Author Topic: UK Three Peaks Challenge.  (Read 1460 times)

False_Summit_Veteran

UK Three Peaks Challenge.
« on: 20:49:37, 06/04/09 »
It's not funny what can happen once someone finds out you are a walker.  A random comment about hiking I made at a gig recently got me chatting to someone with a noble cause.  After yers of saying I'd never do something as naff as a Three peaks Challenge, I do my walking on my terms in my own time... this year I find myself roped in to a Three Peaks Challenge (well, it is for charity after all).

So, training... I am reasonably fit but there's room for some improvement, but I'm out every couple of weeks in the hills, when I'm not walking, I'm training for 10k's, on my days off from running I'm involved in martial arts so I'm keeping busy on the health and efficiancy front, but endurance will be my downfall if I am to fail.

Are there any tips that anyone who has done the challenge can give me regarding making sure my legs are up to the task?

As an aside, which is harder on the body the Welsh 3000's challenge or the UK Three Peaks?
Any Moel's a goal.

summitzero

• Veteran Member
Re: UK Three Peaks Challenge.
« Reply #1 on: 21:04:19, 19/04/09 »
Make sure you have a good diet and driver, end with Snowdon as its easy to do at night and keep your fluid levels high.   O0

P.s Good luck and may the force be with you  ;D
Are we there yet ?   http://walkingforlife.piczo.com

False_Summit_Veteran

« Reply #2 on: 21:09:40, 19/04/09 »
Cheers brother.   ;)

I have heard that if you are prepared, the main reason for failure is that damn traffic!

I've got a plan.  It involves getting a few milestones under my belt like Scarfel/Pike next month then on to Great Gable and trying the Yorkshire Three Peaks challenge in June in between always keeping moving in one way or another.  I think I'll be up for the slog.  I just hope I can sleep on a minibus between stops.
Any Moel's a goal.

summitzero

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 21:14:28, 19/04/09 »
Sounds daft but you know them eye things that you get on planes, well they work really well and a good spot with the pillow, the last thing you want going up is a sore kneck.

One last point that nobody really says... while you are trying to sleep and because of all the walking, cramp becomes a real pain in the [censored] at some stage... fluid and ibubrofen help  O0

False_Summit_Veteran

« Reply #4 on: 21:31:44, 19/04/09 »
I seem to be taking ibuprofen quite a lot these days, you can guarantee I've got it with me in tablet, liquid and gel form somewhere about my person.

I've found these come in very handy too for a quick shot in the arm:

Fluids are the key though, I'm always telling myself to drink more regularly.
Any Moel's a goal.

summitzero

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 20:15:44, 20/04/09 »
Yep me to, the ibuprofen seems to be one of the first things in my kit, funny age isnt it  :-\ :-[

kkm

« Reply #6 on: 21:00:34, 20/04/09 »
i used to work for a guy who would do the 3 peaks one way, then on the way back home do them again.........

what martial arts do you do FSV?

False_Summit_Veteran

« Reply #7 on: 22:42:17, 20/04/09 »
Shukokai karate kkm.  I started it to give my fast twitch muscles a blow out because the circuit training is quite intense and more varied than anything I could do in a gym I found it was teh best fitness training I'd done in years.  I liked it so much I applied for my license and the rest is history.  I'm nothing like anything you'd want to meet in the dojo, but I'm compulsive so I keep turning up, it's part of my five year plan.  O0

I take it you do a bit?
Any Moel's a goal.

Ridge Walker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 20:04:55, 23/04/09 »
Regarding fluids.
A few years ago I read an article on isotonic drinks by a nutritional expert.
One of the best is simple. Half  Orange Juice. Pure or concentrated and  half water.  2 litres for around £1. You can add any supplements of your choice if you you want. Myself, I never did.
Any one esle tried it
Worked well for me over years. As for food what would we do without the good old Bannana
« Last Edit: 20:07:55, 23/04/09 by Ridge Walker »

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy