Author Topic: Best 1 person bomb proof tent vote  (Read 18324 times)

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
Re: Best 1 person bomb proof tent vote
« Reply #60 on: 22:13:20, 13/06/18 »
Which tents use rocket science  ;D

"So far, any exploration of the moon has been severely limited by how far astronauts can roam from their lunar lander in a single jaunt. What could really revolutionize this process is the option to remain overnight awayfrom the lunar lander. So the MIT team, led by Samuel Schreiner, built a space-compatible tent. The two-person mobile overnight habitat consists of an inflatable pod; a reflective shield to prevent the sun’s rays from roasting explorers; life support systems on the rover that will supply oxygen, water, and food, maintain the habitat's temperature, scrub out carbon dioxide, and remove excess humidity; and a flexible roll-out solar array to supply the shelter’s power and recharge the rover's batteries. Inflatable pressurized tubes would serve as support ribs for the 425-cubic-foot pill-shaped space."

http://mentalfloss.com/article/65050/space-tent-could-revolutionize-moon-exploration

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #61 on: 22:20:35, 13/06/18 »
Alan, I think this tent may be a bit too heavy for backpacking ;)

Hate will never win

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #62 on: 22:24:28, 13/06/18 »
Alan, I think this tent may be a bit too heavy for backpacking ;)

Don't forget that it will 'weigh less' on the moon - but it does answer the question 'which tents use rocket science' (this one does to get to the camp-site)

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #63 on: 22:28:00, 13/06/18 »
Don't forget that it will 'weigh less' on the moon - but it does answer the question 'which tents use rocket science' (this one does to get to the camp-site)

;D

But will it be bomb proof?  ;)
Hate will never win

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #64 on: 05:54:21, 14/06/18 »
;D

But will it be bomb proof?  ;)
Ask marmotungsten, but don't forget your poles because it might be difficult finding mouldy old sticks on the moon  ;D
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

Requiem

• Veteran Member
« Reply #65 on: 19:32:37, 14/06/18 »
Wild Country Coshee 1 - about 1.5KG, sits v close to the ground so good in windy weather, very waterproof, packs down quite small, very cheap to get hold, goes up all in one in about 5 minutes and only real drawback is that its v low so a struggle to sit up in. Very much sits between a hooped bivvy and a one man tent

Roy
PT Business: poshpollyprints.co.uk
Twitter: @pollardroy
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/roypollard/
Facebook: Roy Pollard

marmottungsten

« Reply #66 on: 10:40:09, 17/06/18 »
Just go for a bivi bag and hide behind a wall to sleep!  They weigh a few ounces and you feel more at one with nature  ;D

They weigh more than a few ounces...They can weigh as much as a two man tent!

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #67 on: 12:24:15, 17/06/18 »
On the face of it a tent and/or a bivi might sound OK, being light or lightish. I think my tent is 'light enough' but when I add my groundsheet, mattress, sleeping bag, the water that I need, the rucksack that I carry and any other stuff I might need for a comfortable night, suddenly the weight rises! I personally find that its the overall weight of all the items needed for a purpose that matters, not one item. I could suggest that my tent is bomproof, it is in a way for me because I'm very careful in how and where I use it. If I wasn't careful then it would not be bombproof, neither I suspect would any other tent?

marmottungsten

« Reply #68 on: 14:07:42, 17/06/18 »
On the face of it a tent and/or a bivi might sound OK, being light or lightish. I think my tent is 'light enough' but when I add my groundsheet, mattress, sleeping bag, the water that I need, the rucksack that I carry and any other stuff I might need for a comfortable night, suddenly the weight rises!

Which is precisely why ultralight camping gear was invented!  You can buy the lightest kit in the world but there are some things you need to carry that are very heavy...Obviously water is one of them...One of the heaviest items you will need to carry in fact, but even here you can minimise how much you need to carry by only carrying a minimal amount with you and then using one of the plethora of different water filters that are now available along with you, so that you can fill up when you need to from natural water sources you find along the way.
Food is another heavy item you need to carry.  Carrying dehydrated foods helps to minimise weight but you can save even more weight by carrying less prepackaged food and eating wild foods you find on your way (edible leaves, fruits and fungi for instance).

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #69 on: 14:57:03, 17/06/18 »

Which is precisely why ultralight camping gear was invented!  You can buy the lightest kit in the world but there are some things you need to carry that are very heavy...Obviously water is one of them...One of the heaviest items you will need to carry in fact, …..

The Army Rumour Service (ARSSE) have picked up on the fact that a US hiking equipment supplier are about to launch de-hydrated water, you simply carry lightweight bottles of Hydrogen and Oxygen, open the valves and mix in the ration of 2:1 and you have reconstituted water.

https://www.[censored].co.uk/community/

You seem to have your 'finger on the pulse' of lightweight gear - have you heard anything about it ?

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #70 on: 16:51:02, 17/06/18 »

Food is another heavy item you need to carry.  Carrying dehydrated foods helps to minimise weight but you can save even more weight by carrying less prepackaged food and eating wild foods you find on your way (edible leaves, fruits and fungi for instance).

Have you ever actually tried this? It's not as easy as it sounds. You might be able to pop the odd berry into your mouth while your walking, in the right season, but beyond that it's not really an option you can rely on.

Technically, all fruits and plants belong to someone, even ones in the hedge rows, so picking them without the landowners permission is strictly speaking theft. 

marmottungsten

« Reply #71 on: 21:51:24, 17/06/18 »

Have you ever actually tried this? It's not as easy as it sounds. You might be able to pop the odd berry into your mouth while your walking, in the right season, but beyond that it's not really an option you can rely on.

Technically, all fruits and plants belong to someone, even ones in the hedge rows, so picking them without the landowners permission is strictly speaking theft.

If you are on a public footpath and you come across some nettles, do you really think anyone cares if you pick them?  If a landowner wanted to stop people taking wild foods on their land, they would fence them off with high barbed wire fences...If they don't then it's because landowners don't give a toss what wild foods you eat along a trail as long as it's not something they eat themselves or something that effects their livelyhood.  How many farmers do you know that pick Haws as a commercial crop?
Perhaps I should mention that water falls from the sky and because of that you may think it is free...but once it gets into a river it belongs to someone too...The local river/waterways authority...Is that going to stop you taking a litre or so of that water from a river to drink via a water filter, or are you going to send a groveling letter to the local waterways authority where you are planning to hike, humbly asking their permission to take a little in advance?  ::)

Wild camping is technically illegal...English law states you need the landowners permission to camp anywhere...Yet loads of people do it and do not get prosecuted, firstly because they don't tell anyone they are going to do it, and secondly because they are packed up and gone in the morning before anyone is the wiser...What a landowner doesn't know, doesn't hurt them!  And that goes for picking wild foods too.
« Last Edit: 22:07:17, 17/06/18 by marmottungsten »

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #72 on: 23:32:32, 17/06/18 »

... meanwhile, back in the real world.....

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #73 on: 00:18:43, 18/06/18 »

... meanwhile, back in the real world.....
O0 O0
Too little, too late, too bad......

Nomad32

« Reply #74 on: 23:29:29, 22/06/18 »
My twopenn'orth is the terra nova laser competition 2. I've put it through it's paces and it's stood strong and true. Love that tent and it weighs less than 1k

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy