Author Topic: Two moors way  (Read 2552 times)

madame cholet

• Veteran Member
Two moors way
« on: 22:59:07, 20/05/19 »
My friend fancies the west Country next year so I'm looking at 2 moors way. Any recommendations for accommodation first choice hostels and camping barns 2nd choice camping.
Any general comments too please
Great things are done when women and mountains meet.

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
Re: Two moors way
« Reply #1 on: 12:38:19, 21/05/19 »

We are walking it in the middle of June over 9 days, and there’s a thread on it, see link.  I have posted our accommodation on there, but they are pubs and B&Bs. I’m not sure that there are any hostels on or near the route, not sure about campingbarns.  It will be our most expensive LDW yet as they average £80 a night and our baggage transfers are more expensive too. Let me know if I can be of anymore help.

http://www.walkingforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=38236.0

madame cholet

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 15:55:05, 21/05/19 »
We are walking it in the middle of June over 9 days, and there’s a thread on it, see link.  I have posted our accommodation on there, but they are pubs and B&Bs. I’m not sure that there are any hostels on or near the route, not sure about campingbarns.  It will be our most expensive LDW yet as they average £80 a night and our baggage transfers are more expensive too. Let me know if I can be of anymore help.

http://www.walkingforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=38236.0
Thank you  imlooking forward to hearing about it, bnbs are out of my price range 9 days on Cumbria way cost me £130 I have to self cater too. I've sent forthe cicerone guide as a starter. Fortunately my friend drive and carries my luggage.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 16:20:47, 21/05/19 »
Thank you  imlooking forward to hearing about it, bnbs are out of my price range 9 days on Cumbria way cost me £130 I have to self cater too. I've sent forthe cicerone guide as a starter. Fortunately my friend drive and carries my luggage.
  I take it you have looked at the TMW website?
Solvitur Ambulando

madame cholet

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 16:27:36, 21/05/19 »
  I take it you have looked at the TMW website?
Just found that one thank you

madame cholet

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 15:47:23, 02/06/19 »
Getting together a rough plan having to get lifts some days due to no low cost accommodation so staying in the same place twice.

Day 1 and day 2 walk afternoon on arrival day. Wembury to ivy Bridge 2 nights at Harford bunk barn 16 m
Day 3 Ivybridge to Holne   Dartmoor shepards hut   15m
Day 4 Holne to Widdecombe Cockinford farm camping   10m
Day 5 and 6 Widdecombe to Drewsteignton The Drew Inn bunkhouse 2 nights 16 split with a lift at  Bennetts cross
Day 7 Drewsteignton to Morchard Bishop Beech Hill camping 9m
Day 8 Morchard Bishop to Witherage Wesrmiddlewich Farm camping pod  2 nights 10m
Day 9
And Day 10 Witherage to Withypool 26m split with a lift. Yha Exford
Day 11 Withypool to Simonsbath lift to YHA Exford  11m
Day 12 Simonsbath to Lynton Caffry farm camping.  12m

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 21:49:41, 02/06/19 »
The Two Moors Way is on my list as well, if all goes well I might have a go in July. I was most surprised today that on the National Rail site I can get to Ivybridge from Portsmouth for just over £20 and back from Barnstable for just a little more. I am very tempted!

madame cholet

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 19:32:04, 03/06/19 »
It looks very interesting not been to Devon for years. July would be too hot for me though

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 22:17:19, 03/06/19 »
We’re off to walk it 2 weeks today so I’m hoping June won’t be too hot for me! Had a 12.5 mile practice walk yesterday here in Suffolk and I was wilting by the end, it was pretty warm!

Mick wmexile

« Reply #9 on: 10:36:11, 04/06/19 »
We’re off to walk it 2 weeks today so I’m hoping June won’t be too hot for me! Had a 12.5 mile practice walk yesterday here in Suffolk and I was wilting by the end, it was pretty warm!

That's the day that I'll be starting the same walk, although I believe you're starting on the coast. I'm doing the original way, starting in Ivybridge and finishing in Lynmouth on the Saturday. Would have been nice to have met but obviously that won't be the case, anyway enjoy your journey, will look forward to read anything you write about your travels.
I never get lost, just don't always know where I am!

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 13:13:36, 04/06/19 »
That's the day that I'll be starting the same walk, although I believe you're starting on the coast. I'm doing the original way, starting in Ivybridge and finishing in Lynmouth on the Saturday. Would have been nice to have met but obviously that won't be the case, anyway enjoy your journey, will look forward to read anything you write about your travels.

Yes that is a shame. We are starting in Wembury, on 18th (driving down on 17th), and we’re taking 9 days so no chance of us catching you up! Fingers crossed the weather is kind for us both  :)

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 15:30:51, 01/07/19 »
We’ve just finished the walk. Really enjoyed it, varied scenery and the weather pretty good too!
One of the B&Bs we stayed in offered camping, not sure what facilities they have but I think you can get a meal if you prebook. It was Partridge Arms Farm, Yeo Mill, about 10 or so miles after Witheridge, on the edge of Exmoor. You’ll like the Drewe Arms in Drewsteignton, it’s a great pub set in a lovely square.  

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy