Author Topic: Bavaria  (Read 1805 times)

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
Bavaria
« on: 22:17:15, 04/08/14 »
We are staying in Ramsau near Berchtesgaden in Bavaria at the beginning of September.  Just starting to research walks so if anyone is familiar with area any advice greatly appreciated.

pgt

Re: Bavaria
« Reply #1 on: 09:46:52, 05/08/14 »
You lucky, lucky thing !
I did a four day walk in that area a few years ago and it was beautiful. Hard work, but beautiful.
We stayed in the AlpenVerein (Alpine club) huts. If you do that then it is worth joining the UK branch of the AlpenVerein aacuk.org.uk. It gets you discounts in the huts and also importantly it includes insurance.
Anyway, I digress.
The route we took was to start at Konigsee. Take the boat on the lake to St. Bartoloma chapel. From there we walked up to Karlingerhaus (1630m).
Day 2 we walked across the Steinernes Meer to RiemanHaus (2177m).
Day 3 from Riemann Haus to Wimbachgries Hutte (1327m)
Day 4 from Wimbachgrieshutte to Ramsau.

If you are experienced walkers and fancy a bit of an adventure then I can thoroughly recommend that. If you fancy something a bit gentler then the boat ride on Konigsee to St Bartholoma, followed by a little stroll around there would be good. But to be honest it's all lovely.
p.s. We went in late May when there was still a covering of snow on the Steinernees Meer. I haven't actually seen it in the late summer. I imagine it could be very barren up there.
« Last Edit: 10:22:51, 05/08/14 by pgt »

pgt

« Reply #2 on: 18:24:12, 06/08/14 »
 And this thread gave me the perfect excuse to dig out my map. Kompass Wander and BikeKarte 794 (Walking and Bike map 794) looks like it will be perfect for you : Ramsau is in the middle of the map.  According to my scribblings the boat trip from Konigsee to St Bartoloma took an hour and then we walked for four hours to get to Karlingerhaus. On Day 2 it took us four hours to get from Karlingerhaus to RiemannHaus. The third day was a very long one : four hours in the morning to reach IngolstadterHaus and another five in the afternoon to get down to Wimbachgrieshutte. Day 4 took three hours to walk down to Ramsau.

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 18:27:12, 25/08/14 »
Thanks for that will try and get that map when we get there. We have an apartment in Ramsau so will need to get back there each day, but will check out some of your suggestions.

pgt

« Reply #4 on: 14:14:23, 31/10/14 »
Just wondering, how was your trip ?

Summit

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 22:39:13, 01/11/14 »
Yes with pics please  O0
BURN FAT NOT OIL

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 16:42:37, 02/11/14 »
Sorry did mean to come back on and do a trip report but never got round to it. Not sure how to add pics though! We had a great time, Ramsau is a very good base and lots a varied walking, will work on a report, watch this space!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy