Author Topic: Two Moors Way  (Read 10833 times)

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
Two Moors Way
« on: 18:25:03, 28/03/19 »
So we’ve finally decided that the Two Moors Way will be our LDW this year.  It will either be during the last 2 weeks of June or sometime in May depending on accommodation availability ( as long as we haven’t already left if too late). The new Cicerone guidebook has just arrived.  I know there are a few people on here who live down that way and theres a few posts from people who have walked it, so any tips would be welcome.

Jac

• Veteran Member
Re: Two Moors Way
« Reply #1 on: 23:15:39, 28/03/19 »

Yep, I live 'down that way' but perhaps for that reason I've never actually walked it.
After a great weekend camping at t'other end (Exmoor) it occurred to me that I should. so will watch this thread with interest.

So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 09:05:30, 29/03/19 »
I live within spitting distance of the central section and have walked a fair bit of the Dartmoor, Mid Devon and Exmoor sections.  First tip - https://twomoorsway.org/.  What do you want to know?
Solvitur Ambulando

Mick wmexile

« Reply #3 on: 15:48:22, 29/03/19 »

"So we’ve finally decided that the Two Moors Way will be our LDW this year."

Great minds and all that, that's my pick for this year, 6 days during second week of June. As usual I'll be looking forward to it, got to start some serious fitness training done. Hope you enjoy your selected walk  O0
I never get lost, just don't always know where I am!

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 15:40:38, 02/04/19 »
Mick - didn’t we do the Pennine Way just after you back in 2016?  O0

Jac - isn’t that often the case, you forget what’s in your own backyard.

ninthace - I’m sure we’ll have questions as we get on with our planning.  I’ve looked at the two moors website, looks very useful though some of the B&Bs have closed.  Not having walked on either Dartmoor or Exmoor before, do you know how it compares with moors further north? Such as on the Pennine Way? Does it get as boggy? We ‘ve more or less decided on our stopovers, as long as we can find accommodation:-
Wembury, Ivybridge, Holne or Scorriton, Corndon, Coleford, Black Dog, West Ansty, Simonsbath, Lynmouth. 

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 18:48:27, 02/04/19 »
ninthace - I’m sure we’ll have questions as we get on with our planning.  I’ve looked at the two moors website, looks very useful though some of the B&Bs have closed.  Not having walked on either Dartmoor or Exmoor before, do you know how it compares with moors further north? Such as on the Pennine Way? Does it get as boggy? We ‘ve more or less decided on our stopovers, as long as we can find accommodation:-
Wembury, Ivybridge, Holne or Scorriton, Corndon, Coleford, Black Dog, West Ansty, Simonsbath, Lynmouth.

Don't recall the PW sections I have walked as being especially boggy, more a bit soggy and the worst parts have been more manicured than the TMW. The bogginess of the TMW is very weather related, I have paddled by the Barle and equally I have seen it dusty.  There are soggy bits but nothing to get excited about especially in "summer", you can often detour round them.  The Mid Devon section may introduce you to our brand of mud - it is greasy rather than clingy though.
The way marking is a bit variable but you should have no problem if you are competent with a map or better still a gps,
I have never seen the pub in Black Dog open but I have never passed it in the evening.  There is nowhere else to eat there.  The Thelbridge Inn and the Mitre Inn at Witheridge do food.  I have a friend who does B&B for TMW walkers near Witheridge who will normally give you a lift 2 and from the TMW.
Solvitur Ambulando

Snowman

« Reply #6 on: 01:56:30, 07/04/19 »
The Two Moors' Way originally ran from Ivybridge and not Wembury, so I can't comment on those.   I set off as soon as I got to Ivybridge so no accommodation there either.   I stayed at the Church House Inn at Holne, however I understand it's recently reopened under new management so you may want to call them.   Lovely Inn though so I do recommend it if it's doing accommodation.   

However West Anstey?   Stongly suggest you find if there's any accommodation, as there wasn't when we went (ok it was about 16 years ago).   Not even a pub.   We ended up camping there (someone kindly offered to let us use a field adjoining their property).   However after an hour next morning we arrived at Hawkridge and were immediately greeted by a sign for a nearby B&B.   

Surprised you haven't gone for Chagford after Holne as there's plenty of accommodation there out of school hols.

We did have issues when we got to Simonsbath, but that was because of new ownership.   I would expect that the issue is well in the past now.

As to terrain, I walked up Hamel Down and Grimspound a couple of weeks ago and the going was fine.   It's west Dartmoor that has the difficult terrain and also the army ranges which I believe is why the Way takes an eastern route and I don't recall anything tricky over Exmoor.

Anything specific you'd like to know?

Snowman

« Reply #7 on: 02:12:30, 07/04/19 »
One point I should make.   After Grimspound the Way goes to the north of the Warren House Inn, which you would have seen in the distance from Hamel Down as it's literally in the middle of nowhere.   I never understood that and took the path that goes directly to the inn.   If you leave Holne earlyish, the Warren House is a perfect lunchtime stopover.

However to rejoin the path, note that the map to the west of the road is open moorland so for navigation purposes it's important to get to the right car park to the north of the inn.   It's the car park that has a standing stone and not the one you can see from the pub.   I know this because I got it wrong after a few pints of excellent ale.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 07:29:45, 07/04/19 »
I was in Holne  last week. The pub was closed and is up to let.
Solvitur Ambulando

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 08:55:49, 07/04/19 »
Thanks for your input ninthace and Snowman. We realise that we may have to change the route depending on accommodation. Just trying to even the days out though I know thats not always possible. We’ve discovered that Church House Inn is closed (though website says new owners coming soon) and looking at Scoriton now. There’s a couple of farms in the West Anstey area that do B&B.

Ninthace - will bear your friend in mind for a B&B. Mid Devon brand of mud!?  ;D Thats obviously different to our Suffolk brand of mud, which is clay. BlackDog Inn seems to do B&B though we haven’t tried to contact them yet.

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 09:00:24, 07/04/19 »
I was in Holne  last week. The pub was closed and is up to let.

:( that's sad. Times really have changed.
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

Snowman

« Reply #11 on: 09:58:28, 07/04/19 »
It is sad.   I even used to use it when I had business trips to Plymouth.   A bit of a drive in the morning but the Inn is so good it was worthwhile.

It was only a week or so ago that I read it was reopening in one of the local rags, so perhaps the website information is accurate.   I hope so as I was going to take the kids on a 'mini trek' from Ivybridge to Holne (with overnight camp) during the summer holidays and I was looking forward to ending it with a few pints at the Church House Inn.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 11:26:28, 07/04/19 »
It is sad.   I even used to use it when I had business trips to Plymouth.   A bit of a drive in the morning but the Inn is so good it was worthwhile.

It was only a week or so ago that I read it was reopening in one of the local rags, so perhaps the website information is accurate.   I hope so as I was going to take the kids on a 'mini trek' from Ivybridge to Holne (with overnight camp) during the summer holidays and I was looking forward to ending it with a few pints at the Church House Inn.
It was a disappointment to me too.  I had it planned as an end of walk stop - had to go to the Tavistock Inn in Poundsgate instead.
Solvitur Ambulando

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 18:24:28, 25/04/19 »

I have a friend who does B&B for TMW walkers near Witheridge who will normally give you a lift 2 and from the TMW.

Ninthace - due to lack of accommodation in certain areas we may now be staying in Witheridge and adding an extra days walking so could you possibly post your friends details or PM me? Thanks!

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 18:40:51, 25/04/19 »

Ninthace - due to lack of accommodation in certain areas we may now be staying in Witheridge and adding an extra days walking so could you possibly post your friends details or PM me? Thanks!
PM sent.  The Mitre Pub in Witheridge also does rooms.
Solvitur Ambulando

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy