Author Topic: How many LDPs have you done & what advice would you give others?  (Read 17211 times)

kkm

first things first - i'm a newbie on this forum, and this is my first post, so be gentle with me........

the plan is to walk the pennine way, in july, over 10 days. *can see people shaking their heads from here*.......we've planned the days, and started doing some practise walks in preparation. there's two of us in the team at the moment - both fairly fit (we do karate).
the practise walks so far have included a 20km along the Headland walk (very nice it was too), when we could have walked for longer, but bad light stopped play ::)
also a 4hr 9 mile walk on the Staffordshire Way - again could have done longer but time was our enemy, and again light stopped play......
planning another little walk this saturday, 20km in the peak district, starting at parsley hay. and a snowdon trip planned with a group at the end of the month.
we walk with a day sac packed as full as we can make it to help with the weight aspect, but i'm keen to start using my biggy - 65l + 10 asap to get used to the weight. have a pop up tent to use on the actual walk as we are planning to back pack all the way..........also trying to get lots of compass/route planning work practise as well, as although we will take gps, thats more for a back up rather than to use all the time.
I'd be happy to accept any advice we can be given.
This isn't a trip we are taking lightly. we know it is going to be a challenge, but thats part of the reason for doing it. oh and to raise money for the Macmillan Cancer Support.

Snowman

Firstly kkm, welcome, and secondly I applaud your support for the MacMillan Trust.    But ...

Do you want to just do this walk or enjoy it?    Now correct me if I'm misunderstood, but it sounds to me like you'll be moving from lightly equipped, one-day 14 mile walks to fully equipped multi-day, 27 mile walks.    I know people who could do it, but they tend to be professionals - now don't be shy, you're in the SAS really aren't you?

Now I've not done the Pennine Way, but know that often even distances that you could normally cover in a matter of hours become impossible to do in a day due to terrain, and the distances you'll need to do don't allow much time for contingency for losing the trail, bad weather etc.

... and carrying a 65+10 litre sack?    Doesn't sound like you intend to travel light.    There's been a number of posts here covering lightweight trekking that might help.    By the way, try filling your daysack with a bag of sand while training.

My advice would be to check out as many 'escape routes' as possible, so that if it all becomes too much you can cut it and run.

Good luck,

S.

Emma

There is some great advice here. i'm currently thinking about my first LDP and I'm going to do Hadrian's Wall.
Even with all this advice I think i may have to resort to cheating and getting some company such as contours to plan my accomodation and also to transport my stuff.

My reasons are that:
a) I'm too sodding busy to plan it myself
b) I'm quite petite build and not very good at carrying large packs (well not last time i tried!)
c) It is my first trip so it'll be a nice easy start

Is this such a bad thing?

Mr. Blister

• Veteran Member
Emma: Doesn't sound like a bad thing to me, I'm not sure there're "rules" in this game, and to be honest, if I could afford it, would probably do the same!

I too wouldn't mind doing the Hadrian's Wall walk, partly because I'm a history nerd, and want to bore someone by stopping them every few miles and saying: "So, you see that stone, well ..." and partly because it's a beautiful part of the country.

KKM: What does that stand for? Killer Kilometre? Sounds to me like you're already a fairly experienced walker, but Snowman talks sense.  What you're taking on is an incredible challenge, which I guess is the point?  Is the sponsorship your doing aimed at completing the Pennine Way in 10 days, or just completing the Pennine Way?

I once set off to complete a LDP completely underprepared and over-burdoned.  I wanted to do it on my own.  Unlike you, I didn't bother doing any training for it, as I thought I already knew what I was doing.  I gave it up after two days, thoroughly dejected and miserable to face ridicule from all friends who said: "You'll never do it!"  Not suggesting that you're in anyway like me, just something to be careful of.  Also, you could do yourself an injury.

Good luck, bro.  ;)

summitzero

• Veteran Member
Yep totally agree again with you SM.

It is very important..... to not just to have the right maps and compass BUT you must know how to use them, one day it could certainly save a live ;)

On a somewhat lighter note, try and find out a little first/mountain aid and the MR procedure, casvac ect. ;D
Are we there yet ?   http://walkingforlife.piczo.com

Cassidy

Hey all,

Sorry to stray back to the original post topic, but here is my 2 cents,

LDP - John Muir Trail (California), Two Moors Way, The Wonderland Trail (Washington State)

My next one will be this summer, and am considering the HRP (pyrenees), or the Alps, or the west highland way (or alternative)  I have another post here asking for advice.

My advice - always pack light, and never buy cheap shoes.

cheers

summitzero

• Veteran Member
KKM Welcome, its great to hear from you and what a very good cause, I wish you all the success that you deserve, inyour LDP ;D

If i can be of any help please let me know.

I think i messed up myposts before , sorry everyone ???

Had Wall great walk.

Sorry back to KMM, I think the advice you have been givin is really good. i.e, You need to up your mileage, wearing a heavyer load, maybe do some walking on the beach as some of the terrain will not be great for loads, remember a lot of your weight will be water, as it will be hot (hopefully). Got a fair bit of info if you need any help.

Theres a map line of your walk here,   walkingforlife.piczo.com

Cheers

kkm

thanks to every one for you advice - keep it coming...

just to clarify - no, im not a secret sas member......and kkm stands for...i'll let you keep guessing...

we are planning to do longer walks as time will allow. we want ot get to the point where a 25 mile day is the norm, with the full pack with us.

like the plan for escape routes, but i do hope we wont need them...

summitzero

• Veteran Member
O.k KKM

This may be the strangest advice you will get? Join the camping and caravan club????

I know it sound very strange, i can see people rubbing the heads, the reason being is, you are going in the height of summer, when prices are at the highest, anwhere between £6 18, thats right a lot of cash just to wash and sleep but if you are in the club (so to speak, then they will always try and find you a pitch, which after along day is good ;D and the price can be half, what you would pay if you was'nt a member ;)   Oh and they dont mind ringing ahead to help you find a pitch later on, which can be a gods send.

I know people like to wild camp, i do myself but over a long period its nice to refresh the battries, also about 10 miles past once brewed, about 5 mins of the track, there is a wind gen camping ground,   this is a really good place to stop... The reason they have very big baths, yep baths, know i dont know about anybody else but when you have been walking for days, days, days, a bath is so (cant find the words) but if you stop here you'll know what i mean ;D

kkm

that really is some sound advice..........ta for that!

summitzero

• Veteran Member
No problem

dont forget your rubber duck  ;D ;D

walkinggirluk

• Veteran Member
I have done my first LDP which i enjoyed so much that i planning my nxt one thing is not sure on.  Which one to choose next.  Hadrian’s Wall, Highland Drovers' Trail or  the Southern Upland Way.  I'll make my mind soon enough.
peace and tranquillity in the countryside. clean your rubbish up after you  respect it.

clean it bin it

Snowman

Yes I think once you've done one, you get the bug.    I find there's something really satisfying about covering long distances entirely by your own effort.    Sort of takes you back to what travel must have been like before 'Trains, Planes and Automobiles'.

S

walkinggirluk

• Veteran Member
I have now decided on a LDP the Great Glen Way and the Highland Drovers' Trail which way i don't know yet as both of these end up in Fort william so world's my oyster. Or should i say!.   If i started at Inverness ended up at  Skye or the other way a round. I was thinking of doing one of the munros the munro which he  did'nt do i think it called the in pin. I my be wrong not to sure on this, :)
« Last Edit: 09:21:27, 18/04/07 by walkinggirluk »
peace and tranquillity in the countryside. clean your rubbish up after you  respect it.

clean it bin it

Snowman

The other day I was chatting over a pint with my regular walking companion, and was reminded of something that could translate to a useful piece of advice when doing a long distance trek.

Quite simply, don't be afraid to fail.

During one of our European treks, we were high in the mountains in extreme heat.   At the height we were at there was no shade whatsoever, and my colleague finally had to admit that he could no longer continue upwards.    So I sat down to work out our options, and after about 10 minutes was forced to admit that there were none, other than to go back.   We only had limited daytime so had to find somewhere to stay the night, but I found a village on the map and we went there.    I had thought of going on alone, but that could have been dangerous to me and also my colleague needed someone to keep an eye on him, remembering that heat and altitude can cloud one's judgement

I know that some people feel that they have to keep going to their schedule no matter what, however there is a degree of irresponsibility in this, since it could also endanger those who may have to get them out of trouble.    If anyone ever says to me that the trip mentioned above was a 'failure', my response is simply 'so be it', but at least we're both alive to have another go.

S.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy