Author Topic: 4 Day Route Suggestions  (Read 563 times)

1500lego

4 Day Route Suggestions
« on: 19:07:28, 30/03/17 »
Hello everyone!

I'm planning to go to the Lake District this Summer, and I was wondering whether anyone could help me out in choosing a route to go on for 4 days getting the best of the scenery...

In terms of walking, me and my friend are happy to go anywhere up to 25km per day, as otherwise we might find ourselves rushing and not enjoying it as much!

If anyone has any suggestions, please feel free, as otherwise we're pretty clueless.

Thanks!

henryb

• Veteran Member
Re: 4 Day Route Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: 19:39:05, 30/03/17 »
Coniston round - 7 peaks above 700 metres; Fairfield Horseshoe - 8 peaks around 20km; Bowfell/Crinkles/Pike of Blisco from ODG in Great Langdale (my favourite walk); Helvellyn from Wythburn; Helvellyn is probably the most popular summit. Ambleside is a good place to stay with good bus connections - 505 for Coniston; 516 for Great Langdale; 555 for Wythburn. Any more details just ask :)

1500lego

« Reply #2 on: 19:53:47, 30/03/17 »
Coniston round - 7 peaks above 700 metres; Fairfield Horseshoe - 8 peaks around 20km; Bowfell/Crinkles/Pike of Blisco from ODG in Great Langdale (my favourite walk); Helvellyn from Wythburn; Helvellyn is probably the most popular summit. Ambleside is a good place to stay with good bus connections - 505 for Coniston; 516 for Great Langdale; 555 for Wythburn. Any more details just ask :)

Absolutely love the idea mate. Only thing is, we'd really like to do Scafell Pike- It's almost a rite of passage when coming to the Lake District I hear!

And also, we'd have to do one of these on the same day as we arrive from London, so probably starting around  1300-1400 I imagine; Which is the shortest of all these/which will take the least time overall?

henryb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 20:20:06, 30/03/17 »
As soon as I hit 'post' I thought about Scafell Pike :)  Wasdale and Seathwaite are the usual starting points. Wasdale is hard to get to using public transport. You get can to Seathwaite using the Borrowdale rambler 78 from Keswick which is 45 minutes from Ambleside. Seathwaite is the more scenic option. Seathwaite - Sty Head Tarn - Lingmell colony - Scafell Pike - Broad crag ridge to Esk Hause - Glaramara Valley - Seathwaite is a route I've done. 10 miles in 6 hours. Coniston round took me 5.5 hours. Fairfield Horseshoe - 6.25 hours. Helvellyn I've yet to do. Great Langdale - 7 hours. I'd recommend Wansfell Pike or Loughrigg fell or Silver How for the day of arrival :)  The others probably take a day to do. :)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 21:03:56, 30/03/17 »
If you have an Android phone you could download the Wikiloc app, I've used it in the Lakes, there are so many routes to choose from. I find it really useful.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy