Author Topic: Pleased To Stumble On The Forum, Though One Disappointment  (Read 2504 times)

woodface

I'm an occasional UK hill walker, currently helping a 'senior citizen' find some travel insurance. Eye-watering quotes (single trip or annual cover) for an New Zealand high altitude walking tour (over 5000m) led me to google 'UK walking forums', which brought me here.

I was pleased and surprised to find such a busy site that I'd never heard of. Members seem helpful and well informed.

The one downer was the rule on posting to the International section. I don't want to rush 25 poor quality posts to qualify to post there, so I'll be forced to find another forum to learn what insurers UK walkers use for their cover on mountain walks abroad. Unless some kind soul wants to post it there for me?

I'm sure I'll return in future, when researching UK trips, so au revoir ...

sussamb

• Veteran Member
Nothing stops you asking that question elsewhere on the forum ...
Where there's a will ...

ninthace

• Veteran Member
We are hiking in New Zealand next year and will be doing some mountain walking as part of the trip including a few volcanoes  We are both OAPs, both with pre-existing medical conditions.  We are insured with Insure & Go.  They have covered us for ski trips in the past too.  It wasn't eye wateringly expensive.

Perhaps the problem is that your "senior citizen" will be walking in mid air.  The highest peak on NZ is a bit over 3700m.

Most travel insurance companies will cover hiking as opposed to mountain climbing within the policy without an added premium.
Solvitur Ambulando

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
Welcome, simple way to build posts, just acknowledge those who post replies. Sometimes it is just done with the thumbs up emoji.
I sometimes wish that  they would add another one with thumbs down for those, who join just to make a single point then don't even recognise that some here have taken the time to provide info to their query.
Have you tried the British Mountaineering Council for insurance.
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

Mel

• Veteran Member
The one downer was the rule on posting to the International section. I don't want to rush 25 poor quality posts to qualify to post there, so I'll be forced to find another forum to learn what insurers UK walkers use for their cover on mountain walks abroad. Unless some kind soul wants to post it there for me?

If you've perused this wonderful forum you'll have seen how many poor quality posts there are amongst the "useful" stuff  ;)

Just post your question in the general discussion board!

I'm sure I'll return in future, when researching UK trips, so au revoir ...

Ohh? Bye then  :-\

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Shame he/she didn’t hang around for my answer
Solvitur Ambulando

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Can't help you with insurance but welcome to the forum, woodface.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
Everyone is in such a rush these days.
Not sure why you would make an oblique statement/question and then dash off before waiting for replies.

Have you tried the British Mountaineering Council for insurance.

+ 1   O0   and usually not expensive.
Only a hill but all of life to me, up there between the sunset and the sea. 
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
Perhaps the problem is that your "senior citizen" will be walking in mid air.  The highest peak on NZ is a bit over 3700m.
Your comment made me think of the Monty Python sketch where the character played by John Cleese was planning an expedition to climb the twin peaks of Kilimanjaro and search for the remains of the previous expedition, led by his brother, that aimed to build a bridge between the peaks.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
Shame he/she didn’t hang around for my answer
We still got to enjoy it though. Who needs Aled Jones.  ;)

Mel

• Veteran Member
I'm still trying to work out why owld woodenchops would google "UK walking forums" if he was looking for info on insurance for walks in New Zealand  :-\

ninthace

• Veteran Member
I'm still trying to work out why owld woodenchops would google "UK walking forums" if he was looking for info on insurance for walks in New Zealand  :-\
I just googled travel insurance New Zealand but then I have no imagination as Mrs N tells me. Most insurance companies do not regard walking on trails a hazardous activity but it is easy to check the small print. The bigger struggle for we mature folk is age and extant maladies.
Solvitur Ambulando

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
There seems to be a higher than normal series of single (useless) posts appearing recently. I wonder if this is a new approach by the "Kits" trojans  :D 
Only a hill but all of life to me, up there between the sunset and the sea. 
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

woodface

Thanks to all who replied. Sorry I didn't. I didn't know anyone had responded as Yahoo (unusually) hid the one notification in its online spam filter, so it didn't reach mine.

Re NZ peakiness :-)  Yes, she had confused it with the highpoint of the other trip she is planning - to Nepal. 

@ninthace We found the Insure & Go cover thanks. It was indeed good value, and high altitude walkers finding this thread will be pleased to hear it covers guided treks up to 6000m.
They may be even happier to find the basic Aviva travel policies cover you up to 5000m, often for a good bit less. Especially for holders of their home and motor policies who get a further nice discount.   

Leisure Guard have good prices for older travellers but exclude cover for all activities - including hiking - 'if it is the main purpose of your trip' (!) I wonder how many walkers buy their policies and don't know they have no insurance.
« Last Edit: 14:56:11, 01/01/19 by woodface »

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Welcome back.  Leisure Guard have a Defaqto rating of 4 stars.  InsureandGo are 5 star rated hence the price difference.  Check the review of Leisure Guard on Trust Pilot and MSE.  I did look at Aviva but did not take it - can't remember why now though.  Might have been the medical excess loading as I am ex big C and Mrs N has a pre big C condition and sundry other things that need to be declared.
Solvitur Ambulando

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy