Author Topic: New Boots  (Read 2664 times)

sswindells

New Boots
« on: 08:10:57, 09/12/18 »

Hi , looking at getting a new pair of  boots and have been looking at the Altberg tethera are these any good ?? , Or recommendation's on brands ( price is not an issue ) .. thanks Steve  O0
« Last Edit: 08:22:06, 09/12/18 by sswindells »

geordie33

• Veteran Member
Re: New Boots
« Reply #1 on: 08:43:37, 09/12/18 »
Alr berg boots are very high quality.The issue is wether you like a particular style.A couple of friends have Tetherers and 1 loves them whilst the other does not like the high ankle fit.I have Fremingtons which fit lower on the ankle which I prefer.
Check out Zamberlans as well.Brilliant quality hard wearing and comfortable.

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 10:12:27, 09/12/18 »
Assuming the Altberg Tethera fits and suits your foot shape and volume it is an excellent choice and you will not be disappointed but depending on the type of walking you do most there are other choices also worth considering.

2-3 Season Boots
Altberg Fremington Men's 1412g RRP £179.99 (standard last with 5 width fittings) https://www.altberg.co.uk/product/the-fremington-mens-boot-mto/
Altberg Malham Men's 1344g RRP £184.99 (A-Forme last with 1 medium width fitting) https://www.altberg.co.uk/product/the-malham-mens-boot-mto/
Altberg Keld Unisex 1428g RRP £189.99 (G-Fit last with 1 wide width high volume fitting) https://www.altberg.co.uk/product/keld-boot-factory-stock/

3 Season Boots
Altberg Tethera Men's 1472g RRP £214.99 (standard last with 5 width fittings) https://www.altberg.co.uk/product/the-tethera-mens-boot-mto/
Altberg Nordkapp Unisex 1460g RRP £219.99 (A-Forme last with 1 medium width fitting) https://www.altberg.co.uk/product/factory-stock-nordkapp/
Altberg Kisdon Unisex 1622g RRP £219.99 (G-Fit last with 1 wide width high volume fitting) https://www.altberg.co.uk/product/kisdon-boot-factory-stock/

If the model of a boot made on the standard last doesn't quite fit or suit your particular foot shape and volume it's a fairly safe be that a boot made on either the A-Forme or G-Fit last will. All Altberg boots can be resoled if and when the need arises.

It's crucial that you get properly measured before you buy.
You can find your nearest stockist here https://www.altberg.co.uk/stockists/ The ones to look for are the Premier Retailers with the red flags on the map who tend to carry a wider range of stock. Wherever you choose to go make sure you phone before you go so you don't waste time and money travelling to look at something that's not in stock.

Of the booots listed my personal choice for all round use would be the Altberg Tethera which can easily cope with all the weather conditions and terrain the UK can throw at you including winter use with flexible crampons.

It depends where you are located in the country but I can personally recommend a visit to Whalley Warm & Dry https://www.whalleyoutdoor.co.uk/boot-fitting-service/  Customers travel from all over the country to use their boot fitting skills and services and they are highly recommended by many other forum members. If you ever get up to the Lake District or Yorkshire Dales they're well worth a visit.

The Scarpa Delta GTX Activ is another full leather 3 season boot which might be worth considering https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/scarpa-delta-gtx-activ-walking-boots-p20555 If they fit and suit your feet get Go Outdoors to price match here https://www.snowandrock.com/p/scarpa-men-s-delta-gore-tex-active-B1122414.html which will reduce the price down to £108.

Maggot

« Reply #3 on: 12:58:09, 09/12/18 »
What do you want them for, where will you be walking, what is your budget, will you be walking in the summer or winter, will you be wearing crampons, are you fat or thin, what will you be carrying, do you like different colours or just brown, do you mind Army surplus, are you vegan?

When you have answered those, then we can all have a big row about what is best and bicker about how to keep them waterproof.

2 key things though..........

1) don't wear gaiters, they make you look a Rambler from the 80s or a cat strangler

2) don't buy any boots that are not branded Scarpa

;D

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 13:24:38, 09/12/18 »
1) don't wear gaiters, they make you look a Rambler from the 80s or a cat strangler
 ;D
Real ramblers wear socks over their trousers, must be red for ramblers in good standing.  Not many cats round where I live........................now.  Mwahahahaha  ;)
Solvitur Ambulando

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 15:37:01, 09/12/18 »
Generally always wear gaiters  O0

Help keep trousers clean and water out of boots among other benefits  ;)
Where there's a will ...

sswindells

« Reply #6 on: 16:13:58, 09/12/18 »
 :D :D :D thanks for the advice  O0

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 17:35:57, 09/12/18 »
Real ramblers wear socks over their trousers, must be red for ramblers in good standing.  Not many cats round where I live........................now.  Mwahahahaha  ;)

That is probably the only aspect in which I still qualify as a "real rambler", then. (I am more likely nowadays to ascend the "east face of Lock 17 of the Leeds Liverpool canal" than ascend Jacob's Ladder.)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 12:05:52, 10/12/18 »
I wear gaitors, I find them especially useful in the mornings. I always get up around dawn, (can't help it, just made this way) get myself organised and packed, and then stroll off. Most mornings, in my experience, the grass that I may walk through will be wet with dew anyway, let alone rain, so for me at that time in the morning gaitors are a must! Getting damp or wet feet at the start of the hiking day is not for me! At the end maybe, but not at the beginning!

I decided to buy a pair of Lowa Renegades the other day, Decathlon are selling them at a good price so I went to my local shop to buy! Didn't work, none in stock, only order on line. That's no good for me, my feet size are 7 but I always put cushioning inserts in my boots so I need to be sure that the Lowa 7s are the 'same' as my 7 sized feet, or because of the inserts, do I need to buy size 7.5s or 8s? Then there is the other small complication, Lowa make these boots in narrow, medium and wide fits, what width are my feet, if my width for example is what I think is a medium, is my medium the same as the Lowa medium? Also, I need to find out whether Lowa's ladies boots, or their mens boots are the right size for me? I've been caught out by sizing before, and not just in boots either, so I don't want to go through it all again.

I'm going to talk to them today and ask if they will get various boots delivered to the store so that I can choose wisely.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 12:21:37, 10/12/18 »
Best boots are those that are as comfy after 20 miles as they were on mile one. ( Remember feet swell when walking so always get measured in the afternoon after a decent walk.)
Altbergs have a great name but there are plenty of other good boots out there, my main problem with them is that they do proper fitting a long way from where I live. The travel would add a lot to their cost.
I am another  O0 for gaiters, they make sense to those who understand their use. ( Boot, ankle, trouser protection, Lyme disease protection to name a few. Also if not in use a canny wee seat to park the business end of your body on damp ground.
Too little, too late, too bad......

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 21:49:14, 10/12/18 »
Gators are only useful for fresh water. If you are likely to encounter salt water, then you need some crocs.  :)

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 22:04:46, 10/12/18 »
Gators are only useful for fresh water. If you are likely to encounter salt water, then you need some crocs.  :)
them saltwater crocs can be the most dangerous of the lot :D ;D ;D ;D
Too little, too late, too bad......

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 12:54:17, 18/12/18 »
I decided to buy new boots but have decided I must stop looking for now, I've just over-thought it through and its now giving me a headache!

I'm going to review my criteria of what I think I'm looking for and then leave it until the New Year before making my decision. I'm going to have a re-read of all the comments, suggestions and ideas that Forum members offered, hopefully when done my head will clear?

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 18:18:03, 18/12/18 »
Since you've been complaining about boots letting in water and considering randed gaitors etc, I don't know you wouldn't go for a classic full-grain leather, goretex lined boot like Altbergs or Scarps etc. I don't get the appeal of the Renegades to someone who wants their boots to stay waterproof for years. I have them and they're not that sort of boot. They're waterproof whilst the goretex holds but after that, they're not made of the right leather or the right construction for that goal.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 18:27:19, 18/12/18 »
Since you've been complaining about boots letting in water and considering randed gaitors etc, I don't know you wouldn't go for a classic full-grain leather, goretex lined boot like Altbergs or Scarps etc. I don't get the appeal of the Renegades to someone who wants their boots to stay waterproof for years. I have them and they're not that sort of boot. They're waterproof whilst the goretex holds but after that, they're not made of the right leather or the right construction for that goal.
Quite right - just compare the number of seams between the Renegades and the Tetheras.
Solvitur Ambulando

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy