unaware of how they are imposing on others and do not have the ability to read the signs that they are making others uncomfortable that is bad manners. IMO.

What if that person is blind, or has serious mental health problems, would you think that they have bad manners?

Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 13:12:15, 28/06/19 »
What if that person is blind, or has serious mental health problems, would you think that they have bad manners?

So the person, who might be offended, then should recognize that.
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

Pitboot

« Reply #21 on: 13:14:28, 28/06/19 »
During my entire time in the forces sunglasses were forbidden unless you had a medical officers certificate, I never knew anyone who got one issued. The reason cited by many an RSM:
"They hide the character of the wearer."

That's the military mind for you  ::)

forgotmyoldpassword

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 13:40:40, 28/06/19 »
Honestly, as someone who wears shades a lot when I hike - I do admit those wrap around mirrored ones do make you look like a bit of a dick.  At least being able to see your eyes 'through' the shades lets you have a much better conversation than trying to look at this miniature reflection of yourself.

Only exception to this would be ski goggles, which are obviously designed to make you look cool for your GoPro shots.

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 14:04:26, 28/06/19 »
During my entire time in the forces sunglasses were forbidden

That shows you weren't a "Top Gun" then  ;D
Clearly this is a very emotive subject and shows that we all literally walk on eggshells for fear of offending (or being offended by) somebody, either by our reaction to them or by their appearance or actions towards us ..... a moral maze.
I had such an encounter the other day when out walking and came across a neighbour. We stopped & chatted for a while and then parted company.
He wore his sunglasses throughout the conversation. We were quite close together while chatting (which was for my benefit). I wasn't offended that he kept his glasses on but, because we were so close, I didn't know what to look at as I seemed to be faced with a wall of black plastic, rather than eyes & other features.
It was sort of disconcerting as I didn't know if he was looking at me or nodding off  ;D
Having recently undergone neurosurgery to remove a tumour I suspected the sunglasses were possibly for medical reasons rather than a fashion statement.
I was just glad, but not as much as he was, that he was out walking and able to talk.

sensitive to light.

Apologies, not wishing to be flippant. That reminds me of a song  8) 
But not by Bad Manners !

Only a hill but all of life to me, up there between the sunset and the sea. 
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 14:09:25, 28/06/19 »

Oh... :)
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 15:05:32, 28/06/19 »
During my entire time in the forces sunglasses were forbidden unless you had a medical officers certificate, I never knew anyone who got one issued. The reason cited by many an RSM:
"They hide the character of the wearer."

That's the military mind for you  ::)

I wore photochromic lenses for a chunk of my military career with no problem even when recruit training.  If I wanted the WO to know what I thought I would tell him.  I also had chit once when I had a dose of UV iritis and was having drops to keep one eye fully dilated which made aviating fun as I lost depth perception so had to fly with a safety pilot to handle the tricky negotiation of the air/ground interface.  I could see the runway, just no idea quite how far away it was.

To return to the thread - I wear photochromic lenses now and no, I don't take them off when I talk to people because if I do they will be out of focus and the bright light would probably make we sneeze all over them.
Solvitur Ambulando

Florence Lamb

« Reply #26 on: 17:00:28, 28/06/19 »
I'm with you Beefy, April..............My goodness, irritated over sunglasses -  what can I say!

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 17:36:10, 28/06/19 »
It has never occurred to me to be offended by people talking to me whilst wearing sunglasses. Live and let live.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 17:36:51, 28/06/19 »
I really do find it difficult talk comfortably to someone wearing mirrored sunglasses - not being able to see their eyes reduces my ability to communicate fully with them. There is, to me, a part of the communication signal missing; similar to trying to connect with someone who struggles making eye contact.
I'm not offended just a bit less able.The problem is obviously me not picking up on all the other signals properly.
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

dank86

« Reply #29 on: 22:11:51, 28/06/19 »
If you're worried about the light being reflected back at you from mirrored glasses think about why the person hasn't taken them off.. if the reflection is blinding you they are going to blind themselves by removing them.

I wear my sunglasses anytime it's sunny, mostly for eye health. I have no issue if people don't remove them when talking, there are other ways you can tell a person is interested and paying attention

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy