Author Topic: What's Your Latest Walking Kit Purchase?  (Read 290729 times)

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Re: What's Your Latest Walking Kit Purchase?
« Reply #585 on: 22:58:52, 07/12/18 »
Bought a silicone toothbrush head cover to replace a toothbrush case, with a view to shaving a few more grams off the pack weight. Do I get the prize for the cheapest item on here??
Hope you have cut half the handle off your brush to save weight too.  Can't you buy a folding brush so the handle protects the head?  https://www.mountainwarehouse.com/travel/accessories/wash-gear/foldable-toothbrush-p11966.aspx/
Solvitur Ambulando

AFANASIEW

« Reply #586 on: 23:06:44, 07/12/18 »
Hope you have cut half the handle off your brush to save weight too.  Can't you buy a folding brush so the handle protects the head?
If you cut half the handle off the folding brush.... nuff said.  ;)
It's simple - one foot in front of the other.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #587 on: 23:14:09, 07/12/18 »
If you cut half the handle off the folding brush.... nuff said.  ;)
  I was thinking either or  ::)
Solvitur Ambulando

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #588 on: 09:00:37, 08/12/18 »
I haven't bought it but I noticed in Decathlon yesterday some kind of plastic 'snow clogs' (about £8) which click over walking boots to help when walking on ice and snow. I have no idea if they are any good but someone might like to give them the once over?

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #589 on: 10:50:16, 08/12/18 »
I haven't bought it but I noticed in Decathlon yesterday some kind of plastic 'snow clogs' (about £8) which click over walking boots to help when walking on ice and snow. I have no idea if they are any good but someone might like to give them the once over?
I tried to find them on the website and failed. I had something similar to what you described to go on ski boots. They didn’t work well as they tended to stretch under load and you walked out of them. Without a link I couldn’t say if these would have the same problem.
Solvitur Ambulando

the aged plodder

« Reply #590 on: 14:57:28, 08/12/18 »
Today I did buy an Osprey Daylite 13l day pack to replace my old Berghaus pack which is a bit big and heavy, and looking decidedly tatty.
Also, a Leki trekking pole; decided to give it a shot again, as my knee isn't getting any better.
And, replaced a couple of my OS maps of the Lake District, as the old ones are getting a bit faded around the creases.
After four days of walking (Exmoor) last month I found out why some walkers use two poles where none is sufficient. I have a bad knee too and it protests as the miles add up, so my single emergency pole came out of my backpack. After more miles I realized that to fully support that knee it needs assistance on each stride. That is, when the pole in my left hand is now at the rear of it's stroke. At that point a second pole in the other hand was needed for the next stride.That wasn't very clear! Try walking at a reasonable clip and you see what I mean.Actually - both knees have torn cartilages and the other seems to be becoming jealous of the attention t'other is  getting. So it might be two poles for me soon.
There are great things to do and fine sights to be seen
Before we go to Paradise by way of Kensal Green.

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #591 on: 15:12:43, 08/12/18 »
Actually - both knees have torn cartilages and the other seems to be becoming jealous...…………………..

Is, by any chance, your name Jake ?
Did you used to work with Rolf Harris ?

Sonatine

« Reply #592 on: 18:25:23, 08/12/18 »
Postie brought me some wax for boots, and a Trangia 27 with HA pots. I couldn't resist. Fortunately I managed to divert the delivery into my backpacking supplies before anyone realised. I have too many stoves...  ::)

peapod21

• Veteran Member
« Reply #593 on: 18:38:06, 13/12/18 »
Bought a Garmin Instinct after my Forerunner 305 started giving up the battery after 10 years  ;D
You have one life, make the most of it.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #594 on: 21:13:19, 16/12/18 »
Bought a new pair of clear safety glasses from Screwfix yesterday.  Came in handy in today's hail.

Also bought a 65ltr Berghaus rucksack for my son's trip to New Zeeland.

happyhiker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #595 on: 23:11:00, 16/12/18 »
Had a mad spend a couple of weeks ago when in Ambleside onthe basis that with so many walking shops, competition would keep the price down!

1) some Mountain Equipment gaiters. Three outings so far and they seem fine.
2) a North Face fleece, bought specifically because it has a "wrong way round" zip so it will zip into my Marmot shell.
4) a RAB mid layer, which will probably be my outer layer a lot of the time as I run so hot.

By next winter, will need some more leather boots. I have been a Scarpa person but the ones I have wore through the inner lining in no time. I complained to Scarpa and they glued some thin leather inside, since when they have been fine, although I was disappointed that such quality boots had that problem. Funnily enough, my wife had a similar problem with some cheaper boots but which looked to have the same type of lining. Not sure how wide spread a problem this is. I never had problems before.

zuludog

« Reply #596 on: 14:00:13, 17/12/18 »
I got a flyer from Go Outdoors a couple of days ago, saying they have more reductions on their sale items; presumably they want to get rid of ends of ranges. I got -

2 fleece jackets and 2 waterproof jackets for my grandsons, all £ 10 each

A pair of Merrell MQM trail shoes for myself, £45, to add to the Merrell MOAB Ventilators that I have already. I have noticed that some brands of trail shoes tend to be narrow at the toe, presumably in keeping with their fast & light & agile image, but Merrells are a bit wider and suit me very well
They are orange in colour - officially 'antique gold' - but I'm sure they will tone down in use

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #597 on: 14:34:47, 17/12/18 »
Merino baselayer from Decathlon sale. £11.99 arrived today looks well made. Now I have enough merino baselayers to last me for many years. (Just watch LIdl putting them on sale next week ;D ;D )

Too little, too late, too bad......

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #598 on: 23:41:14, 17/12/18 »
Had a couple of Karrimoor sit mats through the door today.  They will come in handy for coast path walks with MrsG and our daughter, when the weather pics up.  For £1.99. You can't really go wrong.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #599 on: 09:14:30, 18/12/18 »
Couple of dry bags from Trespass reduced to half price

https://www.trespass.com/euphoria-2-pack-dry-bags
Where there's a will ...

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy