Author Topic: Where are you good people walking DURING the week?  (Read 275000 times)

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
Re: Where are you good people walking DURING the week?
« Reply #660 on: 18:52:08, 06/11/18 »
Our group has a double birthday celebration walk tomorrow, so there'll be cake, nibbles and maybe the popping of a champagne cork at some point. :D
We're starting in Castleton, as it's a fairly central location for group members to get to. We'll be doing the 'classic' route over Mam Tor, the Great Ridge & Lose Hill, then returning from Hope via the riverside path.
Weather doesn't look too great but there's always a cave or two to take shelter in!

***Happiness is only a smile away***

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #661 on: 20:24:36, 06/11/18 »
Our group has a double birthday celebration walk tomorrow, so there'll be cake, nibbles and maybe the popping of a champagne cork at some point. :D
We're starting in Castleton, as it's a fairly central location for group members to get to. We'll be doing the 'classic' route over Mam Tor, the Great Ridge & Lose Hill, then returning from Hope via the riverside path.
Weather doesn't look too great but there's always a cave or two to take shelter in!

Sounds like fun. Though we have thunder and lightning forcast hear, so I will be avoidng caves. ;)

Rather be walking

« Reply #662 on: 12:29:50, 07/11/18 »
Tomorrow walk up on the Southdowns, starting from South Harting to Hooksway for lunch (Royal Oak) and then back via Beacon Hill. Going to be a sunny day. :)

Jon.
““The hardest part was coming to terms with the constant dispiriting discovery that there is always more hill.”
― Bill Bryson, A Walk in the Woods

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #663 on: 09:27:57, 09/11/18 »

Sounds like fun. Though we have thunder and lightning forcast hear, so I will be avoidng caves. ;)

Crap photo, rain on my lens...but here's some of the group sheltering from the rain in the cave at Windy Knoll! :D ...

***Happiness is only a smile away***

rambling oldie

« Reply #664 on: 18:40:59, 10/11/18 »
Today my son and I took part in the Watercress Line (Hants) Walk the Line.  10 miles along the railway track from Alton to Alresford.  About 450 people started from Alton and numerous others from Medstead and Four Marks and Ropley.
Absolutely wonderful autumn colours, some grotty weather and some sun.  It's surprising how so many walkers spread out and the countryside along the old branch line becomes very peaceful.
Free tea and coffee at the two intermediate stations,  yummy bacon or sausage baps at Alresford station buffet, Itchen Valley ales and a free vintage bus ride back.

It doesn't really get much better!

jontea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #665 on: 07:45:16, 15/11/18 »
Most of my walking tends to be at weekends, but I have the opportunity to stay in a cottage in Ambleside Sunday night and with Monday booked off work I’m  heading into the Langdale valley before dawn for an epic mountain day fingers crossed. O0
Walking is the world’s oldest exercise and today’s modern medicine.

https://www.johntrowsdaleart.com/

Instagram  jontea62

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #666 on: 18:59:27, 15/11/18 »
Ive just returned from a very unseasonably warm Cwm Llafar Horseshoe, this afternoon.
As the long term forecast for the rest of November is for some very cold weather, i thought why not take advantage of 18C and lovely sunshine.
Hardly a soul out in the hills, i only saw five other walkers, and the ground was surprisingly firm, indicating that the past wet weather has yet to make an impact on the very hot summer.

Only my second Cwm Llafar, and what a great walk it is.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #667 on: 19:15:04, 15/11/18 »
The last 2 days we took our daughter-in-law designate for a walk over Dunkery Beacon on Exmoor and a walk along the SWCP from Hartland Point before her return to New Zealand next week.  A walk of mixed emotions as while we enjoyed showing her the delights of walking in this part of the world, she is off back to NZ next week and taking our son with her.  Still on the positive side - it means we get a trip out for the wedding next year.  I am going to take my boots - seems a shame to waste a trip. One thing I discovered - while they do have walking trails in NZ, they don't do public footpaths like we do.  She was quite bemused by our little coloured arrows denoting footpaths and bridleways.  In NZ it seems, private property is just that.
Solvitur Ambulando

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #668 on: 19:39:22, 15/11/18 »
Friends of ours, emigrated to Palmerston North, over fifty years ago, and shamefully we have not visited them.
Its not that i dislike flying, but on a flight to Malta some years ago, we had some particularly savage turbulence, that even frightened some of the experienced cabin staff.
Ive only flown once after the event, i prefer my feet on the ground, even though they say flying is amongst the safest modes of transport.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #669 on: 19:48:20, 15/11/18 »
It's reached that time of year where the only mid-week walks I can do are pavement pounding round the block on a night, in the dark, after work.  Green space opportunities for lunchtime walks are a bit limited (or dangerous!)  :(

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #670 on: 19:24:59, 07/12/18 »
We went to Corkscrew Swamp Sanctuary on Thursday. It was only a short walk, but felt longer due to the heat and humidity.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #671 on: 19:51:38, 11/12/18 »
OMG! Bigfoot Mike... whereabouts is Corkscrew Swamp Sanctuary?  Love the name   :D  and it might have to be included in one of my County Bagging walks  :)

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #672 on: 19:57:13, 11/12/18 »
Had a lovely lunchtime walk around a work colleague's fishing lake today in lovely sunshine with a damp nip in the air. 

A little patch of loveliness in a heavily industrialised area  :)

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #673 on: 20:00:15, 11/12/18 »
OMG! Bigfoot Mike... whereabouts is Corkscrew Swamp Sanctuary?  Love the name   :D  and it might have to be included in one of my County Bagging walks  :)

I think it's in Florida. Are you starting a State Bagging walk list too? Lol
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #674 on: 20:04:00, 11/12/18 »
Oh no! Worrabugga  :(

... though I have "bagged" 8 US States already  :coolsmiley:

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy