Author Topic: Gradbach to Three shire bridge  (Read 1535 times)

Zizag

• Veteran Member
Gradbach to Three shire bridge
« on: 16:26:27, 04/12/18 »
Walk started at public car park near Manor farm followed signs North on DVW  .
Dane Valley Way . 
Had to go through muddy fields uphill past cows to busy grazing to bother me then came down the valley to a bridge over river Dane ,followed the way marker up a steep hilly rutted track with running water  to join a bridle path .
Got to Panniers Pool  and stopped sat  and take in the scenery and enjoy the lovely surroundings .
At Three Shire bridge crossed the river again ,turned South ,
as the DVW goes further on all the Way To Buxton .
Headed up rough track to Cut-thorn hill
 onto tarmac lane looking down to the  river Dane meandering away in the Valley below ,
then past  Far-Hole edge to come off and join a path to Lower Bangs and onto cross farmland ,back to start point

adalard

• Veteran Member
Re: Gradbach to Three shire bridge
« Reply #1 on: 10:58:36, 05/12/18 »
Sounds like a good walk. Done a few walks around there too, if not that exact route, and mud seems to be a permanent fixture in that area whatever time of year!

Following the DVW north from Three Shire Heads, it's always particularly bad in the fields below Holt - last time we were there we saw a poor woman knee-deep in mud, both legs, being pulled out of it by her companions. Took us a long time to get across ourselves and we were lucky the party ahead of us had given us some indication of which ways not to go!  ;D

Petrolhead

« Reply #2 on: 14:05:43, 05/12/18 »
We just did this walk on Saturday.

VERY muddy. VERY misty. Absolutely fantastic day out with simply stunning beauty to see. Everyone should do this!

One of the photos I took while there:

adalard

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 16:41:14, 05/12/18 »
VERY muddy. VERY misty. Absolutely fantastic day out with simply stunning beauty to see. Everyone should do this!

Great photo!  O0 O0

I agree, it's a superb location for a walk.

Petrolhead

« Reply #4 on: 16:57:36, 05/12/18 »

Great photo!  O0 O0

I agree, it's a superb location for a walk.

Thanks very much Adalard. It's one of my favourite walks in all of the UK but I have a bit of bias as I just really love the Peak District. I grew up just 10 miles from here as the crow flies.

:)

Zizag

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 18:58:06, 05/12/18 »
Well adalard and Petrolhead .
It looks like we all have an affinity for The Peak District and around the DVW  great place for walks ,It leaves you feeling satisfied and happy to go back time after time ,as Its so appealing .
In June in hot Scorchio weather I walked the DVW from Buxton to Gradbach  No mud dry dusty on every part of track /trail .

Was trying and hopeing to blag a tent pitch at the Scout camp .
But came across Gradbach Mill hotel .
As I had a long day slightly knackered plus my feet were badly blistered .
Decided to book a room for the night .
It was quite pricey ,but we'll accepted .

Zizag

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 19:31:06, 05/12/18 »
Petrolhead.
That's a great picture postcard ,So lifelike the colours stand out .
It's a lovely place to stop and rest and take it all in .

Petrolhead

« Reply #7 on: 10:03:41, 07/12/18 »
Petrolhead.
That's a great picture postcard ,So lifelike the colours stand out .
It's a lovely place to stop and rest and take it all in .

Thanks very much mate. It's an absolutely glorious spot. Mother nature really excelled herself with that one and we did pretty well with the addition of the bridges. It was a perfect time of year to visit too. Full of Autumnal colour but absolutely no one around. Magical.

And yes, I honestly think the Peak District is one of the UK's greatest gems. Wonderfully diverse and pretty. People (quite understandably) go mad for the Lakes but for sheer beauty, the Peak District is every bit as good to my eyes. Why oh why did I move down to London? :)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy