Author Topic: Walking Holiday in Madeira  (Read 1468 times)

OneGirlandherDog

Walking Holiday in Madeira
« on: 23:49:57, 19/02/15 »
My friend has asked me to go on holiday with her later this year and has suggested Madeira. It's  through K E Adventure so we know it will be well organised as we've both holidayed with them before. 

Has anyone ever been there? We're thinking of the end of October so not sure what the weather will be like.

Best wishes.

ramblingpete

• Veteran Member
Re: Walking Holiday in Madeira
« Reply #1 on: 08:33:58, 20/02/15 »
It rains a lot but sun dries stuff out pretty quick.

Some great walks. Have a look here -

http://www.ramblingpete.walkingplaces.co.uk/other/madeira/pico.htm

OneGirlandherDog

« Reply #2 on: 09:29:16, 20/02/15 »
Thanks Pete. Will do

Best wishes.

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 18:24:14, 20/02/15 »
Hoidayed in early November and the weather was good except for one day. We were walking independantly using a 'Sunflower' book which was really excellent for route finding and details of buses. Lovely walks; though a few a bit vertiginous.
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 18:50:13, 20/02/15 »
Yes we went there in May/June a couple of years ago and did lots of walking.  I think we may have had the Sunflower book too, I'm not sure, we borrowed it from the library.  A lot of the routes follow the levadas (irrigation system). They're like mini canals with paths alongside them. It's quite easy walking along them although for some you need a bit of a head for heights. We also walked around the highest points on the island, great views if you get there before the clouds descend, which they often do. We said hello to everyone we passed and not a single person was English, they were nearly all German or French. All the Brits were in Funchal the capital which we didn't like at all, couldn't wait to get out to the countryside again! Luckily we weren't staying there, we had an apartment in a village along the south coast.

OneGirlandherDog

« Reply #5 on: 22:42:22, 20/02/15 »
Thanks it's good to know you enjoyed it.

I'll have a chat with my friend about it xx

Best wishes.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy