Author Topic: Where are folks walking this weekend?  (Read 573270 times)

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
Re: Where are folks walking this weekend?
« Reply #3150 on: 07:13:50, 14/09/20 »

Happily folks never seem to wise up to that one. O0

Psychology is  strange thing. ???

It is..

From time to time I switch direction in which I do circular walks. As I start and finish in same place..height “climbed” has to be same whichever direction I do it in..but one way “feels” much more strenuous than the other.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3151 on: 17:34:33, 19/09/20 »
A family walk up the Old Man of Coniston from Torver today, via Goat's Water. Lovely scenery, gorgeous weather, masses of people, especially at the summit!
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3152 on: 18:21:54, 19/09/20 »
I am beginning to wonder if I have created a monster.
For our own amusement I keep a spreadsheet cum diary of our walks during the year.  During the week I let slip to Mrs N that she was not far off 700 miles for the year which, thanks to Covid-19, was a personal best.  She came to walking late, when she finallly decided I could not always be trusted out on my own, so she had better keep an eye on me.  Previously she has never walked more that 690 miles in the year and I have always been a fair way ahead but this year I only have a 65 mile lead.
The next thing I know she insists that, with a bit of effort, she could crack 700 miles by Sunday so today we have been out doing a circular walk using the Two Moors Way and now she is at 701 miles and a bit.  Is she happy?  No!  Now she has aspirations to do 1000 miles by the end of the year so we are off again tomorrow for another Two Moors Way based loop.  ::)
I wonder if there is some sort of support group I can get in touch with?
Solvitur Ambulando

Dodgylegs

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3153 on: 19:30:25, 19/09/20 »
For our own amusement I keep a spreadsheet cum diary of our walks during the year.  During the week I let slip to Mrs N that she was not far off 700 miles for the year which, thanks to Covid-19, was a personal best.  She came to walking late, when she finallly decided I could not always be trusted out on my own, so she had better keep an eye on me.  Previously she has never walked more that 690 miles in the year and I have always been a fair way ahead but this year I only have a 65 mile lead.
The next thing I know she insists that, with a bit of effort, she could crack 700 miles by Sunday so today we have been out doing a circular walk using the Two Moors Way and now she is at 701 miles and a bit.  Is she happy?  No!  Now she has aspirations to do 1000 miles by the end of the year so we are off again tomorrow for another Two Moors Way based loop.  ::)
;D

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3154 on: 21:15:24, 19/09/20 »
If I were you, I would console myself by self testing for COVID-19 🍺🍷🥃

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3155 on: 12:29:36, 20/09/20 »
Posted some photos of a 10K route I regularly run but this morning walked with my fiancé (don't worry I also did a 9 mile run 8) ::) :P) here. It's a circular from Appleby to nearby Brampton.

Ferret

« Reply #3156 on: 10:50:22, 21/09/20 »
Followed the Pennine Way, from Hardraw, up to Great Shunner Fell then across country to the Buttertubs road before going over Lovely Seat and dropping back to the village.

Used the Nuttalls' guide for the first time in ages. Remember now why we always used to refer to them as the Nutters.  :)  Top day though!  O0

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3157 on: 11:07:50, 21/09/20 »
Sounds good, Ferret - I must head east into the Dales sometime soon - too good to be overlooked.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3158 on: 12:05:50, 21/09/20 »

Be careful of this one. Quality over quantity is a mantra I now use after chasing 1500 miles last year and realising I was just wearing bits of me out, without gaining further fitness or more importantly enjoying it any more. The problem was I started walking/jogging on roads, as it was far faster than open moorland. I have gone back softer, but tougher ground and less distance now. That might be a hard one to sell to Mrs N though.
« Last Edit: 12:11:22, 21/09/20 by BuzyG »

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3159 on: 12:14:52, 21/09/20 »
Short walk and rock climbing at Roche rock on Saturday.  Then a lovely walk on South Bodmin moor on Sunday. What a scorcher O0

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3160 on: 18:29:41, 27/09/20 »
I walked today over the South Downs from Upper Beeding to Shoreham, taking in Windmill Hill, Beeding Hill, Mill Hill and a stretch of the river Adur.  I had a panoramic view over the Adur Valley from my lunch spot on Mill Hill.  Very windy and mainly overcast but at least it didn't rain   :)

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3161 on: 20:42:42, 27/09/20 »
What a fantastic end to September, perfect cool clear sunny weather. Fun climbing at Dewerstone on Saturday. Then out on Bodmin moor with MrsG today. We enjoyed a cuppa at a sheltered spot, down from the summit of Sharp tor. Sat for almost two hours late in the afternoon just basking in the warm sunlight.  So clear we could see both coasts easily.  8) O0

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3162 on: 21:29:44, 27/09/20 »
Spent a lovely day walking through part of the Brecon Beacons . Superb views with a clear sky . A tad windy , but I think we picked the best of the area and stayed away from Pen Y Fan & Crybin etc , but instead walked up and over Fan Y Big and Torpantau . There was still a number of walkers and cyclists around but no where near as many compared to Pen Y Fan from what I could see using my binoculars with walkers looking like dozens of ants walking along the far Craig Cwm Sere... :)

http://www.walkingforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=13385.msg593550;topicseen#msg593550

A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3163 on: 10:39:44, 04/10/20 »
I am afraid there will be no walk this weekend due to the weather. We have just experienced a typical October’s rainfall in the last 24 hours, so the ground will be horrendous underfoot. Nearby Aboyne was reported to have had 99mm of rainfall early this morning and it was still raining, while Aberdeen had 93mm. Many of the smaller (and some larger) roads have some degree of flooding. Our storm drains couldn’t cope with the water and the drive was flooded and the path to the front door was under several inches of water. Fortunately, I have a pump that I bought a few years ago in a similar period of bad weather and have managed to prevent any ingress to the garage or house. The rain has now largely subsided and there is even some blue in the sky.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3164 on: 20:12:06, 04/10/20 »
Pleasant and remarkably dry day walking on Bodmin moor Saturday. 

The weather made up for it today. An absolute howler out on Dartmoor. Only 9.6 miles, but good quality with over 900m of ascent.  That weather though.  I don't think I have ever been that wet through, since I stopped surfing.  I barley opened my ruck sack but even with the storm cover on right from the off everything inside it was wet when I finished and the wind was doing it's very best to blow my 15 stone lump clean off the moor. I'm not sure what the met office had it at but it must have been 55-60mph to blow me around like it was. 

A shock to the system, after the sun and rock climbing of the past month.  I absolutely loved it.  O0
« Last Edit: 20:30:44, 04/10/20 by BuzyG »

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy