Author Topic: OS Maps online / mobile advice  (Read 4621 times)

RubberSoul

Re: OS Maps online / mobile advice
« Reply #15 on: 20:30:28, 01/03/18 »
aah its cool. Think I just sussed it.

HikerSte

« Reply #16 on: 23:51:13, 01/03/18 »
I use the app 'Backcountry' on Android to view OS maps, there's a free version and a one off paid version.

I use this all time as my back up, I find it so much better than OS Maps.

Glyno

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 06:21:19, 02/03/18 »
I can never understand why people faff about with Bing maps and suchlike when you can actually get 12 months subscription to OS Maps for £8!

https://secure.tesco.com/clubcard/boost/os-maps-online/UK-004131.prd

Lakeland Lorry

« Reply #18 on: 08:53:37, 02/03/18 »
I can't beat Glyno's £8 subscription offer, but YHA Members can get 20% off an annual subscription to OS Maps online.

https://www.yha.org.uk/our-partners/ordnance-survey

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 12:51:54, 02/03/18 »
I can never understand why people faff about with Bing maps and suchlike when you can actually get 12 months subscription to OS Maps for £8!

https://secure.tesco.com/clubcard/boost/os-maps-online/UK-004131.prd

What faff?  I use the snipping tool to grab a map from the screen, in Bing maps.  Then print that out and laminate it.  Very simple takes but a few minutes from start to finish. O0

If I try the same from my OS account, I can only view and print at the scale I have paid for ie 1:25k.  This may be different with an annual  subscription account. 

With Bing you can choose your scale 1:50 or 1:25 or others.  Hence I use Bing, despite paying OS, because I personalty find the interface better, for printing off maps.  The beauty of the OS map tool, is the map is downloaded on your phone.

So GPS & OSmaps tool for primary navigation & an A4 paper laminated map and my old companion Silva, as a back up, for those occasions when the Phone decides it's having a bad day.
« Last Edit: 12:57:41, 02/03/18 by BuzyG »

Glyno

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 14:50:02, 02/03/18 »

If I try the same from my OS account, I can only view and print at the scale I have paid for ie 1:25k.  This may be different with an annual  subscription account. 

Yes, it is.

You can print at A4 and A3, 1/25k, 1/50k, aerial, aerial 3D and Standard Topo. No need to rescale either.

You can also plot and save routes, import routes, and print them at any of the above formats.

G4rymw

« Reply #21 on: 22:09:48, 14/03/18 »
TRIAL magazine are offering free OS digital maps for a year worth £25.99 if you subscribe to a 6 month magazine subscription costing £17.50 , I buy TRIAL now and then so might take this up , question ? once on OS maps will it be able to download routes or maps to a Garmin 64s or just to a mobile device , phone, tablet and your home laptop , also when viewing on the phone following a route  does it come off your data , not clued up on download and tech as you can tell ,thanks

Just been on website seems a bit clearer now, can’t download to Garmin though
« Last Edit: 22:22:44, 14/03/18 by G4rymw »

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 06:52:07, 15/03/18 »
OS maps on line offering a free 7 day trial right now so you may want to take advantage of that first to see whether it suits your needs.  Note it doesn't allow you to transfer mapping to your 64 but you can export a gpx file to send to your 64.

Following a route on your phone doesn't use data, although sending the map to your device will but you can do that via wifi at home.
Where there's a will ...

G4rymw

« Reply #23 on: 08:15:50, 15/03/18 »
OS maps on line offering a free 7 day trial right now so you may want to take advantage of that first to see whether it suits your needs.  Note it doesn't allow you to transfer mapping to your 64 but you can export a gpx file to send to your 64.

Following a route on your phone doesn't use data, although sending the map to your device will but you can do that via wifi at home.

Ah thanks , I went on the OS site after I posted reply, so I could upload a route map from them to my phone , it looks similar to Basecamp but their own version , not sure about how to transfer it to gpx file then to 64s, interesting to know I can use it on my phone without any data though. The 7 day trial doesn’t feature all the available options but I will try it then like you said get the premium version which offers more options,I would get if free with the Trial magazine subscription and as I read that it would work out cheaper as getting 2 products for a cheap price,Reviews say the OS premium is good  so I’ll look into again,thanks for reply , it’s good to get some knowledge on here when your a novice like me  O0

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 08:41:11, 15/03/18 »
... not sure about how to transfer it to gpx file then to 64s

You export the gpx file of the route, then copy that to the GPX folder on your GPS.
Where there's a will ...

G4rymw

« Reply #25 on: 08:54:26, 15/03/18 »
You export the gpx file of the route, then copy that to the GPX folder on your GPS.

Great thanks  O0

GordonHorwich

« Reply #26 on: 22:03:29, 31/03/18 »
Original question answered but just to back up - I find OSMaps subscription extremely useful. I print off and laminate for anything from a few miles fell race to the LDWA 100. Saves the bulk of full maps and also useful on an iPad mini on a dry day.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy