Author Topic: Snowdon December or February  (Read 2841 times)

nick_

Snowdon December or February
« on: 15:05:53, 03/12/18 »
Hi all,

I am planning to walk to Snowdon when it will have some snow there.
I am considering going up there via Mine’s route as I have read that it is the easiest during winter.
However, my wife does not let me to go on my own (I know, I know).
Thus, I would like to ask you whether you would like to join me. 

Target: Snowdon (white top).
Date: no exact date, probably based on the forecast (but ideally December, February or maybe March).
Time: open to suggestions. I am thinking an hour before sunrise in order not to rush and make many photos/videos.

Thank you in advance for your responses!

Looking for buddies to go walking (day trips / 2-day trips with tents). South East of England: Areas like Kent, Surrey and Sussex.

Davidedgarjones

Re: Snowdon December or February
« Reply #1 on: 16:21:04, 03/12/18 »
Just in case you don't already know this, Snowdon in winter requires crampons and ice axe and the skills to go with them. The Miner's track towards the top where it joins the Pyg track can be treacherous.
Dave

nick_

« Reply #2 on: 16:28:35, 03/12/18 »
Just in case you don't already know this, Snowdon in winter requires crampons and ice axe and the skills to go with them. The Miner's track towards the top where it joins the Pyg track can be treacherous.
Dave

Thank you Dave for your reply!

Yes, I am aware and have these items.
I am not claiming to be an expert, but I know how to use them.

Looking for buddies to go walking (day trips / 2-day trips with tents). South East of England: Areas like Kent, Surrey and Sussex.

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 18:47:10, 03/12/18 »
Depending on the snow conditions, i would stay clear of the Northern side of the mountain, as the Miners, PYG and llanberis paths, are very susceptible to ice.
By far the safest route in the full throws of winter, is the Snowdon Ranger path near Bettws Garmon.
The path has very few locations that allow a build up of snow, as virtually the entire path is exposed to the prevailing wind that blows most of the snow away, so its possibly the safest route in winter..

Even after the lengthy repairs made years ago, the Zig Zags where both Miners and PYG tracks meet, is still a massive hazard for the build up of ice.
Also, the steep path above Clogwyn Station adjacent to Clogwyn Du Arddu, is notorious for ice during hard winters, and has claimed many a life.

If you must climb Snowdon in the white stuff, then the Snowdon Ranger offers possibly the safest route, but it all depends on the conditions and strength of the wind.
« Last Edit: 18:52:25, 03/12/18 by Dyffryn Ardudwy »

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 21:02:10, 05/12/18 »

I would agree with Dyffryn - if in doubt, stick to the southern side: either the Snowdon Ranger or the Rhyd Ddu path.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

nick_

« Reply #5 on: 09:40:33, 06/12/18 »
o, wow!
I did not expect any advice from my post! 

I thank all of you!
I have this 3D map of snowdon. so, i am going to study suggested paths!

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 10:47:28, 06/12/18 »
A word of warning about the Rhyd Ddu route - the ridge can become very heavily snowed up, so that the path disappears entirely and the natural route is therefore along the ridge itself, which has quite a feeling of exposure.  I was up there a couple of years ago in thick but degrading snow and trod a very very careful path to get to the top.  I descended by the Ranger Path - much easier.

redeye

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 20:13:13, 06/12/18 »
Video of the Rhyd ddu/South ridge route i did last December in the snow  O0
https://youtu.be/iAMb8Z0sJKg

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy