Author Topic: How many LDPs have you done & what advice would you give others?  (Read 17229 times)

summitzero

• Veteran Member
Looking through the post, their seems to be a good few people talking about and wanting more info on LDPs.
So in a attemp to getting a good stock of info, for people, either thinking about, training for or loving the Long Distant Paths.

1. What LDPs have you done
2. what your best bit of advice
3. where and when is your next LDP

I have done about 10/12, last year was the longest walk i did and it lasted 2m 3w 4d, and covered 1252 miles. Last weekend i walk around Arran, which was great.

My best advice would be to travel as light as you can (i know am an hippocrite) and to look up as much as you can and enjoy the walk, you would be surprized by how many people go rushing past looking at the ground.

Not to sure of the next LDP, there is a few being looked at. Also there is some info on this site, wrong mileage but o.k site.
cheers Paul

walkingforlife.piczo.com
Are we there yet ?   http://walkingforlife.piczo.com

Mr. Blister

• Veteran Member
Now then, Summitzero,

Have only done one LDP so far, the Wolds Way - it seemed pretty long to me at the time, though looking at it just now on the map on your website, it seems very small.  ;)

I tried not to take much with me, and camped wild the whole way.  Took me five days.  I'd say, what I learnt most from the experience was to take someone with me next time.  At times silence would descend and I realised that I had been talking to myself for ages.

Next one I'm interested in doing is either Coast to Coast, or Hadrians Wall walk.  It's a matter of getting time off work.

How on earth did you manage to free up all that time?

Good one to you, btw. Speaking as a walker with an inherited genetic disease, which is of course incurable, I applaud you for raising awareness.  ;)

summitzero

• Veteran Member
Hi Mr Blister

I have surely been introduced to some of your family (the Blisters)  ;D

Both the walks you are thinking of doing are both great walks, i really loved the C2C, for me it seemed to have all of what you'd want from a LDP.

I have the good fortune to be self employed at present, i was'nt when i decided to do the walk though and understandably my employer at the time was not that keen (funny that)  :( , so it kind of lead me to the point i am at now and thankfully it seems to be working out o.k.

Also you are so right, it is great to be able to talk to another real person on a good long walk, otherwise you find yourself talking to your kit and yourself, which can be a bad habit to break once the walk is over  ;D ;D.

So come people, what advice can you give somebody else. Its good to share ;)

M J B

I planned to walk the pennine way for 1.5yrs. When it came down to it my mate injured his knee and 3 full days and game over. At the time it was just sinking in that 16 days is a hell of a long time to be walking day after day.

I think where my mate went wrong was not enough training carrying a FULL pack. I told him many times in the days before that he had toooo much stuff but he did not listen. When it came to actually packing our bags we added so much more little stuff and it all adds up a hell of a lot.

When i do my next LDP, i will not take much at all.

Im itching to do some LDP's but struggling to find mad people that will agree to come with me.

summitzero

• Veteran Member
I am sure that it would not be to much of a problem, to find some of the good people on here to join up for a LDP or part off.

There does seem a lot of interest in them and why not, its a great experiance.

Let us know when and where your next will be. By the way your so right about all the little items, they can really add up.

Snowman

Mentioned before but since this is more specific:

My first was the Thames Path, which I started because I live along it.   Not massively interesting although beautiful in parts. I had to do that in two sections because it's not just my employer who gets fed up if I go off for too long, it's the boss I have to worry about.

My second was the Two Moors Way, which suffers a little from having the best bit at the beginning, unless you do it southward rather than north, which seems to be the conventional route.

I then did the Cambrian Way in three sections (it's around 300 difficult miles).    Absolutely wonderful walk.

I also attempted the 6 Shropshire Summits but that was around the time of the Foot and Mouth thing so found some parts closed.

Similarly, I've done sections of other LDPs such as the SW Coast Path, but haven't completed them because I simply don't have the time (looking forward to retirement but it's still some way off).

I have also done sections of some of Europe's GR routes, but to do the whole lot of many of them is a major undertaking due to their length.

Plans?   The Coast to Coast as well, but perhaps the West Highland Way too.    I've thought of Offa's Dyke but that might be a bit of a let down after the Cambrian Way.   I've also done some planning for the Cleveland Way but abandoned the idea due to lack of places to stay on the route.   However if my latest lightweight camping project works out (see another post) then this could be resurrected:

The problem I have with LDPs is that there are two opposing options.    One is to travel light and stay at Youth Hostels, Pubs, B&Bs etc., but this gives very little flexibility.    For example if you find that you've overestimated how far you could go in a day due to the difficulty of terrain (or because you took summitzero's advice, as I do, and took the time to enjoy what you see) , it can throw out all the advance bookings you've made.   The alternative of hoping to find somewhere to stay when you get there can also be a problem when you find that the place you were expecting to get to stay at has closed or is full.

I'm a great believer in using the Youth Hostel network, however the YHA has this year instigated a large closure program, largely targeting out of the way hostels where of course there is nowhere else to stay.

The second option is to camp, which gives much more flexibility, but of course adds significantly to the weight you're carrrying when you add in a tent, sleeping bag, cooking gear, lighting etc.   And of course you miss out o the warm and cosy bed for the night.

The best advice I'd give therefore is to plan to as much detail as possible.    Get the guide book and trawl the internet.   Examine the OS maps in detail to glean as much info about the terrain as possible - we make this a bit more fun by having 'planning' meetings on Sunday evening in the pub.    Book accommodation in advance if you can, but this means you do need to be certain you can cover the distances you plan for each day.    And build in rest days, for example over a week I would set a short 5 mile section mid-week so you get the afternoon off.

Above all travel light, and if a piece of equipment can have more than one use then go for it.    For example use resealable gas cylinders so you can use one for cooking and then for lighting.   I also have a cookset with a loop handle (as opposed to a panhandle) which I acquired for a trip to Greece where the primary water supply was wells, so I could tie some string to the handle and use it to raise water.

I could go on but that will do for now I think, don't want to bore anyone.

S.

summitzero

• Veteran Member
Hi Snowman

I was'nt bored one bit and what a great bit of advice, about the rest day.

I forgot until you mentioned it but thinking back, yep i really does help on LDP, as it gives you that little bit of time to regroup and heal, as is needed sometimes.

Also if it is a big LDP, the rest day can break-up the repetive day in day out routine and helps refresh you, also it can be something to look forward to, when the going gets a bit tough.

Great idea ;D

summitzero

• Veteran Member
Come on people, the idea of this is to help others. ;D

It does'nt matter if you walked part of a LDP or all of them, you must have some advice to pass on? ;D ;D

Snowman

Another thing I like to do is use trekking trousers with cut off legs.   Now normally people think that these are so you can get the best of both worlds, i.e. have shorts when it's hot and full length trews when it's not. 

However my reason for using them is that when you arrive at a hostel/inn/B&B, if it's been muddy the likely bit to be dirty is the lower trousers.   If you have zip off legs you can remove them, wash the legs and hang them up to dry while using the shorts bit for the the remainder of the evening.    If you've got a good pair and it's necessary, these can be washed before going to bed and the whole lot will be dry in the morning.

This is also a good reason for using quality base layer products.    Unlike cotton, if you arrive at your day's destination late afternoon/early evening, and wash them immediately, they'll be dry by morning so you won't have to carry wet stuff around.    Of course you do need a second set to wear while they're drying.

Unfortunately socks aren't so obliging and I've always found I need 3 pairs for a trip.

Cheers, S.

M J B

good bit of advice snowman, thank you for that!
what brand would you recommend?

summitzero

• Veteran Member
I wear zip-offs also, if the weather is stable, as i like to wear them as shorts while walking, then zip the legs back on in the evening when the weather cools down a bit. One of my fav pair are MHW, because the back pocket fits a water bottle just right.

More good advice from the Snowman ;D

Snowman

Snowman's gonna melt with all this praise.

My equipment's a bit old by today's standards (turn of the century), but I used to buy Lowe Alpine.   The actual ranges are probably not available any more, but my cut-offs are LA as well as my T shirts and they've always served me well.

There seems to be a lot of excellent stuff out there though.   I was in Ambleside last year and had forgotten to pack any walking trousers, and since the weather was abominable I didn't want to walk with jeans.    I strolled down to one of the many gear shops and found a pair of Regatta's for about £20, not wanting to spend lots on equipment I already had.    They did get tested in the rain and performed well.

Moving on though, my perception is that colour is no longer trendy?    A few years ago nearly all waterproofs were red, bright blue, yellow, lilac, etc.    These days it's all black, dark blue, dark green etc.    While I realise that perhaps people don't want to stand out like a Christmas tree when they're on the hills, I've always held the opinion that being seen isn't such a bad thing.

Now when doing LDPs, it is good practice to tell the people you leave in the morning, where you hope to be in the evening, especially if you'll be travelling in remote terrain.   It seems to be standard practice at Youth Hostels for this information to be requested, so it is reasonable to suppose that if you don't arrive and conditions are bad then the rescue services will be called out.   If you blend in superbly with your surroundings, then my view is that you're putting them at risk as they could spend excessive time in poor conditions looking for you.

Since the current trend is for unobtrusive colours, I would therefore suggest that you all go out and buy one of those 'silver' emergency blankets.    Not only does it do what it says (i.e. provide an emergency blanket), but it is also 'seeable' for the emergency services, in fact my understanding is that they are radar reflective.

I usually carry a nice bright waterproof, but due to their very small pack size I also carry one of these blankets.    Thankfully never used.

Cheers, S.

summitzero

• Veteran Member
Yep, i agree, again. What colour would you like, any colour as long as it is black!

I believe the reason why black is the most 'pop' colour,is because the outdoor stores can sell more items. This is because nowadays their are lots of people wearing outdoor kit as a fashion statement ??? around their town centre.

The space blanket, i always carry one and if i am walking in the depths of winter, it comes in handy for extra protection on the ground, when having sweet dreams ;D.

I know that weight is a concearn when walking LDP but if you can afford the little bit of weight, then a good book is great, it breaks up the evening for you, when you would otherwise be sitting their reading everything thats been printed in your tent or the map, for the 15 time.

Were getting a good idea of vgood kit to take walking, know here is the question.

What piece of kit did you think you would really need to take but then found out, all it is doing was taking up space and adding weight to your pack??? ::)

My first piece of kit would have to be ... My water filter, when walking around the U.K. It is great around the world but just became heaavy and not needed in the U.K.

My second ... Now i do love cooking outside but on my walk last year i dropped off all my cookers and pans and ended up just using the jetboil system, its perfect for one. 

Snowman

SZ - agree with you totally regarding the book.    Even if  you're not walking on your own, you can't natter to the same person all day every day.   I work on the principle that everything in my rucksack must have a reason for being there, with the exception of a single luxury, and like yours, mine is a book.

I'm not sure what I've ditched in the past.    I use a spreadsheet to draw up a detailed list of exactly everything I intend to take, even down to insurance details if I'm abroad (some foreign rescue services won't rescue you if you can't pay).   I scrutinise this list exhaustively and lay everything out before packing - this is because the final list is so exact that I can't afford not to have everything on it.    By now, I have a list 'for every occasion', in other words I have a list for full self-sufficient trips, by country, for non-camping trips, for short trips ...

Interesting your comment on the water filter.    I've never used it in the UK, but having in the past used Iodine I would always carry it if I needed to purify water. 

In fact that's a little more advice - if you are going somewhere where you do need to purify water, buy a decent filter.   Iodinised water tastes dreadful and if you're somewhere hot and need to keep hydrated, having to drink water that tastes awful tends to lead to not drinking enough which can mean dangerous dehydration.

S

Snowman

Another bit of advice spurred by a response to another post.

Learn how to use a map and compass if you can't already, rather than relying on a GPS.    The amount of weight that you won't have to carry in spare batteries will give the a great deal of flexibility elsewhere.

S.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy