Author Topic: Best Grasmere walks?  (Read 2279 times)

wildCAMPER

Best Grasmere walks?
« on: 11:05:40, 05/03/21 »
Hi all - currently making plans for a trip to the Lakes when restrictions allow. Just wondering what your favourite walks are in the Grasmere area? I've done a few walks in the area - perhaps they are the more well known / popular ones? But I don't know the area comprehensively and may be missing out on some good ones? My favourite Grasmere walks are below - any other ideas?

Basic route around Grasmere map:

Quite enjoyed this extend route around Grasmere & Rydal water via the Coffin route:

This is the best view I've seen of Grasmere so far from Loughrigg Terrace - any other good vantage points around Gasmere?

Also love the Loughrigg Fell walk from the area - one of my favourite short walks in the Lake District:

The views of Grasmere are amazing en-route to Loughrigg Fell too:

Does anyone have any other good walking routes from Garsmere?

I've not done the Fairfield Horseshoe - only tackled Fairfield rom Patterdale - is it a bit of a slog? Would you have to start this from Ambleside rather than Grasmere?

Any recommended walks to the west of Grasmere?

Cheers!

forgotmyoldpassword

• Veteran Member
Re: Best Grasmere walks?
« Reply #1 on: 11:56:21, 05/03/21 »
Very possible to do the Fairfield horseshoe from different spots, I did it from the car park near Nab Cottage and despite finishing in torrential rain was a nice day out with some stunning views.  It's far easier than some would make you believe and if you ascend via the most easterly ridge by the time you've hit High Pike you've done the hard bit, the rest of the day is a gentle trundle.  Would try to watch the wind forecast for this one though as due to the ridge aspects they really speed up the typical south-westerlies which tend to hit this part of the world.

For other routes around Grasmere you really need to include the Helm Crag route to the W.  But even if you ignore the Helm Crag ridge (why would you!) there's a short circular to Easdale Tarn, as well as Easedale Gill up and down Tarn Crag (stopping at Easdale Tarn).   One of my favourite routes in the lakes is the Helm Crag to Silver How horse-shoe but it's fairly tiring on the legs, particularly if you include Steel Fell.  However if you just do the Helm Crag route up it's got plenty of character, then you can choose to swoop around towards Sergeant Man/High Raise (both great view points), then either down to the tarn or sweep around to Silver How (which in my opinion is a far better route in decent than ascent due to the views being better to the west, and lets you enjoy the views to the north east as you ascend the opposite side of the valley). 

P.S. Arrive early as Grasmere parking is limited and this year it's going to be full quickly.

wildCAMPER

« Reply #2 on: 12:30:03, 05/03/21 »
Thanks a lot - Helm Crag looks interesting. Always like a tarn in the mix too and found the below route which looks a good day out! Never been up Silver How before either - and I guess both very well-known spots !

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 16:33:42, 05/03/21 »
A couple of my favourites

Helm Crag is nice and you can decide if you want to climb the howitzer at the top - Gibson Knot - Calf Crag then turn right and come down from Steel Fell down Contra Breast which is a bit of a knee tester.

TR from almost this route http://www.walkingforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=15589.msg207540#msg207540

Silver How - Blea Rigg - Stickle Tarn - Pavey Arc either by Jacks Rack or Harrison Stickle depending on how you feel about a bit of a scramble - Thunacar Knott - Sergeant Man - Easdale Tarn.

and again a TR which is not quite the route http://www.walkingforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=15306.msg202642#msg202642
« Last Edit: 16:49:30, 05/03/21 by Ridge »

Slowcoach

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 16:53:49, 05/03/21 »
Grasmere to Easedale Tarn to Sergeant Man to High Raise to Greenup Edge to Calf Crag to Pike of Carrs to Gibson Knott to Helm Crag down into Grasmere.
It's all uphill from here.

wildCAMPER

« Reply #5 on: 17:02:46, 05/03/21 »
A couple of my favourites

Helm Crag is nice and you can decide if you want to climb the howitzer at the top - Gibson Knot - Calf Crag then turn right and come down from Steel Fell down Contra Breast which is a bit of a knee tester.

TR from almost this route http://www.walkingforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=15589.msg207540#msg207540

Silver How - Blea Rigg - Stickle Tarn - Pavey Arc either by Jacks Rack or Harrison Stickle depending on how you feel about a bit of a scramble - Thunacar Knott - Sergeant Man - Easdale Tarn.

and again a TR which is not quite the route http://www.walkingforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=15306.msg202642#msg202642

O0

wildCAMPER

« Reply #6 on: 17:02:53, 05/03/21 »
Grasmere to Easedale Tarn to Sergeant Man to High Raise to Greenup Edge to Calf Crag to Pike of Carrs to Gibson Knott to Helm Crag down into Grasmere.

O0

wildCAMPER

« Reply #7 on: 17:03:34, 05/03/21 »
Plenty of options there for some walks near Grasmere - thanks  :)

Percy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 18:31:35, 05/03/21 »
Great views of Grasmere from Seat Sandal. Lots of routes you could do to incorporate that including following the coast 2 coast route up to Grisedale Tarn.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 21:39:37, 05/03/21 »
As well as the obvious round of Rydal, Loughrigg and Grasmere, you can also easily get on to Fairfield by a number of routes. This is the route that my son and I took late December just before the latest lockdown.

https://wildaboutwalking.wordpress.com/lake-district/fairfield-and-great-rigg/

Fairfield from below Seat Sandal

Alcock Tarn is worth a visit.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

forgotmyoldpassword

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 11:10:46, 06/03/21 »
Great views of Grasmere from Seat Sandal. Lots of routes you could do to incorporate that including following the coast 2 coast route up to Grisedale Tarn.

Forgot about this.  Seat Sandal has been seared from my mind after ascending the eastern aspect in shocking weather, and sliding about something awful.  But the summit cairn/shelter is quite impressive (a sort of stone seat) which gives a good view on clear crisp days especially (as you'll most likely have northerlies to contend with and get the better view to the south).  I'll have to get back up the Grisedale valley and climb it again in better conditions as I should really replace that memory with a better one.

Percy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 12:30:29, 06/03/21 »

Forgot about this.  Seat Sandal has been seared from my mind after ascending the eastern aspect in shocking weather, and sliding about something awful.  But the summit cairn/shelter is quite impressive (a sort of stone seat) which gives a good view on clear crisp days especially (as you'll most likely have northerlies to contend with and get the better view to the south).  I'll have to get back up the Grisedale valley and climb it again in better conditions as I should really replace that memory with a better one.
My last trip up there was on a glorious day in May, shocked to see it was 5 years ago when looking through my tracks on viewranger. When I got home I thought an insect had bitten me on the back but it turned out to be the start of shingles.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy