Author Topic: Pennine way  (Read 13142 times)

kkm

Re: Pennine way
« Reply #15 on: 01:42:19, 15/09/07 »
thought it was about time i gave an update.......

OK, well we left edale on a sunny (?) Monday morning, bright eyed (well maybe) and a heavy back pack to boot. and that was the lightest i could get it.....anyway, all was well for the first few miles, Jacobs ladder was a piece of p.. er easy. however once at the top, the visibility was very poor, and low and behold we lost our way slightly....GPSS pointed us back in the right direction, however, i managed to slip and hurt my left knee - great. so the rest of the 15 miles was interesting to say the least. thank heavens for poles. now our plan was to do edale to standedge (28 miles) in one day. bad plan. we stopped at crowden. pitched the tents, admired my blisters, ate and slept.

day 2 and on to standedge. can i just say i was wowed by the views. this really is a beautiful country we live in.  11 miles to do. and on the whole it was all good. just kept telling myself that this is the hardest two days and we if we could do those to days, we could complete it..... spent the night in the grounds of a pub - great food! and great land lord.  nice touch for us - as we were walking across the reservoir we came across some work men on a tea break - bless them they took pity on us and made us a cuppa. that was the best cup of tea i've ever tasted!

day 3 was an early start. by this point we had made friends with a guy called Dave who was doing lejog. Really wish i had taken his phone number, this guy was truly wonderful. full of advice for us novices, and to be honest i really dont think we would have got as far as we did with out him. i think this day was one of my favourites. bacon butties at the snack van on the a672 near windy hill....crossing the m62...i really felt i was getting somewhere.  walking speed was improving and i was feeling good. lots of blisters, but feeling good. made it up to stoodleypike monument, and started to make our way down to hebden bridge.
now here is where i learned a valuable lesson. remember to eat. even if you do have indigestion and feel sick, still eat. otherwise you are going to run out of energy, and struggle. from hebdon bridge we made our way on to jacksbridge, where we camped for the evening. the climb out of hebden bridge is a [censored] to say the least, and i was soon learning, every day started with a climb and ended with a down hill. and learning a few lessons as well.

day 4 - and on to lothersdale. cant remember a lot about this day - except my feet and boots being wet at the end of it.  i seem to remember walking over lots of moor land and it being very foggy. found it kept me going by running though the musical score of "oliver" in my head. it worked. kept my speed up good on the first half, but saw it tail off again in the 2nd part. another overnight stop, this time in a make shift camp site which was really someones front garden! but very hospitable, and dried my boots for me.

day 5 - to malham.  again the day started well. i felt as though i was feeling OK. knee was a bit sore still, blisters sore still (too many to count), and the weather wasn't bad. was looking froward to doing a stint along the river and the canal, and a bit of shopping in gargrave. trouble is, things dont always go to plan. probably less than 4 miles in on our 16 mile day i slipped slightly in a field. very slightly, but enough to tear my thigh muscle. kept thinking i would walk it off, but that wasn't happening. stopped for a quick drinks break and took the weight of my leg, only to find i couldn't put alot back on it. painkillers taken, and not bothered face put on, and on we went. slowly. i equate the pain i was feeling to childbirth - fro you guys out there excruciating. walking with another person will push you on. i knew i couldn't just stop - i had to get to gargrave. how i got there i'm really not sure. and it started to rain. double whammy. but we got there, and after getting me into a bus shelter to have a rest, rob (my companion) went off to shop, feed me, find a chemist for me to go to, and get me a cup of coffee. the chemist shop was helpful, and two supports later - one for each leg and the strongest painkillers she could give me, off we went on to malham. and it rained. and rained. and rained. soaking wet we pitched our tents, showered, ate and slept, wondering what the next day would bring.

day 6 brought a soaking wet backpack and for rob soaking wet clothes and sleeping bag. and a heavy pack because of it. not the best of days. fountains fell was very bleak and windy. and pen y Ghent - nice to look at but very windy.  so we cheated and took the path around it. a good plan as it happened - my legs were not up to it and i was really starting to struggle, thus worrying about putting rob in danger with me not being 100 percent. hobbled into Horton, tent pitched, pub meal eaten, and sleep.

day 7 and on to hawes, and knowing that we could finally wash our kit and get it properly dry when we got there. first part of the day went well, was struggling a little bit, but managing ok. still felt guilty as i was holding rob back. he had a much quicker pace than me, and had to keep waiting for me to catch up, secretly he was enjoying the ten minute break he got every half an hour.......
the hill down to hawes was just the worst experience i had. injuries now ran to dodgy knee, ankle, and leg, and i was really struggling to put one foot in front of the other. it was at this point i decided i really couldn't go on. i was going to have to bail. it simply wasn't right to put Rob through having to get me from a to b any more.

alot of soul searching went on over the next few hours and a plan was formulated. i didn't want to bail, we were doing this for charity, and i wanted to see it through.  the only way i was going to do this was to loose weight from my rucksack, and so we managed to between us to loose 8kg, which was posted back home, which included my tent, and any clothes we hadn't worn. also the small stove and tins/mugs went as well. shall we just say we had learned the lesson of travelling light very well.

day 8 - and a short day to keld. the difference after losing the weight was terrific. i was actually able to climb up hills now in one go. eureka! managed to lose our way at the very end of the day, the trail just seems to disappear, but we made it to keld in the light.

day 9 -  and onto Bowes - and the only campsite i've been on where i've had a shower in a cow shed while listening to radio 2 - i kid you not! managing to get into camp early, the sun was shining, and after a doze in the sun, all was good.

day 10 onto middleton in teesdale - again a short day before what we knew would be a long day the next day. and again it rained, and we got very wet......meh......my injuries where still there, but mellowing a little. rob however was starting to feel his Achilles.  after a good rest though we felt ready to tackle the next stage.

day 11 to dufton. now we knew this was going to be a long day, but i didn't realise just how difficult it was going to be.  the first 8/9 miles are great, and we were moving very well - we even posed for photographs. however then next section is alot more tricky, and saw us scrambling over rock, and then scrambling up them to cauldron snout. i think the main problem was that it  had started to rain, and this made the rocks very slippy. i spent most of the time on my bottom. and after that the weather just got worse. i have never known rain like it, and we found ourselves in a thunder storm. the rain was getting so bad it was becoming difficult to distinguish the paths from the streams - they just looked the same.  high cup nick, which should have been one of the most beautiful parts of the walk, quickly turned into the most frightening. wild horses along the ridge was unnerving enough, but walking on the ridge, which was becoming increasing more dangerous was one of the most frightening things i have ever come across. the rain had turned what should have been a trickle of water into a torrent over incredibly slippy rocks and true to form, i ended up on my bottom yet again. by this point i just wanted to get off this mountain and down into the valley. the last "mile" which incidentally turned out to 3 (thanks rob!) were the longest i travelled on the walk. i was so relieved to get to dufton. water proofs had well and truly failed, and we made the wise decision to book into the youth hostel.

once there it was becoming obvious that we really shouldn't carry on. i had managed to damage my shoulder when i fell, and robs Achilles was twice the size it should be. we decided to sleep on it and take a rest day, and take stock.

next morning, and after walking into the nearby town, a trip to the chemist, and the train station we decided to call it a day.

so 169 miles and 11 days into the walk and it was over.

at first i was very disappointed. the goal we set ourselves of 268 miles in 10 days went out of the window on the first day. we quickly revised the schedule, thanks to Dave, and 14 days became our target. then after picking up the injuries it went to 16 days, with the possibility of me bailing after 14, and rob doing the last section with Dave. and then it was over. it took a few days to sink in what we really had done and just what we had achieved.  and we learned some valuable lessons about the kit we were using. all my waterproofs failed, boots let me down, and basically pants. the backpacks had buckles snapping on them....so alto of rethinking will be done for the next adventure.

but the pennine way is unfinished business, and it will be completed in the future.   

unixnut

« Reply #16 on: 18:44:21, 15/09/07 »
Well Done KKM (& Rob),
Enjoyed reading everyone painful mile of your log (something wrong with me ?).
Best of luck with your next attempt!

walkinggirluk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 19:56:10, 15/09/07 »
Hi there KKM!! Sorry to hear about your trip I think you did really well,don't think for one minute you failed when did you start it, as my Partner (titaniumdude).  Doing the Pennine way as I post this, he's in Hawes  at the moment just had pizza from Paul's pizza lol and sat outside the four pubs that are there and just Phoned me from the phone box outside the pizza place his words where" fvck me were having pizza on the Pennine Way". Laughing his head of, his knee are starting to hurt now though. Don't feel disappointed there always a next time like I always say the weather is  so unpredictable in this country I think you did very well to get out of the electrical storm, I been caught in a full blown electrical storm and it not nice hats off to you.

Have to say that these days I'm over cautious with these lightning warnings. I've never been caught out whilst summit pitching, but have been caught in a pretty scary storm.
It was almost exactly over a year ago now. Taking a short circuit around Kinder Scout from Edale I commented 'what's that odd smell?'. 'Thats ozone m'dear' I answer and as if right on cue we heard the first thunder. Now I'm no fool, but we were about 3/4 across Kinder plateau and I thought 'shall I deck back or try and do the circuit anyway?'. Could see the lightning flashes now so I counted the time between flash and thunder and the storm was actually moving away. We were already in the strike zone, but hell, onwards we went. Got to Kinder Downfall and stopped for a brew. No rain, storm still moving away. Then something crazy happened. The storm started to move back into the valley and the time between flash and thunder rapidly got less. The skies opened and the downpour was phenomenal. Kinder Downfall went from a trickle to a tumult in seconds. We decked out quick and skirted the summit. Then the first visible strike hit. Time between flash and thunder now......zero seconds. Then a strike hit the ground about a hundred feet to my left, that was it, we ran several hundred feet down the north slope, found a rock pile, sat on our packs and adopted the 'lightning safe' position (LOL, what a misnomer, it just diverts the strike away from your heart). So I'm sat there with mr TD for an age, the storm is right over us, big black all encompassing cloud and where we were sat having a brew at Kinder Downfall, 1/2 a mile back, was now being peppered with bolts. This was extremely frightening and extremely exhilarating at the same time.  I started singing....'I'm singing in the rain....'. Totally inappropriate, but I had to smile. Then I noticed something odd. Just a mild sensation at first, but this rapidly intensified. My hands, the only exposed part of my body apart from face, started tingling, this escalated to an itch and then to an uncomfortable almost painful itch. This my folks is the sensation of 'static discharge'. It means that the earth was trying to use me as a channel to meet those lovely looking million volt bolts I was admiring. I'm sure that if I took my hood down my hair would've stood on end. So I thought 'slobbocks, lightning safe position my [censored], the only way I'm gonna be safe is if I'm off this hill'. I nudged Mr TD into gear and we ran the rest of the route and cut it way short by decking across the access land towards Jacobs Ladder.

So in answer to your question, I listen very carefully to the weather reports regarding lightning and in particular the MWIS report. I have cancelled at least 3 trips since this experience due to lightning warnings cos it scared the crap outa me. My hands were still tingled the next day. Would I trade this experience for the Crown Jewels though? Would I hell as like.

« Last Edit: 22:15:26, 15/09/07 by walkinggirluk »
peace and tranquillity in the countryside. clean your rubbish up after you  respect it.

clean it bin it

kkm

« Reply #18 on: 22:16:02, 15/09/07 »
we began the walk on the 9th of july - but i've only just got round to doing a report......!

hawes was my favourite place on the walk - it was civilised! send my best wishes to titanium dude, and i hope the weather is less soggy now than in july  :)

walkinggirluk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 22:30:30, 15/09/07 »
The weather as been beautiful he said  , but its the start of the Foot and Mouth you can't win.  He's been phoning me when he gets chance too, seriously the weather was bad in July we've not had the weather as we did last year, we did the WHW this year and I got a very bad ankle injury(Achilles tendinitis).  On the first day  but the weather was really good sunny hot  and all until the last day, were it poured down wind was up to 60Mph I was taking 10 steps back and three forward. I seriously think you did really well good story and you learn from this and next time well be better.  Sounds fantastic though.  I had to send them food to Dufton as the post office is now closed there.  Whether IT was closed when you got there or not
« Last Edit: 22:55:37, 15/09/07 by walkinggirluk »
peace and tranquillity in the countryside. clean your rubbish up after you  respect it.

clean it bin it

Mr. Blister

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 08:40:54, 16/09/07 »
Excellent report, KKM .. you really feel it, the passion was obvious.  O0

WalkingGirl - pass on my best to Titanium as well please  :)

walkinggirluk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 23:26:12, 21/09/07 »
Just to add to this he's doing fantastically I well proud of him he just entered Greenhead. he knees are holding out thank god. Tomorrow he off to wind shield or something not to sure, but the weather as not been to bad for him as been bad in some parts, said he's looking forward to a bath and his bed.  lol only 7 days to go.  he's enjoyed every second off it.

clean it bin it

summitzero

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 23:57:17, 23/09/07 »
W/G

If he's at greenhead he is not far from a wonderful wind energy hot bath in the woods ?

Wish him all the best from me he's doing great..

Sorry KKM...

Also you said you failed......... ? no you did not, the both of you worked really hard by the sounds of it and i think you both are great. Remember to do any LDP is really hard work (trust me i know, LoL) but you covered that distance on the spine of all of them, well done.

Alos if you want to do the PW next year, can i just say the the PW assiation is in trouble and they need members and committee members to join them, i think the full membership is about £4 pound and their magazine is a really good read.
Are we there yet ?   http://walkingforlife.piczo.com

walkinggirluk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 17:45:28, 24/09/07 »
Hi Summitzero he's in bellingham at the moment he rang me last night only three more days left, I sent you mail summitzero. But thanks for asking.

clean it bin it

walkinggirluk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 22:29:48, 25/09/07 »
Well am off to kirk yetholm tomorrow tomorrow to bring my fella home on Thursday yippee yippee...whether he's in one peace or not am not sure but looking forward to seeing him.

clean it bin it

kkm

« Reply #25 on: 23:22:13, 21/02/08 »
well our intention this year is to complete the pennine way from where we left off last year, and its timer to start planning.

our biggest question is when to start it.

we have appprox 100 miles left from dufton to kirk yeltholm.

we thought we had had cracked it last year, doing the walk in the middle of july. however we had unfortunately managed to pick two of the wettest weeks of the year, following the flooding in yorkshire.

so...........to anyone who's done it - when do you think we should try it?

also wimping out this time, and planning to b&b/youth hostel etc etc it....

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 23:59:42, 21/02/08 »
I don't think you can exactly predict when the best weather will be - BUT - I always think that May is a good time for this sort of thing - plenty of daylight and there's a reasonable chance of good weather - and probably not tooooo hot for comfy walking..... and the school holidays havent started ,so its fairly easy to find a bed.

Having said that, I did the PW in May and, apart from the first three days, and a couple of days in the middle, it chucked it down big time....

But then there's June.....

Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

See the blog!  www.northernpies.blogspot.com

Solofool

« Reply #27 on: 23:16:21, 06/03/08 »
Wish me luck as i am about to embark on Easter Friday, want to do it in 15 days but have allowed 17 just in case, going to do it wild camping without a tent (gulp, have tarp and bivvy bag) will use some campsites depending on where i end up. But the basic paln is to start on day one and enjoy 15 days of solo bliss!!
Going as light as i can and wearing trail shoes and not boots (gortex free) as although i have boots and yeti gaitors i find it much eaiser to walk through mud and streams in the shoes and and socks and let the shoes pump out the water and dry within in half an hour instead of slowly adding weight as the gortex lining in the boots soaks up water and never dries.
My only concession to weight is my beloved exped mattress filled with down and inflates to 9cm high for the warmth and good nights sleep.
10 days dehidrated food, gass cooker and titanium mug (with cozey)spork , wash Kit(including baby wipes) and spare set of clothes.

If it rains for 15 days then i guess i get wet!! good thing about a tarp is that i can put it with my walking sticks for lunch breaks (and fag breaks, yes i know how awfull) and eat in the dry.

Will post kit list and weights just before i go to give you an idea.

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 00:29:10, 07/03/08 »
Best of luck, solofool - should be fab - maybe a bit chilly in March, though eh?
Sounds heroic  with just a tarp, though!  Maybe we'll get some nice, spring weather by the end of the month.
Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

See the blog!  www.northernpies.blogspot.com

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 13:11:24, 07/03/08 »
 KKM wrote

so...........to anyone who's done it - when do you think we should try it?

Impossible to say.I have done the route seven times and each time the weather was different. If I was to say a specific time it would be the same as Mike has suggested,perhaps the second two weeks in May,due to longer daylight hours and the chance of some settled weather.Rain isn't too much of an issue if you are doing B&B as its far easier to dry your clothes.

Solfool,good luck,but somehow the thought of lying on a wet mattress,under a tarp,in pouring rain,dosen't quite appeal to me.It reminds me of a guy called Bivvi John who I met on the PW back in 1989.He had a waterproof sleeping bag and lived on cold food.The last time I saw him was at Keld where he was lying in his "waterproof" sleeping bag in pouring rain on the banks of the Swale eating cold porridge! ;D look foward to your report.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy