Author Topic: Cadair Idris climbing Craig Cau from east  (Read 2623 times)

janco

Cadair Idris climbing Craig Cau from east
« on: 10:16:35, 05/05/19 »
Hello,

first post on the forum - welcome everyone.

During my recent trip to Cadair Idris via Minffordd Path, I saw this path, however it was disappearing in thick fog and as I was first time on this mountain I didnt want to alternative my route. Now I would like to come back and climb it via this path however I cant find any information on the internet about this route ? Do you know the name of path so I could research it ? path is forks right towards Llyn Cau circles lake and goes up - I presume quite steeply. I wanted to attach image from my map however I cannot put links to my posts.

Any help greatly appreciated.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Re: Cadair Idris climbing Craig Cau from east
« Reply #1 on: 12:17:55, 05/05/19 »

Welcome to the forum, janco.

The OS 1:50,000 map shows a track heading up the slopes at the head of Llyn Cau, but it certainly looks steep!
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 12:23:16, 05/05/19 »
Satellite images show a decent enough path along the northern shores of Llyn Cau and then a horribly eroded path up the steep slopes onto the Craig Cau ridge. Best taken in descent, I suspect - or avoided altogether!
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 13:41:28, 05/05/19 »
Welcome, janco!
Both Peter Hermon and John Gillham call the route "The Stone Shoot."

Hermon says it is "undeniably steep" but "it is agreeably firm underfoot."
He continues, "A strong walker should have no problem in taming it in little more than half an hour. It is no place for families or the 'one-weekend-a-year rambler'."

Gillham writes " The final stages are very steep indeed" and like Hermon he refers to "strong walkers." He also adds a note: "this is not recommended as a descent."

So, if your confidence and experience are high, give it a try. If not, leave it well alone.

References:
Gillham, J. A pictorial guide to the mountains of Snowdonia. 4. The southern peaks. 2011, Lincoln.
Hermon, P. Hillwalking in Wales. Vol. 1: Arans - Dovey Hills. Cicerone 1991.

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 19:01:30, 11/05/19 »
Is this another one who's joined to ask a question and not come back? Was my help in vain? :(

janco

« Reply #5 on: 20:18:35, 26/06/19 »
Is this another one who's joined to ask a question and not come back? Was my help in vain? :(

Absolutely not. I am coming back to Wales this weekend and due to fact that you responded to my previous message I decided to get back to Cadair and conquer it through this interesting, uncrowded path.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy