Author Topic: Walk across the Toon Moor  (Read 762 times)

Dodgylegs

• Veteran Member
Walk across the Toon Moor
« on: 12:30:29, 04/02/21 »
Hospital appointment in Newcastle, never been this far in the car for ages, quite entertaining with all the rain and standing water! Have only been to this hospital a couple of times and discovered a free on street place to park, just have to walk about a mile across the Town Moor. What a walk! The water was pouring across the Moor flooding the footpath, like a fast flowing river in places! Arrived dripping wet.
Decided to give the Town Moor a miss on way back and walk around the outside, into unknown territory.
First challenge was at the end of the underpass from Exhibition Park, only about two feet of water!
Rain still falling but an enjoyable walk through Jesmond (there are loads of allotments, sodden sports fields and some reet canny hooses) with some assistance from local dog walkers arrived back at the car feeling refreshed!
Roads on way back were worse in the late gloomy afternoon ... so many black/grey cars driving along without lights!
« Last Edit: 14:51:52, 04/02/21 by Dodgylegs »

jimbob

• Veteran Member
Re: Walk across the Toon Moor
« Reply #1 on: 12:38:02, 04/02/21 »
Aye its muckle ahfill when it's plashin doon sae hard it's no fit for djoogals or chavas.
Hope the hospital thing went well for you.
Two Christmas ago had to take Mrs Jimbob into the RVI for emergency dental work, the car park charges were ridiculously high. So a bit of dampness was probably worth it.
Too little, too late, too bad......

Dodgylegs

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 14:45:03, 04/02/21 »
Aye its muckle ahfill when it's plashin doon sae hard it's no fit for djoogals or chavas.
Hope the hospital thing went well for you.
Two Christmas ago had to take Mrs Jimbob into the RVI for emergency dental work, the car park charges were ridiculously high. So a bit of dampness was probably worth it.
It's not very encouraging when the postman drops a letter through box from funeral service... tailor-made funeral plans!

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 15:21:03, 04/02/21 »
Oh dear.

The medics at the RVI didn't send them your details did they?  ;D ;D

Dodgylegs

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 15:32:05, 04/02/21 »
They've got to know the outcome before me!  :D

Skip

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 18:13:38, 04/02/21 »

Let me hazard a guess. Those two words sound like Traveller dialect so Djoogal is a dog, chavas are children?   :)
Skip

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 18:41:07, 04/02/21 »
Let me hazard a guess. Those two words sound like Traveller dialect so Djoogal is a dog, chavas are children?   :)
Alnwick dialect. Also Pitmatic, certainly in Pegswood.

Skip

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 19:02:40, 04/02/21 »
So what are djoogals and chavas?
Skip

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 19:06:31, 04/02/21 »
So what are djoogals and chavas?
You were spot on. Djoogals are dogs (In Ashington   dergs)
And chavas are boys.
When I was little all the gadgies and morties didn't want us to speak like them, they frowned on the use of dialect. As with the rest of the country and their lost dialects I think it has left us a bit poorer culturally.

Skip

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 19:25:16, 04/02/21 »
There are a surprising number of Traveller and Romany dialect words in common use - among the most frequent are cushy, mush, chor, wonga and togs.
Skip

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 19:47:53, 04/02/21 »
I know cushy, mush and chor, in use in my childhood. I know of the other two from living in London for a while.

Funnily these words may also be traveller words but in another sense they may be words that travellers picked up as they followed the harvests and seasonal work up and down the country.

However its poor Dodgylegs we really need to be concerned about.  A damp walk across the hoppins Moor followed by a less than uplifting offer in the post.

Hopefully tomorrow he'll be back in form slipping and sliding around County Durham .

snoopdawg

« Reply #11 on: 20:55:23, 04/02/21 »
In my dialect CHAVS, if its the same term, are usually the tracksuit wearing ( double bottoms) young males hanging around. If its the same term a possible origin I was reliably informed Council House And Violent!

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 22:16:18, 04/02/21 »
In my dialect CHAVS, if its the same term, are usually the tracksuit wearing ( double bottoms) young males hanging around. If its the same term a possible origin I was reliably informed Council House And Violent!
Were there tracksuits in, and long before the 50s.? Most boys wore short trousers till they were 13. Knees were easier to wash.
A chava was always just a boy, maybes a boisterous boy, but just a boy. It has, as English does, evolved. It seems it is now a derogatory word, laden with social prejudice.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy