Author Topic: An unholy smell!  (Read 864 times)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
An unholy smell!
« on: 20:42:45, 04/12/18 »
I walked in high winds and lots of rain on November 11th and my boots leaked. I wasn't able to sort my car out until a week later. I began to notice a sweet sickly smell that just wouldn't go away, a bit like having a dead rat in the car!

I sorted my car out and put everything away in its right place, in the garage and in the wardrobe. Over the next few days the smell persisted.

I decided to really have a detailed look and then realised it was coming from my Sorbothane boot inserts. Although I had taken everything else out, including my boots, I had taken the Sorbothanes out to dry them and had left them in the car. I put them to my nose and went Ughhh!

I took them out of my car and just left them on top of our wheelie bin to air! Problem solved! My car smells normal again!

the aged plodder

Re: An unholy smell!
« Reply #1 on: 17:03:06, 07/12/18 »
Ever been gorge walking? or just walked in rivers? Trainers never lose that rather particular smell. You'd soon notice if you left those in your car! Doesn't help that you'd naturally have chosen an old well-used pair of trainers in the first place.
There are great things to do and fine sights to be seen
Before we go to Paradise by way of Kensal Green.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 22:30:48, 07/12/18 »
Worst for smell is festerous gear used for potholing. :P
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 09:07:11, 08/12/18 »
Since writing my entry the smell has persisted but more from one Sorbothane than the other. I decided to wash and scrub them in warm water and soap but oddly the smell is still there but has faded. I wonder if there is any possibility that the smell is to do with the chemical composition of the product breaking down? When I look closely at them they look and feel very normal.  I have a second pair of Sorbothanes and they do not smell. I'll give it a couple of days, if they continue to smell I expect I'll throw them in the dustbin.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 10:51:45, 08/12/18 »
Rinse them in dilute bleach.
Solvitur Ambulando

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy