Author Topic: Recommendations for easy Wainwright’s following knee replacement  (Read 582 times)

caro h

Hi all,
I’ve recently had a knee replacement (6 weeks ago) and am already thinking about when I can get back up to the Lakes and continue my Wainwrights quest! I’d like to give something a go in a month or two.  I’m going to be really limited as I’ll have to go easy on the knee so any scrambling is out. 😩 I’ve done a lot of the medium and high fells and I’m looking for recommendations for the easier Wainwrights. I have already done some of those (Binsey / Latrigg / Walla Crag / Brund Fell / Lord’s Seat / High Rigg / all the lower ones round Grasmere such as Helm Crag etc/ Loughrigg / Gowbarrow Fell). I’d like some suggestions for Wainwrights with fairly easy slopes, rather than just low height (I’d not stand a chance on the likes of Barf, Haystacks or even Catbells at the moment for example).
Anyone got any experience of post knee replacement walking in the lakes and can make any suggestions? Of course, I could stick to lake circuits and valleys but would like to try and get another couple of Wainwrights in the bag if I can. Thanks!

photonut

You could try Longlands, Brae, Great Sca and Knott up in the North west as these are easy going.  Probably best to give Meal fell and its neighbour a miss as they are steep.

Sale and Ling Fell aren't too bad provided you take the long paths up them.  To be honest if I were you I'd stay to the level walks and get your knee muscles built up again before you go onto the Fells.  No point in causing yourself any damage in a rush to walk a few Wainwrights.

HTH

Cheers
Lee

caro h

Thanks. Thinking you’re right. I have been out with my trekking poles in the fields and woods near home over the past two days and my muscles are killing me. It’s amazing how quickly muscle depletes. I’ll get back to it eventually and the fells aren’t going anywhere I suppose.  :)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy